Pregnant women who know nothing about pregnancy :|

This is probably going to sound quite nasty and bitchy but nevermind..

It really aggrivates me when pregnant women seem to know NOTHING about pregnancy. There's this girl at work who is due 4 weeks after me and she never has a clue about whats happening to her body. Like for example she didn't even know she had to deliver the placenta or that she would bleed for a few weeks after the birth :dohh: This woman is 35 btw so you'd think she'd know simple things like that at her age. Or you'd think she'd be reading up about it. She isn't going to antenatal classes either :( god help her when she goes into labour.

I never went to any classes. But, they do help lots of people :) This is my baby number five (+ an angel pg). I do not know what a damn placenta is now. Someone smack me! wait I am having another kid! smack me! :rofl:

I guess if she is this clueless about a placenta and such. How the hell is she going to deal with a newborn? I hope her skill in that area is far more advanced!

I don't know if it's because I'm 19 but I'm soooo vigilant about learning as much as I can about being pregnant and having a baby.. bought 3 books so far, read them cover to cover, and have TONS of magazines from the past couple years hehe. I'll admit I haven't got much of a clue as to things like proper bath temperatures for babies yet and some details like that but I start my classes soon!! :)

AND worst of all I have no idea what to expect I'm going to go through during the birth, just pain and what they showed us in our health class video.. hopefulllllly they will talk about it in classes lol.

I only got a pooter this year but used to read all the info my midwife gave me and get magazines too.Found tonnes out by reading them and I think it's good to show an interest in finding out about something as special and important as having a child. Even without reading anything I'm gobsmacked at what some Mum's to be believe:dohh:

Someone I know didn't realise she was pregnant until she was 12 weeks (even though you could tell she was showing by the time she found out!) When she found out she started asking me questions that I really thought might be obvious, such as "do you get stomach pains or backache, do you need to wee a lot, do you ever feel sick."

This is my 5th pregnancy (will be my third baby) and I am so intune with my body.
When I had my first son I was 19 and knew something was going on,besides missed period I felt different.
I did the test and got myself to WHSmiths fast to get a big pregnancy book to educate myself on everything that would be happening to me.

There is a lot of info out there,magazines,online,books,tv.

james's sisters on baby number 3 and she still has no idea shes also 38 and a total plum

maybe ignorance is bliss when it comes to the actual giving birth part?

Although MM does have a point, I would like to add that a computer and/or internet connection is not the only way to find out what is going on or what to expect. Although I really value this site and have got a lot of support and reassurance here, most of my knowledge so far has come from a really comprehensive book I bought right at the start and the magazines I've been reading. Then there is all the information given by my MW, both verbal and written.

I agree. Dunno how anyone can have such a big change going on inside them and not know anything about it or care to find out :dohh: baffles me.

I can understand why people may have been confused/oblivious to pregnancy things years ago, but in this day and age? Nah!

If anything, we have TOO MUCH info! Sometimes googling things can be a curse!

maybe ignorance is bliss when it comes to the actual giving birth part?

Maybe for some people, but I've heard my mum talk about my brother's birth too many times to think it's usually best! In 1971 people just didn't talk about it. My mum didn't have a clue what was happening. Her waters breaking was one of the most alarming things she has ever gone through.

She needs to come here then. I didnt know a thing at the start but I have learned so much from the net and books. I couldnt not know what was happening to my body or how to take care of the baby. I do know a few that waltze into things like that. I have to know stuff.

I'm not at all surprised by women who are totally ignorant of what's happening to their bodies during pregnancy. I have been flabbergasted for years by how many women are completely unaware of their own fertility cycles or basic physical health.
I'm like the rest of you - I have a natural curiousity that leads me to the library or the internet. But I also have a strong sense of self-empowerment and responsibility. I want and need to know that my body is healthy and that what it's going through at any given time is normal. I need to pay attention to it's patterns and signs because that is how I know if something isn't right. It's how to protect my health so that I can take care of myself and my family.
That seems so basic to me. So fundamental.
And yet, I meet so many women who have absolutely no clue about their bodies. It's puzzling and somewhat alarming. If you don't know what's normal and healthy for yourself, then how do you know if something is wrong?
I think all you can do is try to be there to offer advice and support. But it's odd that more people don't see this issue as a matter of huge importance.

It's funny, on a similar note but unrelated to pregnancy I was really surprised when someone I used to work with made a comment about how many calories were in the rice she was eating for lunch one day.

She was a very athletic young woman, who I would have assumed knew enough about nutrition not to say something like this. I don't remember exactly what the calorie content was or exactly what she said, but she seemed to be implying that it would take her two hours on the cross trainer to work off the calories.

I actually felt the need to tell her that she didn't have to find a way to work off every calorie she consumed, that she needed 2000 a day just to function :dohh:

She really hadn't struck me as someone obsessed with calories, exercise or weight, and blinded to realistic health goals by unrealistic expectations. I thought she was just health conscious in a good way. Maybe she was and I misinterpreted her comment. But that's just how it struck me at the time.

Anyway, it just worries me b/c if she doesn't know what's normal how will she know if something goes wrong?

This is the thing that worries me the most.........I mean, most first time mums won't know how to bath or change a baby & things like that......I certainly don't, but I know that the midwives in hospital will help me with that.

But if you don't know what should be happening with your body, you won't know if something is wrong.....and that really scares me! I don't like to ask people things, and I am not going to any classes, but I have 2 books I can read & there's always the internet too...........

Well hun, at least you are well informed! She wont know whats going on, and like you, I would prefer to be informed!

I have a friend who's 5months pg with her second, and she didn't know what a trimester was, and when I said I couldnt wait to get out of first tri as I'm feeling rough and cant wait to bloom, her response was "Trimester? what's that? It sounds really posh!"

Lets hope she knows what shes doing when shes had the baby !!!

It does suprise me that some people don't bother buying magazines or reading books. I have had loads out from the libary, the plan was to save money by not having to buy them but as im a muppet I forget to return them on time and always seem to have a huge fine when I finally do take them back, oops :dohh:

Can I rant here about woman who don't seem to know a thing about how their bodies work? My work collegue recently asked me if I got periods since I am pregnant. I said "of course not, do you not know what periods are for?" And when she said no, i had to start explaining about the birds and the bees to her!! (This woman is older than me btw..) TBH I don't get on with this woman at all and she has always seemed to have absolutely no common sense whatsoever, but this just proved it. I asked her if she ever wonders why young girls and older woman can't have babies. "No, why?" So another explaination of how the world spins ensues... How can a woman not know this kind of stuff!? :hissy:

Can I rant here about woman who don't seem to know a thing about how their bodies work? My work collegue recently asked me if I got periods since I am pregnant. I said "of course not, do you not know what periods are for?" And when she said no, i had to start explaining about the birds and the bees to her!! (This woman is older than me btw..) TBH I don't get on with this woman at all and she has always seemed to have absolutely no common sense whatsoever, but this just proved it. I asked her if she ever wonders why young girls and older woman can't have babies. "No, why?" So another explaination of how the world spins ensues... How can a woman not know this kind of stuff!? :hissy:

Yikes! That's scary.

Yikes! That's scary.

Made me laugh actually.. I remember having to explain to my best friend what periods were for. We're both 19, and they taught us about it in school starting in grade 2 for pregnancy, and grade 6 for periods/sex ed. She's a huuge ditz, I love her and all, but honestly is the dumbest girl I know, lol. That's what you get for not paying attention/going to school though!

:shock: Maybe she's been living under a rock...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->