Positive stories w/ no heartbeat at 6w

ourmiracle17

Reaction score
I was either 6w1d by last period or 5w5d by ovulation tests. I would have been perfectly ok as I knew I was on the line for a heartbeat, but my doctor seems sure this is ANOTHER miscarriage. I could use some stories of hope.

I don't have a story of my own for this particular issue. I'm sorry. However, I must say that my doctor warns me each time I have an early ultrasound that some babies' hearts don't start beating until 7 weeks along. They don't worry at all unless you're 7 weeks along with no heartbeat. I know you must be scared, but give it some time.

I've also seen several success stories on this board over the years regarding early ultrasounds whose embryos' hearts haven't started beating yet but went on to have perfect pregnancies.

Thank you for the reply. I had a miscarriage in September. In hat pregnancy at 7 weeks there was only a sac. This time there was a sac, yolk sac, and not positive but my husband thinks he saw the fetal pole (I showed him lots of ultrasounds!) This is a diagnostic center so they did not tell me anything. In fact all they told my doctor was no heartbeat! She doesn't even know if there was a fetal pole. This place is a nightmare!!!!!!! I am definitely planning to switch to an OB clinic. (My doctor is family practice so they don't have ultrasound machines)

Oh, my goodness. You definitely need a new doctor. I'm so glad you're switching to a place that knows their stuff! My earliest ultrasound was at 5w6d with my fourth-born, and I was lucky to see a beating heart, but even with it, the little teeny tiny embryo was soooooooo small. It was very easy to miss. I wouldn't even have seen the beating heart if my doctor's ultrasound machine wasn't so good and zoomed in sooooo far. It just looked like a shadow when it wasn't zoomed in all the way.

That was another weird thing. My husband said she NEVER zoomed in. He said it was like she was looking at everything from a great distance. I am going to try to stop by after work and see if I can get a copy of the report. I have no idea why they only sent so little info to my doctor. It would tell me a lot more if I knew how far I was measuring, what they saw, etc....

If the fetal pole isn't big enough or if it's hiding, you're not going to see the heartbeat. Under 6 weeks it's quite common to not even see a fetal pole. I think it's entirely premature and wrong of your doc to call miscarriage at this stage. There's every chance everything will be fine when you go back for your next scan. I saw the gestational sac and yolk sac but no fetal pole at 5w4d. Everything was fine (and I was put back a couple of days) at 7w1d. If I'd have gone in a few days later for my first scan, they probably wouldn't have seen much more. Definitely get a new doc. I honestly would ignore this scan completely and wait for your next one. :hugs:

Sounds about right if you are 5w!!! I wouldn't go too much on lmp, it's only to estimate things. How many ladies actually ovulate on day 14 lol x

Ps. The fetal pole on my successful pregnancies was 4,3 and 2mm at 6w1d. Imagine a few day less, they would have been undetectable!

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. I will be sure to update you when I get more definitive info. I feel like this whole pregnancy the doctors offices have really messed me up. A nurse giving incorrect info, not getting results in a timely manner, told my pregnancy test was too faint when it was obviously positive at 13 DPO. I hope this another of the screw ups and not something wrong with the baby!

Gosh, way too early to rule out a successful pregnancy! My middle child, I was 7+0 when I had a dating scan and all there was is a sac. The fetal pole and heartbeat was there 6 days later. :)

Goodness. I went in for an early scan at 6+1 this time because I was having spotting and I wanted to rule out an ectopic or a blighted ovum. We saw a gestational sac and a yolk sac measuring 5+4/5. The tech said she saw a slight bump that could have been the fetal pole and *maybe* a little flicker of a hb starting but it was so small, she couldn't measure it at all. The radiologist's report said there was no fetal pole visible at all but when I went back at 7+1, there was baby with a lovely little flicker. You def are not out of this yet.

Definitely not over yet. Baby is so tiny at this stage I wouldn't worry. Definitely get report and see what you were measuring x

I had no heartbeat at 5+5 this time and I am 30 weeks tomorrow. Why was the Dr so sure? Was the sac irregular or something. No heartbeat around the early 6 week mark means very little. Especially when there was a yolk.

I had a scan with my son at 6 weeks and there was no heartbeat. One doctor said she didn't think the pregnancy was viable, and my dr said not to worry about booked another ultrasound for 9 weeks and everything was fine <3

With my first at 5w6d I went to the doctors because I was bleeding the night before. I went in and got a scan the same day and there was just an IRREGULAR shaped sac. At 7 weeks I went for another scan there was a yolk and I think a fetal pole but no heartbeat. At 7w6d I went for another scan and there was a heartbeat at 155. My son is now 4.
At no point did my doctor say it was doomed. She did warn me that miscarriages were normal for first trimester but said since it was early thats probably why they hadn't seen anything yet. My measurements were accurate for each scan just no heartbeat until basically 8 weeks. She just booked each ultrasound a week apart. Also my irregular sac became normal after the first scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->