Prams

Not me, I'm just gonna buy a cheap one that does the job as I'll be babywearing a lot (hopefully). However, I've decided all the baby carriers I want. :haha:

I don't know much about baby carriers, fill me in!! My Mum was talking about the baby slings and how that might not be good for babies posture. I like the carriers that you can turn around so baby face either way....or do they all do that?

Babywearing is great! I haven't really used the pram I bought at all as I pretty much exclusively babywear.

You mum is right though about some carriers not being great for baby's spine or hips though. Narrow seated carriers such as the Baby Bjorn or those you find in high street stores do not provide optimal positioning as baby should be supported from knee to knee to give them a 'seat' rather than dangling them by their bits. Plus they are very uncomfortable for mum (I speak from experience as I was given a Mothercare carrier when Daniel was tiny!). It is not great for babies hips and spine to be forward facing either as it puts too much pressure on them, its much better for baby to be facing mum as it allows for the natural curvature of the spine, and they can snuggle in for cuddles!

That being said there are loads of great slings and wraps that you can get which are all ergonomic and comfortable - such as stretchy and woven wraps, Mei Tai's, Soft Structured Carriers (such as Ergo, Connecta, Tula etc) and Ring Slings. I started with a stretchy wrap as they are brilliant for newborns - you can pre-tie them and then just pop baby in and out as needed. Then I moved on to woven wraps once Daniel got too heavy for a stretchy. If you don't fancy wrapping (it looks harder than it is I can assure you!) then an SSC with buckles or a Mei Tai are great too. If you are interested take a look in the Natural Parenting section of BnB or google to see if there is a Sling Library near you that you could go and have a look and try some on to see if you like the look and feel of any.

Actually, the baby facing out is not so good for them. They should pretty much always face in (facing the parent) and in a back carry they look over the shoulder. The less ideal carriers like the Bjorn have a narrow base and can face out- these do not have good support and are also not as comfortable for the wearer. Wide based carriers (eg Ergo, mei tais etc) offer good support. As long as the baby is positioned correctly (knees higher than bum in a sitting position) it doesn't cause problems. It's also great for their development. My personal opinion is that woven wraps are the best and most supportive, but not all people like wrapping.

There are lots of types of carriers- ring slings, soft structured carriers (like the ergo), stretchy wraps, woven wraps, mei tais, hybrids and many more. If you're interested in finding out more, head over to the natural parenting section. They have lots of info and a thread for pictures of BWing. :)

Omg purplespecs we posted basically the same thing at the exact same time! Lol!

If you youtube babywearing your will find loads of helpful videos :)

I love the idea of baby wearing, I hope it's comfortable enough to do lots once I'm a mom! I've been working to get DH oh board too so we can get him a more masculine looking carrier that he will actually use. I always point out baby wearing men to him when I see them!

Get a good sling/wrap and it's really comfortable. I'm currently typing this with my 23lb son napping in his woven wrap. I love wovens and can wear him for a long time without it being at all uncomfortable. Everyone always asks if it hurts my back but nope! So comfy :D My DH didn't want to wear Daniel to begin with as he thought it was 'girly' but after seeing how content and happy Daniel is in his wrap, and how quickly we can get him to nap, that he changed his mind and we got DH a connecta. He wanted something simple and manly and the buckles appealed to him. Now Daniel is growing out of the baby size connecta DH is doing his own research into what toddler buckles he would like :)

I love the idea of baby wearing, I hope it's comfortable enough to do lots once I'm a mom! I've been working to get DH oh board too so we can get him a more masculine looking carrier that he will actually use. I always point out baby wearing men to him when I see them!

Me and OH used to squabble over who got to wear the baby.

Well I'm probably not going to be able to babywear :cry: I have a back condition which means I have severe constant chronic pain. I cant really tolerate anything so will be limited in all sorts not just this. I'll managed and adapt though kinda why the pram is important to me so I can make the most with aht i've got!!! :thumbup:

Thanks for the info, purplespecs! That's exactly how he is, he thinks it's too girly - but there are lots I've seen that have the look of a hiking backpack, and I think something like that will appeal to him. I've seen the Infantino ergonomic, and that looks like something he could wear with confidence around his ball-busting friends :haha:

I hope DH and I get there some day!

Thanks for the info, purplespecs! That's exactly how he is, he thinks it's too girly - but there are lots I've seen that have the look of a hiking backpack, and I think something like that will appeal to him. I've seen the Infantino ergonomic, and that looks like something he could wear with confidence around his ball-busting friends :haha:

I hope DH and I get there some day!

My DH went from -

"I'm not wearing him, it's too girly",

to "OK I'll wear him in the house to get him to nap, but I'm not going out like this!"

to "OK I'll take him for a walk with the dog, I'll wear him - it's easier than manoeuvring the buggy round the park"

to finally letting me post this pic on Facebook of him wearing Daniel in Hungary. He was being daft with his friend whilst sheltering from some rain. He wasn't bothered at all what any of his friends might say :)

https://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p753/Nikki_Giffard/P1000705_zps4880bcc6.jpg

Oh, that's wonderful! Is that the carrier you mentioned? It looks nice, not floral and girly or anything, and very practical!

Yeah, that's a Solarweave Connecta :) DH loves it, you can get connectas in far more manly colours than purple though!!

Ahh great photo. I hope my OH won't have a problem with it. He gave me a funny look when I talked about the idea of the skin to skin contact straight after birth for him and the baby. :(

Just asked him....he would be fine with it, but mentioned the skin to skin contact idea again he said 'it seems a bit unnecessary'....please give me some ammo to convince him otherwise?!

https://www.skintoskincontact.com/ssc-fathers.aspx

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17542814

Hope those help!

If you look at mei tais they tend to have a pattern on one side and plain on the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->