Please share your thoughts on travel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GonnaBaMama

Reaction score
I have 2 weeks off in August and I want to travel to Europe (as this was our plan before I found out I was prego). I will be just starting my 15th week when we go, can anyone share their thoughts on traveling at this time? My doctor said medically its fine, but personally he wouldn't because "what if something goes wrong"..... Thoughts?

Something can go wrong anywhere. I would say life doesn't stop when you are pregnant and would go and do it.

I would do it. Could be your last chance until your baby is older! Just make sure you have good travel insurance, don't eat anything dodgy and avoid slums lol.

I'm not planning to 'travel' as such but I'm going on holiday to Spain in 2 weeks time. I have Europe on my doorstep and dearly wish I had traveled before I had kids.

How long are you going for? I am SO jealous :) You will have a great time :)

In my last pregnancy we travelled around California for 3 weeks when I was 16 weeks. We had a great time, I just made sure I had adequate travel insurance. So I'd say go for it!

I'm supposed to be flying to the US in a week and a half!!! Alone!!!! For 2 weeks travelling...... I've also had a bleed.

No idea what I'm doing anymore! Will be interested in the advice you get!

15 weeks is an ideal time, we are planning on Spain for Christmas, I'll just have to be back fairly quickly due to the flight cut off. I'm due beginning of February.
Xx

I agree with your doctor so I wouldn't do it.
Also women have a bigger chance of getting a blood clot to the lung when pregnant than they do otherwise (this cab kill you within no time). Flying also increases risk for a blood clot. Put the two together and you compound the risk. It's still a tiny risk but I'm all about minimising every risk I can so I wouldn't do it. (But then I've also had a blood clot before).

It's up to you - plenty if women do it but that's really not the point. Plenty of women also drink, smoke and eat sushi while pregnant. It's not about whether others do it or not it's about how risk averse YOU are. What others do will be no comfort if things do go wrong. Being true to how You feel about it is best.

Eating most sushi IS fine btw, and flying is not harmful during pregnancy - says the nhs website. Xx

I agree with your doctor so I wouldn't do it.
Also women have a bigger chance of getting a blood clot to the lung when pregnant than they do otherwise (this cab kill you within no time). Flying also increases risk for a blood clot. Put the two together and you compound the risk. It's still a tiny risk but I'm all about minimising every risk I can so I wouldn't do it. (But then I've also had a blood clot before).

It's up to you - plenty if women do it but that's really not the point. Plenty of women also drink, smoke and eat sushi while pregnant. It's not about whether others do it or not it's about how risk averse YOU are. What others do will be no comfort if things do go wrong. Being true to how You feel about it is best.

I respect your choice to not fly when pregnant and I also respect your right to give your opinion on why you won't in this thread, it's good to have differing opinions. I do think it's unfair, however, to compare a pregnant person choosing to go on holiday to a pregnant person choosing to smoke or drink. The general medical advice given is that flying in pregnancy is safe unless a doctor advises otherwise. The same can't be said for smoking and drinking in pregnancy.

Totally forgot I bookmarked this yesterday!!!!!!!!!

https://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.d2506?keytype=ref&siteid=bmjjournals&ijkey=1mz6xaRb9H5is

GO! It may be your last chance for a while. You're going to safe countries it's not like you're going to some third world country. You'll have a great time.

My plan is to fly 2000kms interstate at 39 weeks to a family wedding lol so i'd totally go at 15 weeks :)

Wishing check the airline policy, the latest I can find is the end of the 35th week, some are 34 or even 32 weeks. Xx

Eating most sushi IS fine btw, and flying is not harmful during pregnancy - says the nhs website. Xx

It's not fine if it has raw fish in it and it's not fine if it has other meat in it and has been left out in only a semi frozen state during the day. That's what OUR government tells us - in Australia. Google the risks of clotting if you don't believe me. The risks are small but they are there.

Eating sushi ...
https://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/is-it-...regnancy.aspx?categoryid=54&subcategoryid=216
https://www.seafish.org/eating-seafood/seafood-for-health/seafood-during-pregnancy

And flying

https://www.rcog.org.uk/news/rcog-r...significant-risk-woman-or-her-baby-say-expert

Eating sushi ...
https://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/is-it-...regnancy.aspx?categoryid=54&subcategoryid=216
https://www.seafish.org/eating-seafood/seafood-for-health/seafood-during-pregnancy

Jesus - any meat that's left out in those half freezing refrigerators they have in sushi stores or sandwich bars is NOT safe - there's a risk of bacteria that could cause miscarriage.

But you go ahead and eat it if you want. I guess we have higher health care and prenatal standards here.

Re flying - the risk is quite low but it's foolish to think there's no risk.

https://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/_documents/consumer_pdf/pregnancy-brochure.pdf

There

Choclover, clearly there's risk in anything, I do eat sushi thank you, mostly from reputable sushi restaurants, but yes out of a chilled cabinet is fine with me as I know there are strict temperature checks and policies they have to stick to.
There's really no need to take that tone, or use scaremongering tactics.
I've provided information from reputable sources, it is my opinion that neither eating sushi, nor flying pose a huge threat.
Xx

No ham? Nope that's ok on the nhs website too.
Do you think Japanese don't eat sushi when they're pregnant?
How on earth did the human race ever survive with a food don't list longer than the do?
Xx

No ham? Nope that's ok on the nhs website too.
Do you think Japanese don't eat sushi when they're pregnant?
How on earth did the human race ever survive with a food don't list longer than the do?
Xx

It's completely irrelevant who eats it and who doesn't you horribly rude and ignorant woman.

Not everyone who eats it will miscarry it simply increases the risk.

No those restaurants do not keep those meats frozen - they keep them cool so they can't harm you but CAN harm your baby. I am providing contrary information to you also from a reputable source so just listen to the advice and oh ahead and keep putting your baby at risk but do NOT advise other women to do so on the basis that it's totally fine - it's not. Deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back