Private antenatal classes

midwifej

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a midwife based in Yorkshire.
I am currently thinking about offering a new service to mums to be and was wondering if anyone here would tell me if it is something that is wanted by mums and partners.
As part of my current job I teach antenatal classes on the NHS and feel that they do not adequately meet the needs of mums and partners due to time/financial pressure of the NHS.
I would like to offer a service to women and their families in the Yorkshire area for either private antenatal classes in a group setting or one to one home based information giving.
My aim would be to cover the subjects usually covered in NHS classes, such as active birth, pain relief, coping techniques in labour, stages of labour, breastfeeding, etc. but I can tailor the sessions to discuss things that the couple or group of couples really want to know, e.g. twins, VBAC, spend more time on subjects that are wanted by the group, etc.

Is this a service that you would use?
Would you be more likely to attend group sessions or one to one?
What would be a reasonable amount of money to pay for these sessions?
Would you be interested in a luxury weekend? (e.g. based in a hotel/spa, with treatments included in the price, overnight stay, hotel meals, goody bags and antenatal sessions as well?)

Thank you for any help you can give me, I really want to improve a service that I see is currently lacking.

p.s. if anyone has any pregnancy questions they want to ask me, please go ahead

yes this is a service id be interested in, i attended my first antinatal class last week and it was a giant waist of time. NCT classes are ment to be good but they are out of my budget.

good luck with your venture there is certainly a gap in the market!

I agree, my antenatal classes were really poor too, so with my second child i didnt go to any.
If id have known about private sessions in my area i would have definately looked into it.

I'd certainly pay for private classes. I'd think there is a good gap in the market for it, and have been left disappointed by my midwife care so far.

As for how much I'd be willing to pay, it would depend on how many classes and what the content was but probably about £250 maximum. Out of what you've suggested, I'd prefer a private home visit (maybe give discount if the hosting Mum has pregnant friends who come to?) and I wouldn't like an overnight hotel stay as I'd feel like my money was going to that rather than the service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->