Planning to self examine (VE's)

Celesse

Reaction score
I'm looking for those planning on self examining internals, or those who have experience of doing so.

I'm currently aiming for a hospital VBAC. I want to avoid going in too early and avoid being put on the imaginary count down to repeat section (not that I'd consent) so I'm wanting to self examine at home and possibly at hospital. I can find my cervix pretty easily when sat on the toilet. Consultant is aware of my plans and supportive and has recomended that I come into hospital at 5cms.

Just considering the cervix and no other signs I'll know when labour is established because I know what my cervix feels like now, and will know it is changing and dilating. But I don't think it will be easy to accurately recognise when its 5cms. Plus I don't want to be thinking "need to get to 5cm, then go in" as I don't think that will be helpful in labour and will get me out of the zone. I'm also unsure about infection issues during labour, should I be gloved, sterile gloves, or just when waters have gone?

You need to get a can of coke, measure it then measure the gap between your fingers when theyre at each side of the can IYKWIM? Then you know what Xcm feels like and can gauge it off that.

Not got a coke can to hand, but the round bit of a tommee tippee cup is measuring 5.5cm. So I reckon hospital when I'm dialted that much. Sat here with eyes closed getting a feel for it.

yeah anything circular will do :)!

There is no risk of infection while your membranes are intact - even after they go, because you are in the process of birthing the baby out you can still just check your cervix with cleans hands. x

I was thinking about doing this as I too do not want to go into hospital until at least 4-5 cm. I will purchase a can of coke or similar asap & get to know my cervix lol!

I have also considered this even though I am planning a hb more nervous about dialating early. However I can barely feel my vagina to wipe so I doubt I will be able to reach my cervix in the next 4-6wks lol maybe hubby can do it=)

Maybe a silly question! When your feeling is it how much the cervix can stretch or should it feel that open so to speak lol.

I think that in the early stages and before labour its how much it stretches to. When baby is coming down during labour and is well applied to the cervix the head holds it open.

I reckon I'm about 1-2cm. How effeced I feel depends changes. Sometimes, especially if I've done a lot of walking and baby is low down it feels like the walls of the cervix have pretty much gone and it almost stays open itself. After a good nigts rest the walls of the cervix are about 1cm+ long and the os appears closed but can be opened. It's very much like pushing your finger between kissy lips, no resistance.

I don't know if a midwife or consultant would agree with what I'm feeling, but I think the biggest advantage of self examination is consistency. I know when my cervix feels different.

Thanks for that. I'd say mines like 2cm ish long and is slightly open as you've described but I read that can be normal after already having a child. I don't get the effaced bit where should the cervix be when labours getting close?
Xxx

make sure you're measuring your inner OS and not your outer too.

I'm getting really confused now ha ha what's os? I really need to read up on this stuff lol. X

theres like an outer hole and an inner hole LOL i'll find a pic as its hard to describe.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Gray1167.svg/250px-Gray1167.svg.png

So to examine the inner part I'm guessing you have to be in labour and dilating externally?? Cause at the moment that should be full of plug wont it? I really want to hold off ve's from the mw but want to know how I'm doing in early labour which they won't be around for anyway.

yeah. 2nd time mums often have a dilated outer OS anyway.

https://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/moogsmum/e7e6adf0.jpg

i laughed at the cheerio cause imogen had a obsession with them at the moment! the bagel scares me ha ha!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->