Planning our destination wedding ~ Turkey September 2012 **Pics added!!**

Elliebank

♥Mummy to Katie & Ethan♥
Reaction score
We haven't actually set a date yet but will hopefully be doing soon, so I'd thought I'd start a journal then I can get tips on where to start!

I have been with my partner Chris for almost 14 years and we have 2 children, Katie and Ethan. TBH I was starting to think he'd never propose and it was getting me down a bit. On 5th march this year it was my 30th birthday and I was hopeful he'd propose, as I knew whatever he was getting me he had had to get a credit card for! My presents off him had a diamond theme, the card had 'diamonds' on, he bought me Armani diamond perfume and a mug that had a diamond ring as the handle. He also bought me a toiletry set that was in a mini suitcase, and when I opened it there were tickets for Paris for the following weekend :shock: By this point I was very hopeful that he was going to propose but was also worried that I was getting my hopes up.

We went to Paris the following Friday and boy did he make me sweat! I kept thinking he had the perfect opportunity to do it but he didn't! I felt a bit upset, that'd I'd been stupid to think he was gonna propose. But the bugger was making me wait on purpose :roll: On the last night we went for a walk over the Pont Des Arts bridge over the river Seine and he told me he had one final birthday present and took out the ring and asked me to marry him :cloud9: The ring is gorgeous and just what I'd choose, I'm feeding Ethan at the mo but will take a pic later.

We discussed the wedding straight away and he openly admitted that he wants to be married, but will be dreading the wedding. He doesn't like being the centre of attention, and doesn't want to make a speech. So I think we are going to have a quiet wedding with just family during the day (although I have a big family so it will be at least 60 people) and then invite friends at night. We don't want a church wedding so will get married in a hotel where we will have the reception. We can't afford to be spending a lot, so I want to ensure we don't go silly with spending and shop around for bargains. My mum and dad have kindly said they'll pay £5k towards so I'd like to not spend much more than that, if possible.

I will have 2 bridesmaids, my 2 best friends, and Katie will be a flower girl and Ethan a page boy. Not sure when yet, hopefully summer of next year, possibly the year after.

I am going to a wedding fayre with my mum on Sunday so will hopefully get an idea of what we need to be organising, and an idea of cost as I haven't got a clue!! I was quite pleasantly surprised at how cheap wedding dresses can be, the ones I was looking online at today were around £100-£150.

So what are the first things we need to be thinking about? I need to see when the registrar is free don't I before deciding a date? Any tips for keeping costs down? :flower:

ps re saving costs, I bought my dress off the rack. It was $400 instead of $2000. It needed some beadwork to fix but the alterations/fixes cost me $100 so I came out ahead. It will depend on if it would bug you or not and of course the shape the dress is in after being tried on.

Other cost savings were our location was in a village rather than resort and so venue was really informal and not fancy. Wouldn't say it was my dream wedding but I'm glad we didn't go into debt with the whole thing either.

My ring -

https://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m501/elliebank/ecf2f84e.jpg

Awww that is sooo romantic :cloud9:

My OH is the same. He is dreading being the centre of attention but can't wait to get married xxx

aww how romantic!!!! I'm a tad jealous...I wont tell you my story :blush: So excited for you two!! It will be the perfect day no matter how big or small you decide to do it. Neither me or my DH wanted to get up in front of people either, but it really wasn't all that bad in the long run. :hugs:

Came across a website you might want to check out, has thousands and thousands of ideas for every part of your special day :)

https://weddinggawker.com/

I'm getting my journal moved back in here :haha: people look at it more.

R.E: the wedding dress look in January too, I got mine reduced from £985 to £95.

Costs for 60 people at £5k and an evening bit is very realisitic :) ours is 9K with 120 :)

Yeah I was telling my mum about yr dress twig, we're defo gonna look in the January sales! Is there a pic of it in yr journal or is it a secret?

When I clicked on that website Rhonda found it popped up saying it has an iPhone app so now I have downloaded loads of wedding apps to help me! :thumbup:

My dress is a secret but here ;)

It's nicer than that IRL and a bit different to that as I have more detailing on mine x

Edit: My train is also way bigger :)

Oh advice r.e dress, do go in and try on plenty, even styles you wouldn't normally try on, try them on with jewellery, veils, shoes, chances are you'll find something you'd never have though of :) that's what I did with my mine. Before that I had a grecian style with a small train.

LOVE your ring! the diamond is the star and that makes it so stunning!!!

Ooh that dress is lovely Twig!

:wave:

Yay! :dance:

:wedding:

From your parenting journal, I like the first dress of those 4 you posted. It's lovely and I could totally see you in it! But I also tend toward simpler styles in my taste.

Your ring is beautiful. Mine is like that -- the diamond is the only stone in a very simple setting. I love those! It makes the stone shine and stand out, imo.

I was looking online at venues yesterday. We are going to a 2nd wedding fayre a week on sun at a venue that offers a 'credit crunch' wedding, which is £2k for 30 during the day and 100 at night (which you can add to) and I also found one that has one for £2k which is for 40 during the day and 80 at night, and they also said that they offer all inclusive wedding packages if you get married on a Sunday or Friday, so I have emailed them for details :thumbup: We will defo get married on a 'cheaper day'

Good plan, we couldn't do a weekday as Liam couldn't get the time off of work :lol:

Your so organised already, just with your ideas! :lol:

We picked a Friday because it was a cheaper day. Everything like cars seems to be cheaper on a weekday xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->