PND Support Thread

So, we're 8 weeks in, husband has been working for the last 2 and a bit, and i'm starting to feel like i can't cope... not looking forward to much, struggling to enjoy time with the kiddies - and i have lot of it as DH leaves at 6:30 and gets in at about 6pm. It sucks. HV came to see me the other day and i could tell from her reaction to the change in me over the last week or so that she's concerned. I'm really hoping that this isn't me sinking again. I don't feel as bad as i did last time, but i was really bad when diagnosed 8 months in. Perhaps it's just trying to cope with 2 children and the toddler hitting difficult times. Oh i'm all a muddle.

Is anyone else dreading their husband going back to work?

I am going to miss him being around so much, I have loved our two weeks as a family. My husband either works away or works 6 days a week so we don't get much time together in an average week so these two weeks have just been absolute bliss :(

Dh went back to work six weeks ago. I asked him to do a half day the first day and then arranged to have my mom or his mom over the rest of the week. That helped I think. I really feel a lot better when I have people over. I wish dh was here with me. Think most of my anxiety now is from me facing going back to work. I picture him in daycare looking around and wondering where I am. :cry:

Fides how are you doing with the medicine? It's started to bother my stomach. Making me nauseous. I feel a little weird and flat too. It's been eight days since I started.

jet, the 2 weeks i had with my DH flew by so fast - sorry he's going back.

myturn, when do you have to go back to work? the medicine doesn't bother my stomach, but feeling flat describes it - just kinda mellow most of the time, but is better than busting into tears randomly. sorry it is making you nauseous - that's not a good side effect!

I don't go back until march 1 but have been crying over it since end of December. Feels like the clock is ticking and the days just go by too fast and I don't even know where December and January went. And February is a stupid short month. We talked about me staying home but don't think we can afford it so got depressed about that. And it's starting to feel like walls are closing in because we live in a small condo and baby stuff takes up a lot of room. We both want to get a house but it turns out we owe more on our mortgage than we can sell for. So we're stuck.

As I type this I realize I'm focusing on all the wrong things huh?

Think Zoloft is also making me feel extra tired. Actually seem to be functioning less well since I started between being so tired and nauseous and stomach pain and flat feeling. Definitely no random crying spells though. I wonder if this numb feelin will go soon? I don't know if I should stop the meds or keep trying.

i'm so sorry. :hugs: i would tell the doctor - mine said if the Zoloft had crazy side effects for me, then we could try a different med. i wouldn't stop taking it b/c she told me i would have to be weaned off it - you can't just stop cold turkey w/o having problems, so maybe they can try a different med for you for your PPD.

hugs, hun!! hang in there!

I have been feeling like ivehad PND for ages!!! ive always tryed to be this super mum and do everything and not ask for help from any1 but now 8 months on i finally plucked up the courage to say something to the HV and they are gonna get someone to ring me soon! I am so glad i said something cuz i now feel like a whole weight is lifted and i dont have to deal with it all by myself in my head xx

oh, good! hope you get help soon from them.

myturn, how are you feeling? are you changing meds?

jetset, how are things going - is your DH back to work now?

nimbus, how are you doing?

afm, i'm doing okay. guess that's better than terrible, so i'll take it.

Tried stopping meds which turned out wasn't such a good idea. Instead I'm up to 50 mg. Seems to maybe help. Still a little numb feeling but also have more to worry about now because we found out dh may need heart surgery. So maybe numb is good.

:hugs: so sorry to hear that, but glad the 50mg dose is helping. prayers for your DH.

When do the baby blues end?

I felt miserable through my whole pregnancy and since the birth have had really bad baby blues, I just feel really sad and crying all the time and feel unable to cope, that teamed with the huge disappointment at how the birth went (which still makes me sad and angry) and now giving up on breast-feeding.. well I just feel awful :( It's ruining things between me and OH and I just want to feel human again. I have my 6-week check-up soon and wondering whether there's any point talking to my GP? Or will I just get told to get fresh air. xx

When do the baby blues end?

I felt miserable through my whole pregnancy and since the birth have had really bad baby blues, I just feel really sad and crying all the time and feel unable to cope, that teamed with the huge disappointment at how the birth went (which still makes me sad and angry) and now giving up on breast-feeding.. well I just feel awful :( It's ruining things between me and OH and I just want to feel human again. I have my 6-week check-up soon and wondering whether there's any point talking to my GP? Or will I just get told to get fresh air. xx

Definitely mention it to your GP, and make sure he's aware this has lasted your whole pregnancy too, tell him about the birth - it's a huge contributing factor to PND for a lot of people hun....lots of people take meds or get therapy to help them cope with the aftermath of a pregnancy and birth, it's not a bad thing and nothing to be ashamed of either, if your GP makes you feel silly or tells you to get some fresh air, go see a different GP because he's obviously useless. But you have to be honest with him - im not saying 'exaggerate' exactly, but let him know how youre feeling when you're at your worst. Baby blues (from what ive heard) generally last a week or two at most, you and if you've had undiagnosed prenatal depression then it's likely you have some PND too hun (hugs)

hope it goes ok for you xxx and you WILL feel better again, i promise, it will take time but it DOES get easier.....i know it's hard to see right now and it seems like i talking rubbish but soon you will be able to enjoy your LO and your new family :hugs:

tinker, :hugs: i agree with what booda said. it was at my 6 week appt when i still wasn't feeling better that i was prescribed a medication for the PPD, and it has made such a huge difference. good luck - i hope things get bettre for you soon. :hugs:

