PND Support Thread

:hugs: you can do it, just think how much better you'll feel for talking about it and getting help :)

:hello: I have pnd and am in the process of seeking help. I am starting cbt this week and will also receive one other treatment to be decided (either muscle relexation techniques or this technique where they film your baby and show you the footage to get you to get closer to them and understand them more).

Things that bother me in generak everyday life include my friends talking about their babies and how 'great' they are including milestones reached. Also, when I try and say something about my baby I am usually met with 'yeah thats great isnt it' (ie, our baby did that ages ago).

Does this resonate with anyone? How do you deal with this?

hugs x

:hello: I have pnd and am in the process of seeking help. I am starting cbt this week and will also receive one other treatment to be decided (either muscle relexation techniques or this technique where they film your baby and show you the footage to get you to get closer to them and understand them more).

Things that bother me in generak everyday life include my friends talking about their babies and how 'great' they are including milestones reached. Also, when I try and say something about my baby I am usually met with 'yeah thats great isnt it' (ie, our baby did that ages ago).

Does this resonate with anyone? How do you deal with this?

hugs x
First of all well done for seeking help, its not easy to do :) that filming thing sounds very interesting, what did they call that type of therapy!? Sorry if i sound nosey it just sounds really interesting!

About the friends......to me, it sounds like they are a bit up themselves to be honest, and probably are ignorant enough to not even realise how they are sounding.....Im wondering if maybe they feel inadequate in some way, so feel the need to subconsciously put you down in order to make themselves feel like "better" parents? Of course people who do act in this way usually come across as extremely confident and "know it all" so it makes it difficult to notice...

I know it's easier said than done, but the best thing to do is to try not it let it get to you, just recognise that it's probably their insecurities showing - your baby is perfect just the way they are and will meet their milestones whenever they are ready, if your friends cant even act like they're happy that you are proud of something about your baby, then they're pretty sad beings!

Thanks booda, I feel a lot better reading your post.

I'n a participant in a university research project, researching into the bext way to deal with/treat pnd. THey already now that cbt works wonders, but the study is trying to work out which additional complementary therapy has the best effect on pnd mothers.

tbh, I'm hoping for the muscle relaxation therapy which I assume involves getting a massage! If its the filming one, then the idea is that they film lo when I am in the room either interacting with him or not, and them I watch it back and see how he plays and how he looks for me etc etc. I think the idea is that by talking about the video I will inderstand lo more and connect with him more. I should find out which group I'm in later this week. fx'd for the massage! xx

OH wants me to go and talk to someone. I'm so scared and I really don't want to go by myself but he works so can't come with me.
I don't even know what to do anymore

I'm sorry your hubby can't go with you hun, that's really tough. Can he try and get a few hours off and say its for the dentist? Unfortunately the only person who can make you go to the doctors is you. Hubby or no hubby. You just need to do it. If I could do it for you I would!

Snowfia what about your mum or a friend? Or your health visitor? You'll feel better once you get the ball rolling.......even if you cant say it to your doc, try writing it on a piece of paper, just something like "i think i have pnd" and give it to him x

I went to the baby clinic yesterday and I just burst into tears so I spoke to the HV there and she came to the doctors with me..
I was prescribed 50mg sertraline.
Has anyone had any experience with it? So scared to take it =/

I went to the baby clinic yesterday and I just burst into tears so I spoke to the HV there and she came to the doctors with me..
I was prescribed 50mg sertraline.
Has anyone had any experience with it? So scared to take it =/

I'm on 100mg and have been for quite a few months now, was also on it during my pregnancy, im also BFing and LO is absolutely fine, no effects at all that i've noticed :)
It's really the safest anti-d to prescribe to pregnant and BFing mums,

uh oh LO having meltdown be back soon to finish this post

ETA: back now, sorry bout that, was saying...Im on sertraline/zoloft and BFing, taking 100mg now, i done quite a lot of research before starting it though and put my mind at rest - i think the effects o f having an unhappy mommy are worse than baby getting a tiny tiny dose of zoloft hunny (hugs) so try not to worry, if it helps you, then it will benefit your wee one. My previous psychiatrist said that sertraline is the drug he would START people on if they had prenatal or postnatal depression, as its the least able to pass into breastmilk, also it has very few side effects - although if i forget it for 2-3 days then i get a bit of a fuzzy head but it disappears again within an hour of taking the tablet :)

Thank you booda.
I spend ages last night researching it and I do feel a bit better about taking it now and I just took my first one so hopefully it'll help.
How long did it take to start working for you?

Thank you booda.
I spend ages last night researching it and I do feel a bit better about taking it now and I just took my first one so hopefully it'll help.

