premie turning one and in home daycare!

BrittLeblanc

Pregnant 2nd trimster
Reaction score
Hey guys I had a question. My LO was born at 25 weeks gestation and I was told to wait until he was one to put him in a daycare. Well since he is now 14 months a lady watchs kids out of her house(licensed and etc.) BUt everyone tells me they are usually sick for the frist 6 months up to a year before their immune system is built up. Has anyone been threw this and give me your sotries. I heard from one lady that her baby has had nothing but problem since he turned one with being sick and has been going on for 3 years. This scared me a little bit.

Babys need exposing to bacteria and viruses to build up antibodys for them. Healthy children born at term often catch colds and bugs once they start mixing with other children but the more they catch as children the less they catch ad adults.

Unless your LO would get really sick from having a cold or a tummy bug id say go for it, they will end up catching them at some point anyway.

Lozzy-Thank you soo very much. I feel guilty when he gets sick because he's around other kids. I've been holding him getting sick as being my fault for putting him in that position. After going thru the premature issues I guess we all kinda feel that way with stuff like this.

Hi I also have a 25weeker and I put her into nursery in April 3 weeks before she turned 1 year corrected. Since starting she has had a runny / blocked nose and she got the adenovirus but thankfully she is so far handling it all pretty well. Prior to her going to nursery she hadn't been around children very much but nursery has made her much more socialable and we went to visit lots of my family a few weeks back who she had never met and she wasn't shy at all.

I agree at some point they have to build up their immune system and if it isn't done at nursery when they start school they will be hit with all the bugs.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I put mine into nursery when he was very young - 6 weeks corrected infact. I did weigh up the risks of him getting sick against having him at home with a nanny ( I had to go back to work at 3 months) but decided I preferred the nursery option. He did get ill and had bronchiolitis which was my biggest fear but didn't need hospitalising, he also had norovirus and a number of coughs and colds but he's fine and I think being around other kids has been really really good for his development. They are going to have to come into contact with bugs at some point, and there is scientific evidence to say that delaying this could cause a whole raft of other issues as the immune system doesn't function properly.

I've looked into this berycarefully as before leaving the hospital they told me not to even take her tesco. Well obviously I have to shop lol I decided that while minimising the risks, hand sanitizing and not taking her to se anyone whos had a cold etc that I was going to treat her as a 'normal' baby. My reasoning is that I want her to build up her immune system a bit before winter comes so its not such a shock to her.

I think in your case you should go for it because you cant protect them forever eventually they are going to come into contact with other children x

Thank you guys so much!! I have had my lo in an at home daycare for about a month now. He has had the stomach virus but handle it very well and also a bad cold and I had to start him on breathing treatments but other than that so far has been it. There's a girl at the daycare that had a 25 weeker and she told me her baby has been extremely sick since she put him in daycare having to be hostpialized several times. This really scared me but I think he's got a lot of issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->