Please tell me he'll eat more at some point - BLW@11months...

Tulip

Ruby <i>, Dils, Rowan
Reaction score
DS seemed to eat really well this week when I offered him the right food at the right time - he's a bit under the weather and therefore picky but at times I was impressed with his consumption. But he's still not eating what I feel is enough - and he's still waking at least twice a night and downing 7oz each time. He completely refused his dinner last night, even our usual guaranteed nom of yoghurt and fruit.

HVs are offering to coach us through night weaning but he seems genuinely hungry so I'm resistant. And Hubby is dead set against CC (tbh I'm at the point where if it was just down to me I might consider it). But how can I encourage him to eat more during the day? He is teething again and so likely to be unsettled at night (milk is also his comforter, but like I say, he's drinking it all and he's not overweight).

I'm just so frustrated, I can't help but think if he ate more in the day he'd sleep better at night. I hadn't anticipated being in this position ten days before his birthday - there's no way I can switch him to cows milk when he turns one as he's not getting enough nutrition from his food.

Am beginning to regret BLW when I see TW'd eight month olds who were 7 weeks prem STTN regularly, yet D has only done it three times in his life! :nope:

Hey hun, my eldest was BLW and I'm now doing this with my youngest (7 months).

your son will eat more and soon :hugs:

Just to check, are you offering three meals a day (and at this stage he could have morning and afternoon snack offered) and preferably with you eating at same time and same thing. I know you're not meant to encourage them to eat but I did/do gently with mine but for some children this could make them feel pressured and put them off

With regards to STTN I know of TW babies who wake frequently for milk or cuddles at your sons age and older :hugs: its such an individual thing

Yep I feel like I'm offering him food all day! Fruit is always a winner, as is yoghurt or cheese. Then I panic that he's not having enough savoury and will end up like those toddlers on The House Of Tiny Tearaways that will ONLY eat yoghurt and ONLY a particular brand!! Frustrating!

Lol :)
If you haven't done so already, have a look in the thread on ideas for different foods for BLW...its in weaning section and gives lots of ideas

My LO is 11 months and doesn't sttn, tbh there is no point in stressing, they will when they are ready and although I think food is important, my plunket and karatane nurses have both said it's not the only pivotal for sttn
She eats pretty well during the day, but she needs the additional night calories so I keep going.
Also she gets uber fussy when teething and takes a good 2-3 weeks to settle back down

We are TW but with lots of finger foods. I guess its just individual to the baby, some just aren't natural sttn-ers! Mine certainly isn't!

Thanks for the reassurance Farie :hugs:Feels a bit lonely when three month olds around me are all STTN...

I know, pants isnt it! Luckily LO isnt the only one in her group not and although I keep being given 'helpful' suggestions that range from the insane to the ridiculous the other mums keep me sane (almost anyway)
Currently shes snotty too which isnt helping, she was up 3x last night and only drank 3oz.

It will get better tho, at some point either

a) They will STTN
b) They will be old enough for us to leave a midnight snack out which they will eat without waking us!

Good point! Perhaps I should install a toaster at the foot of his cot? :rofl:
I must remember that aside from waking too much and eating too little, he is in fact perfect :cloud9:

Ohh or a pre-loaded toasted sandwich maker ... Just teach them to turn it on and voila, fresh toastie in a few mins, that would keep them satisfied till morning huh?

I really don't think food and STTN go hand in hand. My LO eats like a horse (BLW) and still feeds every couple of hours (BF) and still wakes up most nights a couple of times to eat. He has slept through once, a few days ago, and it was actually on a day when he ate less than normal.

If he's waking up thirsty, no amount of extra food in the day will stop him waking. If he needs a drink at 3am, he needs a drink!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->