Pregnant with #1 ~ May Babies 2013!

I do a modified swaddle for Levi -- I leave his arms out. I know you're supposed to swaddle their arms in but he hates it and they don't seem to keep him awake. The last two nights he's slept 5+ hr stretches!

hey! I'd love to hear about how you got days and nights in place correctly, we're struggling a little with that right now..

Also- any idea about lots of spit up suddenly? We're on formula only now, and it's been the same type since we moved to that 2 weeks ago. Could she just now be showing signs of it not agreeing with her?

Jdub - define "lots" of spit up. Is it the whole bottle or a couple tablespoons? I have experience with babies with reflux and they will literally spit up the whole bottle. If its a few tablespoons, that is usually normal. Could be a gas bubble, of LO could have just eaten too much. If they eat more than their tummies can hold they will spit up the rest. Hope that helps!!

AFM, so excited that my LO was able to do the side lying breastfeeding position with me for the first time this morning! I've been wanting to try it but I've been a bit afraid to stray from the crossover hold, which is the position she finally learned to latch well from. After she drank, I felt like jumping up and down I was so excited lol!

Oh ps - as for days and nights, we swaddle her and put her in a cosleeper bassinet by my side. It's a different routine for her because she rarely goes in the bassinet during the day. Eventually I want to add a bath to bedtime routine - for now I usually bathe during the day. But I've read routines work wonders for bedtime! My LO only gets up once in the night!!

Levi has done pretty good with days/nights. He only wakes up once or twice but usually goes back to sleep fairly quickly after a change & feed. He gets a bath every night though, and has since we brought him home. Well it was sponge baths until his umbilical cord fell off. He doesn't always fall asleep right away after (tonight I gave him a bath around 7:30 and he didn't go to sleep until 10!), but he definitely gets calmer and much more ready for bed overall.

Jdub, since Monday Levi has spit up more too, and I'm breastfeeding. I think, for him at least, it's a combination of me not burping him well enough and him eating too much. Even though breastfed babies don't typically have to be burped as much as formula fed babies, I try to burp him at least 2-3 times per feed, or he just gets too much gas built up.

Jdub, I hope your nights have gotten better, if not, we got the days and nights "right" by implementing a hard wake time. We feed the boys on a 3 hour schedule and will continue to do so until they're sleeping 10-12 hours at night. We do a feed, wake, sleep, feed... schedule.
Our hard wake time is 7 AM so we wake them up for the day, feed, keep them awake for a bit if we can (change clothes and diapers, etc.), then put them down until 10 - we continue this at 1, 4, 7, and just before 10 we do a bath and put them down - at night we don't allow wake time it's feeding and putting them down right after burping. At night we let them wake to feed rather than waking them up at the 3 hour mark, so no matter what time we do their last "night feed" (even if it's at 5:30) we still do a 7 AM wake time.
We were already doing 3 hour feeds during the day, but we had been letting them wake naturally to eat, but they were awake a lot at night and super fussy, something about implementing a hard wake time ironed out their days and nights after about 4 days. Now they have a bit of wake time after their daytime feeds rather than being awake after their nighttime feeds.
We try to always wake them up for the day within 20 mins or our usual 7AM wake time - sometimes we get off during the day so they get put down for the night at a different time, but we're not going to try adding a hard bed time until they're sleeping at least 8 hours on a normal night. We're doing all of this based on the Baby Wise model of parenting based on the book "On Becoming Baby Wise: Giving Your Infant The Gift Of Nighttime Sleep"

Also we've stopped changing diapers at night unless they're poopy, it helps keep them from getting stimulated.

Are you formula feeding Pixie? Levi does pretty good at night not staying awake after eating, but after his one long stretch he usually only does short stretches of sleep after that!! Since I'm breastfeeding though I'm feeding on demand for now. After the magic 6 week breastfeeding mark, probably closer to 8-12 weeks, I will try to get into more of routine with his daytime feedings, but I hope he falls into his own pattern by then!

We are primarily bottle feeding and each bottle is half formula, half breast milk. Sometimes we get off our routine during the day if they get hungry before it's time for their next feed, so then we just start a new 3 hour schedule at that time and start back on our normal time schedule the next morning. I do breast feed some, but my production is just not enough so they'd want to feed a lot more frequently when I BF.
Mine are really only going 3.5-4 hours at night between feeds, they'll generally do 2 stretches like this, it probably doesn't seem like much, but they sleep so much more at night because they seem to eat quickly because that's all they're focusing on, and they've been going down so much more easily than they used to.

Yeah 3.5 hrs is about his longest stretch. Every stretch after that is 1-2 hrs from when put him back down... I just can never get him to settle very well after that, or maybe it's just he's too sleepy to eat enough to keep him asleep for longer!! It doesn't help that DH started a new job and has to get up usually about an hour after his 2nd waking, and that's wakes the baby up again. Oh well. This too shall pass =). Once I get going for the day I'm usually okay anyway!

I can't believe how fast time is going! Lucas is 6 weeks old today!

So today I was doing some chores around the house and I had Lucas lying on his tummy on his play mat. While I was gathering the trash from the bathrooms, I hear him start screaming! I rush into the living room and he was on his back! My baby rolled over from his tummy to his back and I missed it! :( oh well! I'm sure I'll see it soon!

Hooray Lucas! Levi is not a huge fan of tummy time. However, since birth, he's been able to get up on his side from his back :wacko: I remember he did it the first night after he was born, and I was shocked. Told my mom and DH about it and they thought I was lying until he did it at home too! I'm not ready for him to fully roll over yet though -- that can wait!

time goes by so fast :( Monica is already 7 weeks old on monday.. Im already trying to hold back tears

We just hit nine weeks. The boys are rolling over and smiling lots. They had their first shots this week and did really well, just a bit fussy for a couple days. Time is flying by just a bit too fast for my liking.

Leo has hit 10 weeks today and he also had his shots last week... it broke my heart that he was smiling away at the Nurse even as she stuck the needle in him and the shock of it just spread across his face.. I felt like I had betrayed him!! He cried for about 10 seconds and then started smiling again just as she hit him with another needle poor little soul.

Just weighed him and he is now 10lb 7ozs... my sweet little diddy man!!

Oh no padbrat! I'm not looking forward to that appt. we have ours on the 8th.

On another note, anyone else told you have granular tissue? It's something I had never heard of, then at my 6 week check up the midwife (whom I don't like much ever since she delivered me) put silver nitrate on it and I'm back to square one down there! I have a follow up appt next week and if the silver nitrate didn't take care of it she says she will have to give me a local anesthetic and snip it! :( will the pain ever end?!?! Ugh!!! But like I said, I've been kind of terrified of her sin e the birth, so I called the office and rescheduled my appointment with a doctor instead.

Good luck with your appt Bella!

Well.... unbelievably Leo is teething!!! Yes at 10 wks old he has 2 teeth coming through at the bottom. You can clearly see the white in his gum and he is furiously chewing everything he can get his hands on. I can't believe my baby boy is getting teeth already!

Alright ladies I need some advice! My maternity leave is over on July 30th and I could really use some thoughts on how to beat the anxiety. I don't think it bothers Lucas to be left (we've been out a couple of times and left him with my mom), it's more I'm already starting to have anxiety about leaving him. We're still trying to work out child are but no one seems good enough to me! HELP! I wish I could just be a SAHM!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->