Prawn cocktail at Christmas

Here's an NHS press document that may help:

https://www.mcht.nhs.uk/documents/leaflets/10/MCH_PregnantInfection09_v4.pdf

When I was pregnant with Poppy I asked the doctor about prawns and she said to avoid them. Saying that, everything I have read since (pretty much) says they are ok, provided they are cooked ie are in a hot meal. So I just avoided prawns full stop during pregnancy.

This time round I think I will be slightly less cautious TBH. Seems like the majority of you girls on here have been eating cold (cooked) prawns with no problems so M&S Prawn butty here I come ;)

Mmmm I love prawn cocktail! I'll certainly be enjoying one Xmas day!!! Can't get rid of every pleasure! I'll steer clear of pate and Brie I promise! Xx

so have we made a final decision.

Normally the prawns would go straight from freezer to fridge and served straight from the fridge

Hi, this is just my opinion of the facts given to me, so please feel free to ignore -In my preg care book given to me by midwife it states - prawns ARE fine if cooked AND served in a hot dish only. I love prawn cocktail but will be refraining on Christmas day.

xx

so have we made a final decision.

Normally the prawns would go straight from freezer to fridge and served straight from the fridge

You really need to speak to your MW who will confirm either way!

Well I would suggest speaking to your doctor/NHS24 advice line, Prawns are as bad as pate and some cheeses and to be honest is it worth the risk?

Ok - let's wrap this up for pluto. The point is hun, they shouldn't be "sitting out" for any length of time. If they have gone from freezer to fridge, then to plate and to your mouth then imho you would be AOK.:thumbup:
Obviously a m/w or doc is going to suggest cooking them (or re-heating) cos that is a sure safe bet and they won't be with you to see how they are prepared on chrissy day.
Basically this listeria business is problematic cos the bacteria loves room temperature (actually any temp above fridge) and hence the problems arising with salad and sandwich bars and deli meats in general. Hope I have helped and not added confusion....:wacko:
Have a great christmas whatever you eat!:flower:

Just an extra thing I have heard... even meat/seafood that has been sitting in the fridge for more than a day should be avoided (unless re-heated)... I guess the bacteria still develops at fridge temp but just at a slower rate....:shrug:

I ate everyone's prawn cocktail at OH's christmas party :blush: It depends on where you are from - some countries say yes, some say no. Use your own judgement. I have never been sick from food bacteria and even drank tap water in Cairo for a month. I'm not too worried, but it is your baby and your body, so do what is right for you.

As long as kept in the fridge (which I would always do with fish and shellfish pregnant or not) when defrosted - when they have been cooked AND frozen (as in you buy them frozen and pink) they are actually safer than just cooked. The heat of cooking plus the freezing will ensure no bugs survive. xxxxxxx

They don't tend to use green uncooked prawns in a prawn cocktail, they use the REDish pre cooked ones.

My nurse told me it was FINE to eat them as long as they aren't bought already prepeeled and as long as they come fresh from the fridge and aren't left out.
Ya know on Christmas day how sometimes you have a large bowl of prawns on the table that everyone eats from, well thats a no no, yours has to come fresh from the fridge and eaten straight away.

Enjoy, I love prawns and we will be buying some for Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->