Premature babys and discharge

AshtonsMom

Reaction score
My son was born at 27+4 at 883 grams he has been breathing with a Nasal Canula at 2 liters , has not been intruduced to the breast yet and still has a feeding tube but he has been introduced to a bottle he drank 10 cc of breastmilk. Around when do babys at this age come home? How much do most Preemies weigh at the time of discharge?

This is the one question that nobody can give an answer to. As the ladies here will tell you, we've had some go home after a few weeks and some in for months, we've had some go home at 3 and a half pounds and some at 7. Most of us were told to expect our LO's home on their due dates and treat any time before that as a bonus. There isn'teven a rule of thumb, it really does depend on how well your own LO does each day.

The actual weight usually a factor in whether to discharge, they just need to show a constant gain in weight. As well as this, they will want to see your LO be able to maintain their body temperature, breathe independently and feed without the tube. Some babies do go home with oxygen tubes or feeding tubes but only if this is the only thing they need and further in patient care isn't necessary.

If your LO is feeding from a bottle, and you intend to breastfeed, push the staff to let you put your LO to your breast. Even if he isn't actually feeding from it, it will give him the idea that he is supposed to and will help your supply. The suck reflex doesn't usually come in until 34 weeks but Abby was at the breast from 31 weeks, having a go. It took a while to establish, so the fact we started early was a help. Anytime your LO is in your arms, have a go at feeding.

It is hard, but try to relax about when he is coming home. He will be there before you know it.

thank you soo much , i feel so much comfort since ive been on here asking questions to everyone just knowing that somebdy else has been through this is just a comfort thanks for your help i really appreciate it

thank you soo much , i feel so much comfort since ive been on here asking questions to everyone just knowing that somebdy else has been through this is just a comfort thanks for your help i really appreciate it

You are very welcome. It can feel like such a lonely experience. Having others who have been through it is really useful. Have a look for a support group in your area as even once they get home, being the mum of a preemie you will find those with big bouncing full termers don't understand your worries or what you are going through. Try to get chatting to the other mums on the unit too.

Hey hun, each baby is totally individual. Alot is to do with breathing help and fighting infections etc which lengthens their stay. My son was born at 27+5 on 31st March, and came home on the 17th June, 1 week before his due date. Hope your babs will be home where he belongs soon. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->