Poor sister in law ... Obstetric cholestasis

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
My sister in law has had a smooth pregnancy (33 weeks) but had blood yesterday and was sent in where after 10 hours of waiting she saw a doctor who said she had obstetric cholestasis. She is waiting for more blood results but likely to be induced at 37 weeks, if not before.

Anyone have experience?

Yep! I had cholestasis with my son. He's nine years old now. I took four big pills every day, had appointments every month from 26 weeks on, and every week from 32 weeks on, had steroid shots a week before induction, was induced four weeks early, and he was born healthy! Took him home two days later. Let her know all should be well! The biggest risk is after 37 weeks. :flower:

Hi,

There is a sticky thread on this forum for this subject.

I had it on my first pregnancy, had bloods taken every 2/3 days, luckily mine was not very server, i got mine at 32/33 weeks.

As my levels were not to high I delivered my baby at 38 weeks after a sweep as my body was already preparing for labour.

I was told by my OB they only deliver at 37 weeks if your levels at a certain rate otherwise keep a close eye on you, monitor baby, bloods etc.

As long as you have a good OB or midwife looking after you (your sis inlaw) shouldn't worry to much.

Yes I had it from 19 weeks on with my 1st baby. My son is now 4. I had to have blood taken every week (elevated liver enzymes)...and NST's twice a week (where they monitor fetal movement on a machine at the hospital)...you CAN get cream to help with the itching etc. which is a medicated cream. I was induced at 37 weeks, most OB/GYN's don't allow mom's to go past this, because it puts baby at risk of stillbirth. That being said...as long as your SIL is monitored closely(which they will) than her and baby will be fine. Tell her to hang in there...it can be scary the unknown but most cases under the close care of a doctor turn out great. Healthy baby and healthy mom. And please tell her that just because she has it this pregnancy doesn't mean she will have it for other pregnancies. With my 2nd baby (my daughter) I didn't have ANY issues at all.

Thanks everyone, she has been told they will induce her at 37 weeks or before, so guessing it's fairly bad, she has a liver scan today and baby scan so we will know more then. I read the sticky, but it didn't seem that serious, which seemed to contrast the way she had been treated, they seem to be taking it very seriously. Which is good, glad she is being looked after.

Thanks for all the information and experiences, it helps to be able to share others experiences with her, and MIL who is in a panic and state over it.

She is being induced tomorrow, she will be 34 weeks, I hate the fact we are so far from her (550 miles away). She feels fine, baby seems fine but bloods are much worse. I hope all will be ok, her sister also had premises but naturally went into labour but her smallest was 35 weeks, this is a whole week smaller. Argh.

Hello didnt want to read and run. I had OC with my second pregnancy and was induced at 37 weeks had a healthy baby girl who weighed 8lb haha how ever much would she of weighed if I had gone full term! Its generally nothing to be scared of and is mostly gestational it disappears soon after the birth they do a follow up blood test to make sure everything is back to normal . Now got to wait and see if I get it again with this pregnancy because it can be a reoccurring thing even tho I didn't have it with my first pregnancy! Weird

Fingers crossed all will be well with you this time around.

It seems crazy they are inducing her so early, she will only be 34 weeks. My MIL is in a state over it. Lol. Hopefully all will go well and she will have a beautiful but small baby tomorrow.

Fingers crossed all will be ok! Praying she has a quick delivery and baby is well x

Fingers crossed all will be ok! Praying she has a quick delivery and baby is well x

Thank you, I think the family are more worried than what they are, lol. She is the baby of the family.

Sending lots of positive thoughts!

34 weeks is really early yeah. They sent me home for 6 hours becalmed I wasn't 37 weeks until the midnight they told me they couldn't start induction until I was exactly 37by law. So I am assuming she has it quite bad and they want baby out so her body can return to normal asap?

34 weeks is really early yeah. They sent me home for 6 hours becalmed I wasn't 37 weeks until the midnight they told me they couldn't start induction until I was exactly 37by law. So I am assuming she has it quite bad and they want baby out so her body can return to normal asap?

Yeah I assume so, she say she feel fine and the baby is fine, but it's just going by her blood work. MIL says SIL is exhausted, to be fair SIL is someone who rarely complains and just gets on with everything, so I imagine she feels worse than she is admitting. So worried for her and baby. Do inductions even work with babies that early? Can her body be ready?

Yes all inductions work at 34 wks. I was induced at 35+1, baby was born at 6 pounds, took about 10 hours, latched on right away, 9/10 apgar score. We spent six days in NICU with jaundice.

It depends. I was induced at 33+5 for preeclampsia, and it didn't work. They give you medicine to prevent seizures with preeclampsia though that slow labor. I failed to progress past 5cm and ended up with an EMCS.

Anyway, 34 weeks is early but not terrible. My son was born at 33+5 and he was small and had to stay in the NICU for 18 days, but really had no other problems than he was small.

Thanks guys,she waited all day for a labour ward bed, MIL said they were about to start about 6pm so no news for awhile I guess. I'll update when I know. Thanks for your support, think we are more stressed than her lol.

For the ladies following: she had her baby at 5am this morning via emergency c section, both doing well, baby is 5lbs 2, and doing well, they said he should be moved to a cot later today, breathing on his own and last I heard regulating his temperature.

Congratulations! I am so glad to hear that he is breathing on his own and being over 5lbs I am glad he is able to regulate his temperature. It sounds like he is a healthy petite little baby! I hope that they are both well and able to go home soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->