I think I've got PND.
I was looking though a Mother & Baby Mag with an article of PND and some of the signs ticked off in my head.
I told my OH via text (didn't have the balls to talk to him) and he said he'd come with me to the docs.
I'm just wondering if any you ladies suffer from it and can give me some advice. PM or reply back on here is fine.

My symptoms are the following:

- crying more and more when Isaac doesn't settle and cries.
- wanting to just leave Isaac to cry when people are around and they can deal with him.
- feeling trapped in the mummy title and I just need me time.
- losing a lot of friends and connections e.g. from working with 24-25 people and 80 children before going on mat leave to now 9-10hours out the day just being me and Isaac and the odd walk into town when I have the money and energy. Has hit me loads.

I didn't do the mood quiz thing due to hating HV and refusing to see her but OH is understanding and listened to me and will come with me to docs when i get the balls to book an appointment

Thanks in advance. x

Im so sorry you're having such a crap time hun :(

I can totally relate to these:
- crying more and more when Isaac doesn't settle and cries.
- wanting to just leave Isaac to cry when people are around and they can deal with him.
- feeling trapped in the mummy title and I just need me time.
- losing a lot of friends and connections

I could have written that a couple of months ago, couldn't deal with my wee ones crying AT all, felt like everyone else could settle him fine so started thinking he just didn't like me, was scared he was going to associate me with "the one who doesnt help him", i'd end up in hysterics along with him, just kept handing over to my OH when he got upset.... and nearly left him at the local hospital, seriously considered phoning social services to tell them to come and take "this baby".......... i was terrified of being left alone with this random screaming baby, had to have someone there ALL the time. My OH had to stop working :S

Eventually I went to the GP after being a stubborn mare and driving my OH round the bend, and i got antidepressants, which started helping in around 10 days for me, some people it takes a little longer. I also got referred to the perinatal mental health team for assessment - and i feel a hell of a lot better now. Im glad i did go to the GP in the end, because i don't think i could have got out of it alone - your GP won't think badly of you at all, you dont need to have anything to do with the HV, mine was useless too - was terrified of any sort of mental health problem.

Things can be better, you can cope better, it wont be instantaneous but you will notice things getting a little easier and yourself feeling a little better each day once you get some form of treatment, whether it be meds, psychological therapy or both.....good luck x

Well I mentioned to the health visitor that I'm feeling down and she was brilliant- rang up the doctors and booked me in an appointment for the next day. I went this morning and the doctor said it's a bit too long to just be the baby blues so I've been prescribed some anti-depressant tablets. I'm hoping that will sort things out, so a bit worried about some of the side effects people talk about. Does anyone have positive experience of these? xx

Well I mentioned to the health visitor that I'm feeling down and she was brilliant- rang up the doctors and booked me in an appointment for the next day. I went this morning and the doctor said it's a bit too long to just be the baby blues so I've been prescribed some anti-depressant tablets. I'm hoping that will sort things out, so a bit worried about some of the side effects people talk about. Does anyone have positive experience of these? xx
I've been on various ones over the last 10 years, and although everyone is different, generally people don't have any problems with the SSRI's (safest, least side effects, newest ones) such as fluoxetine, citalopram, sertraline, escitalopram.....most common side effects reported are nausea in the beginning which goes after a little while, some people have a bit dizziness but usually disappears too.

I take sertraline now as am BFing, have been on fluoxetine in the past (made me a little more hyper than normal but then I do have ADHD so that might have been why),
citalopram - had no side effects, i don't really remember whether it was beneficial as it was so long ago though
sertraline - had no side effects apart from abrupt withdrawal (accidental, im bad at forgetting to take tablets, but 2 days in and i get milk electric shock sensations, goes away again though less than an hour after taking one). Sertraline made a difference to my mood within about 10 days of starting on it. they say 2-3 weeks for the full effect but i definitely noticed i was more capable of doing things, wasn't as paranoid and terrified of death, wasnt thinking about death all day and eventually started to enjoy things again.

Only anti-D i've ever had side effects form was Venlafaxine, but that's not prescribed as much now because of side effects and withdrawal syndrome.

Remember - the thng about side effects, out of a thousand people who take the drugs with no ill effects, usually only the ones who HAVE had side effects will actually talk about this - so it looks like there is a migh higher percentage of people who get awful side effects....does that make sense? sorry if it doesnt im not always good at articulating what i mean lol.

Well done for mentioning to health visitor, it's not always easy, and i hope things start to get better for you xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->