It can take 4-6 weeks for you to get the full effect of an antidepressant, but personally i started feeling a little better after about 1 week to 10 days. Whether that was placebo effect I don't know, I don't care though because I felt better so whatever effect it was it still helped :)

Hang in there, things WILL get easier, there is so much change having a baby that we're never really prepared for - we see images of women walking about smiling all done up with their happy sleeping babies and thats what we end up feeling we "should" be like too. The reality....people get frustrated, upset, angry even, babies aren't easy, we don't know whats wrong with them half the time, we're upset when we "should" be happy, theres guilt, there's grief for your old life.....no matter how much your LO was wanted, we all still have little, or big, periods of grieving for our previous lives. Everything is changed when you have a baby. Your local shops are now obstacle courses. noisy neighbours you wouldnt have noticed before are now waking your baby, or making you worried about waking baby, stairs are a nightmare, trying to find a lift is a pain in the arse, shopping is difficult.......just EVERYTHING is changed and alien for a while. No wonder so many of us end up depressed!

Keep around here, even if you just post a sentence when you're feeling awful, just to know there are people who understand and are at various stages of dealing with their depression can help - can give you hope that this awful period WILL end, gradually, it might take time, but it does get better :hugs:

Thank you so much.
All that is so true. It's nice to hear from people who have been through it or who are going through it say that it does get better, so thank you again.

Hi - Just like some advice please.
My little girl is three months. Lately I've been feeling very tearful, lack of energy, not interested in food & I've been feeling nauseas too. My lo had not put much weight on a few weeks ago and I was worried constantly about it having horrible dreams.
I feel like I'm just being silly.. But I'm worried could there be more to it.
Can anyone help or recommend if I should see my GP?

Thank you x

Hi - Just like some advice please.
My little girl is three months. Lately I've been feeling very tearful, lack of energy, not interested in food & I've been feeling nauseas too. My lo had not put much weight on a few weeks ago and I was worried constantly about it having horrible dreams.
I feel like I'm just being silly.. But I'm worried could there be more to it.
Can anyone help or recommend if I should see my GP?

Thank you x

Aww hun, excessive worrying, lack of energy, tearfulness, lack of appetite.....can all be symptoms of depression, depending on their intensity - but whatever you are feeling, NONE of it is silly - the quicker things like PND can be diagnosed and treated, the quicker you can kick it's butt :) I highly recommend you go see your GP or speak to your health visitor, they will talk to you and take everything into consideration before making a daignosis, and should be able to offer support and treatment - either medication (don't be scared of it, it's not as bad as it sounds!) or some form of talking therapy. they won't think you're silly at all, having a baby is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge step, although we are great at acting like its soooo easy to the outside world, everyone expects it to be that easy, in reality it's not! Especially with hormone changes and brain chemicals going haywire.

Phone along now and make an appointment - honestly, once you get the ball rolling and feel like you're "doing something" about the bad feelings, you will hopefully start to see a little light. Feel free to keep popping in here too, the ladies on this thread are all in various stages of PND, from very mild to very severe, and all have some great advice and experience. (hugs)

I am a regular poster in the baby club under a different name. I know you're not supposed have multiple accounts but I can't post this under my proper username and I need to get it out. I like these boards so here seems as good a place as any.

I don't know if I've got PBS or not but there is something wrong with me.

My lo is 6 months old. In his first few months we had lots of issues with colic and reflux etc and he would never sleep and just cried all day and night. Now during the day he is a perfect baby and I feel like I can cope relatively well. But he is still waking half hourly all night and I just can't cope with it.

I spend most of every night rocking my lo on the end of my bed, crying and crying.

I feel like I want to kill myself and at night it's all I think about. Even once I have got my lo to sleep, I lie awake thinking about how to do it so that my DH wouldn't have to find me himself. Then I get upset because I think what an awful mum I am to be able to think about doing that to my lo - him knowing that I killed myself and growing up with no mum. So then I sit any pray to god that I can be hit by a bus or have a brain haemorrhage or just die in my sleep so that the decision is out of my hands.

There is so much more I could say but I'm just going to post this now before I chicken out and delete it.

Mickey I just read your post and I'm worried about you. It definitely sounds like ppd and I'm sure lack of sleep is making it worse. Can you call your dr? I called my ob and got on meds and went to therapy and it's helped tremendously. I want to help you and know you're ok. Please call today and also feel free to pm me.

Thank you booda.

I'm on 50 mg Zoloft now and nursing as well. It's helped me a lot. Felt better for a little bit immediately which may have been placebo. I don't know. Then after a few weeks started to feel normal and brighter. I was nauseous at first but that got better. I was really nervous about bf but my ob and the pediatrician both urged that it's safe and to continue to take it. Just thought I'd share another experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->