Pregnancy after our preemies support thread!

Sandi and anyone else.....You were taking P17 right? What made you decide to do it? I just turned down being a part of the study here.

Hi JJ Buck...I see you in here lots, you should introduce yourself...we don't bite I promise! :rofl:

Sandi and anyone else.....You were taking P17 right? What made you decide to do it? I just turned down being a part of the study here.

P17 as in progesterone?

I know where you are it's done in the form of shot jags is that right? I'm using pesseries, I know they can be used erm, back or front ykwim? ;)

The study here is to investigate whether the use of progesterone helps reduce the risk of a preterm baby. It's said that it can help strengthen the cervix. The study here has been around for a few years(the posters in my hospital have been up even when Alex was born) and they use the FFN tests too. I think also part of the study is to work out if the FFN tests are worth it, they are expensive and aren't widely used here.

So are the pessaries every week as well? I imagined them to be really gross and leaking all the time like a really bad canestan pessery:blush: :rofl:

Over here its the shot once a week, its not a trial so you defo get the progesterone. Up until recently you had to pay to get them from a compounding pharmacy after being prescribed them but I believe that will change now they are aproved by the FDA. They are meant to help certain types of premarturity like preterm labour and weak cervix but I believe they are not helpful for pprom. Also its routine at my OB office to do the ffn every 2 weeks in high risk cases:thumbup:

Nic, sorry about your cold, Anja my youngest has been puking most of the day so there's illness here too:hugs: Can't wait to here how you get on at your anomaly scan, not long now, I vote team pink!

Sandi, I've put on well over 20lb and my bump is none existant, maybe we are doing it backwards:haha:

Here its for the jabs yes. This study is super new. And when they sent the consent document via email, there was 16 pages! Buuuut they had edited it down to 6 and I guess they didn't know that with some versions of MS Word you could read what they edited out....

My husband flat out refused. I won't get into why, but the risks they edited out did not out weigh the "maybe" benefits. I know the preemie parents in the US who get the jabs (I think the ones you are using are very different than the jabs) say they don't stop PTL or PPROM and if you don't have a weak cervix, they won't do much.

I thought for sure I would take them, but I thought the chances were too great for us.

OH I forgot to say...our pedi was actually the follow up doctor for the baby after the baby was born. But he backed out, on the edited document it said "TB" beside his name. I called him to ask why he backed out and he said his ethical beliefs didn't match the other doctors in the study. Whatever the f that means?!

nkbapbt, thank you for that, it is really helpful and I will be getting some, I am so paranoid. I hope you feel better soon :hugs: I have no bump either.

Sandi, I thought it might be about money but surely they cant reuse in case you have tampered with them? Not sure really just thinking as I write. No, I am not part of the trial, my professor just recommended them for me because of the miscarriages, my waters breaking at 28 weeks led him to think it could be cervix related, so thought it was a good idea for me to be on them, and that is why I have the scans on my cervix too. I have mine from BFP until 32/34 weeks.

You do have a neat bump, you look amazing.

I dont know if mine are P17, the brand name are cyclogest 400mg, so might be different, looking at the leaflet and cant see a mention of P17.

Sorry P17 is the same as progesterone!

Tasha - I forgot to say welcome. And congrats! :hugs: You have had such a hard road, I truly hope this path ends up in a happy place for you. :thumbup:

Lottie - I see you are here, how is Finlay feeling?

2 a day?? :shock:

Nic, I had pprom with #2 and don't have a weak cervix. So starting to think I'm taking them for no reason. At my appointment today Eilidh is already engaged same as Anja was at this stage so thinking I'm programmed. So much conflicting info, my OB's advice was that as I had so many things happen over my 3 pregnancies it may help make a difference. Do you know the risks? I was never given any info sheets or anything:wacko:

So are the pessaries every week as well? I imagined them to be really gross and leaking all the time like a really bad canestan pessery:blush: :rofl:

Nope they are every night :rofl: I wouldn't say they as as bad as a canestan pessary but a wee liner wouldn't go a miss.... :haha:

I will PM you hon, I don't want to freak anyone out (as the jabs are different from the suppositories) . I can email you the massive consent form too if you want. It has a lot of information on it, but I think you need the newest version of MS Word to see the edits. I couldn't on my laptop's Word, but my hubby could on his and his the newest version.

Give me a bit, as it will take me a few to pull together all the links! :thumbup:

I went to a medium today for the first time. I asked her about Alexs health, she says it will improve by age, she is always bouncing off the walls and on the go :rofl: she visualised a breathing tube type thing at birth....:shock:
I didn't tell her my worries about this baby, and she told me to stop worrying as this was going to be an easy birth and everything was going to be fine. Alexis going to be really off to start with, apparently but she'll be fine.

Mad....

Sorry P17 is the same as progesterone!

Tasha - I forgot to say welcome. And congrats! :hugs: You have had such a hard road, I truly hope this path ends up in a happy place for you. :thumbup:

Aaah okay, I chose to take them because I was desperate by that stage really, and no one has ever told me there are any risks, should of researched really but was miscarrying again when they recommended them, so didnt.

Thank you for your welcome, I dont even belong here though as my baby's were 35/36, 37, 36 and 37. I just came for the advice knowing that you girls wouldnt judge my anxieties, and would more than likely know.

Yep mummy3, two a day, it varies though some people will have one a day, some people two, some will have 200mg, some 400mg in each pessary.

Any way, thank you all for answering my questions and making me feel both welcome and normal. I will leave your thread in peace now :haha:

I really hope you all get full term babies, and that your journeys are uneventful ones. :kiss::kiss:

Evening ladies!

My bump doesn't seem to have got any bigger in the past week or so, glad to hear it's happening to other people too as I was beginning to get a bit paranoid. Still not felt even the slightest flutter yet though :(

Nic: Findlay is absolutely exhausted from the amount of effort it takes him to breathe as he's still got big chest retractions going on every time he takes a breath bless him. He gets about 10 mins of energy then has to just lie there for several hours before he has got any energy again. We've been told it could be up to a month before he's back to normal in terms of the nasty cough going and his breathing being more normal etc and it could be over 4 months before his lungs are back to their normal state due to the damage that gets done to them by the virus :( So I'll have to be even more careful than usual about bugs as anything he picks up goes straight for his lungs at the best of times. Luckily when he goes back into hospital next month they have said they will try and get him a single room (provided one is free) rather than put him on the ward after what happened the other week when they put him on a ward.

Tasha please stay! You defo have a lot to add here and the pet shop, :rofl:

Nic, thankyou so much:hugs: I just blindly went with the OB, naive I guess.

Sandi, a medium?! Do you think she's right? I've always been a bit scared of these things. I'm sure Alex will be fine, I had a similar gap last time as well and the 2 of them get on great in between fighting and being jealous:haha:

Tasha i agree you have a lot to share hun xxxx

Thank you girls. It is kind of you. I am going to say it at the pet shop tomorrow. :haha:

Sandi, that is pretty amazing. Did it help in any way? I always wanted to see a medium, well since Honey was born, but I am too scared.

Lottie and Findlay :hugs::hugs:

My bump is non existent too, I hope you get a bump and some flutters soon :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->