Pregnancy & Cats!!!!! Help, Scared!

this is going to make me incredibly unpopular but i dont like cats around babies.

I had cats before and always ended up re homeing them when prengant, my friend has my cat now so i still get to see him.

I found the cat hair horrible, it got on to all the baby stuff, in teh cot, mosses basket, i couldnt watch my cat 24 hours a day and every now and again i found them in the cot asleep (not with the baby in it tho)

Also the fleas, i always took mine to the vets every 3 months to get frontlined but it never got rid of them totaly and i didnt like the idea of having that around my newborn.

I always think, you can avoid teh litter box, but you cant avoid it if its under there claws and they climb on you for a cuddle... they are clean animals but i still wouldnt chance it.

my cats used to mark there terrotiy too, the smell was terrbile, i didnt want that around my baby either.

Sorry to put a negitive spin on it, just my personal opinion thats all.

x

Everyone is entitled to their opinion Layla and I can see where you wouldn't want the fleas or the constant cat hair around your baby!! And I can't imagine if either of my cats marked their territory, that would be horrible!!

On the scratching I'd have to disagree though, we keep both of our cats claws clipped, and they have been trained not to scratch us, even when climbing up for a pet. The only time I have ever been scratched by either of my cats is when I scared them, and I considered it my fault because I'm the one who startled them.

From everything I've read and talked to my vet about the chances of you contracting this from your cats is much less than raw meat or even gardening without gloves on. For me, personally, it's not worth giving my cats up for when there are ways to safeguard against it.

I've actually heard that if you've lived with cats for a long time then odds are you've already had toxoplasmosis and are therefore immune.

I currently have sixcats and I just think its a case of common sense and basic hygeine. I do clean out the litter tray but wash my hands after thoroughly. Its not difficult, and if you are especially concerned wear rubber gloves. I do think this wholetoxoplasmosis thing is a bit over the top in terms of cats, any responsible cat owner has their cats wormed and knows how to wash their hands. Like Vicki says you are more likely to get it from undercookedmeat or even from unwashed veg.

My cats aren't allowed upstairs, we have a fab hoover that gets rid of any pet fur, and my cats have been great with Seren and tend to move away as opposed to scratch. They have been done so no marking of territory. I have just respected them and made sure they are still involved in the family, but still have their own place to go to if they want and I have never had ay trouble. Seren loves the cats, and I think it has done her the world of good to grow up with them. I never left her alone with them when she was tiny and apart from one incident where she was playing with the water and cat food in their bowls (but she was also at the age where she put a snail in hermouth so I wasn't too concerned) we haven't regretted it for a second.

we had a pet hoover which worked really well, but everytime i stroked them or they lay asleep on the sofa, bed etc they left so much furr, i couldnt handle it.

I have always had boy cats and got them done at 5 months old, it stopped them spraying, but they still wee'd everywhere, they had a cat flap and a litter box but they still did it, naughty things!

I love cats and have always been brought up with them, i do miss having them about but i just cant handle them when im pregnant or have a newborn, being as this is my last baby i will prob get another in teh future, but not untill the baby is over a year old

x

I think it all comes down to the person. If someone feels that they can safely keep their cats while TTC or with a newborn than that's wonderful. Although I personally feel that it is ok to keep a cat while TTC and with a newborn I also know that some people don't consider it safe and if someone feels strongly against it than it's probably best for both the owner and the cat to rehome the cat. As long as the pet owner is responsible and rehomes the cat to a loving home I see no problems with it. After all that person is just trying to do what's best for them, no one can blame them for that.

I have 7 cats and have worked with cats since I was like, 13 or so. When I went for my first visit at the doc I asked if they could test me for the antibody, which of course I had so..I'm safe. DH still cleans the litter boxes for me, but if you use common sense you're not gonna come into contact with it. Don't garden (outdoor cats might use it as a litter box) and if you do, wear gloves and wash your hands. After you play with your cats, wash your hands (duh) if you do the litter box, wash your hands. I did the litter box until I was 6 wks (when I found out) and even now do it occassionally when DH is away. The chances of getting it, if you've had a cat for awhile are slim to none.

my husband took over the kitty litter duties.
my cat sleeps on my bed but by my feet, and whenever I pet her I make sure to wash hands after. It really isn't that bad.

Hey there, thanks for bringing this up... I also have a cat...and a dog. My partner and I have shared a long distance relationship for most of the time that have been together. I am a 33 year old professional person... I work like crazy and have lived on my own for about 10years. I love my pets!!! He doesn't quite understand how close and how much I love them..... and speaks easily about having to get rid of the cat 'cause I am preggers. I told him that many pregnant women are around cats and as long as I am causious about cleaning the cats litter box then I should be fine... I will do some more research to show him....and I feel encouraged by the words share here... so THANKS folks! I hate the idea of loosing my furry friends!!!

my cat is my first baby, how could i ever get rid of her like that?
i practiced my mothering skills on her!!! ahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->