procedure in USA?

cutie4evr01

Reaction score
Hi girls,

Hubby and I have been ttc for 10 months, and finally have succeeded! I have gotten lots of BFPs over the weekend (I think I'm 4 weeks as I ovulated 2 weeks ago), and I was so excited to call my gyno this morning. They said I don't come in to check anything out right now, just come for first appt. at 8-10 weeks! I totally thought they were going to do a quantitative HCG to verify, or even two to confirm it's not ectopic. Not to mention I have tons of questions about which face soaps, deodorants, etc. are safe to use, whether it's ok to exercise, intercourse, etc. So now I feel like crying that they are leaving me on my own for the first 8 weeks, which are very critical times in baby's development! Maybe I'm just getting worked up because it's my first, and I don't know anything about being pregnant. I'm wondering if this is normal of gynos in the US or should I try to get on with another one who will go ahead and see me right away?

Thanks! :hugs:

i am in San -Francisco and for me too when i did get my BFP my OBGYN told me to call the center and they will schedule a appoitement around 7 to 8 weeks ...when i call they made a mistake and booked me at 4 weeks and 5 days ...i went anyway ...but they only did a scan ( we were available to only see 2 sacs at that stage ) we still have not done the blood tests etc...The Doc told me to come when i was a little bit further along ( i am going to day at 7 weeks +1 day ) ...and we will do the real thing this time...i think it's only procedure they don't see you until 7 weeks as when they do a scan they are more guaranty to see something on the scan etc....

i think you can always go early if you feel the need just call them and tell them you are not feeling well and prefer to check thing out ...

She told me when i ask her at the time for a blood test...she said you already did pregnancy tests that confirm your pregnant ...at this time the blood tests won;t tell us more...

good luck darling!

Hrm, some doctor offices do make people wait this long and others don't. If you don't feel comfortable waiting so long then maybe you can call and explain your reasoning for wanting to come in sooner. If they refuse you can find another office that is willing to take you in earlier. Congrats on the pregnancy hun! Good luck. :)

I see a doctor in Boston, MA and I called the day after my BFP and they scheduled to see me. I came in, they didn't test my pee for pregnancy but rather a culture. They got blood work from me and did an ultrasound as well. They wanted to start off to see my health and then I came back in 2weeks to meet with the dr, then I came back the next month. I since have switched dr's (horror story)... and I have my 12 week exam on April 30th (which all the books I'm reading says that marks 2nd tri, so yay!!). I think dr's want to make you wait, cause honestly the first 8 weeks there's really nothing to see, it doesn't look like a baby but rather a lima bean. HAHA. As for your hygiene products, pick up a book... it will help to calm your nerves. Try to avoid heavy chemical products (heavy alcohol or acne medication- are something to check with a dr on). I have "Pregnancy week by week" it's a fairly large book, forget the author- but it really helped. Try not to stress yourself out about all the little things, just be careful of the world around you and what you take into your body... you'll be fine. :hugs:

Yeah, it's pretty normal for docs in US to wait until 8-10 weeks to see you because in 'normal pregnancies', they can't really tell u much before that anyways!! They should also however to contact them right away should you feel something's wrong...

I had my first appt booked at 9 weeks...but because i had a minor spotting issue during my 6th week, they asked me to come in and get myself checked out..

as for day to day things, nothing much changes; I think you're ok to use/do whatever you were previously doing...but the idea is to take it easy a bit, eat more (and well) and stay positive :)

good luck and congrats :)

Congrats on your bfp!!

Here in Minnesota they dont see you until 8 weeks either. I went in to er (tried to go to urgent care but they dont take pregnant women) because I had spotting and cramping the day after bfp. So they did blood work. Saw obgyn 2 days later as a followup from er (standard here) but that was only pelvic exam to see if I was bleeding and blood tests. No info- no edd or anything. I had borderline hypertension before getting pregnant so they are wanting me to come in next Monday (I will be 6 weeks) instead of my appt that was originally scheduled for 8 weeks. I agree - get a pregnancy book - & ask questions on here - everyone is pretty helpful!
I saw a nutritionist because I specifically requested to see one - and then when there found out after my 8 week appt they usually schedule a visit to see her anyway. I thought that was later than it should be too.

In Wyoming, I dont see the doctor until 11 weeks. They schedule ultrasound at 12-14 weeks. If I have any probelms or questions I just call up and talk to the nurse. I have a fantasic doctor and would see me if I wanted to but am trying to hold off until they recommend seeing me. I think I have called 3 times about various things and so no need for me to go in.

I also have the book You Pregnancy Week by Week. I found it during my first pregnancy and it is great. I ususally skim a few weeks ahead and they offer good advice for many things that you are wondering about.

Thanks girls, it makes me feel better to know everyone else has the same experience. I have done tons of reading on my own since it took us so much longer than we thought, but I just wanted confirmation from the doc about what is ok and what's not. :) I called my sis right after I posted on here and she said for all 3 of hers, her doc took a blood test just because she asked for it. So I called my gyno office back and just asked if they'd do it for peace of mind, and she said no. Even when I told her I'm hypothyroid and I need to have my levels checked ASAP, she said "Well you better call your endocrinologist because we won't see you until 10 weeks". So basically I was upset not only that they aren't going to see me, but also with their attitude and patient treatment, and my sister thought they may have a ton of patients, so that's why they're acting like that. So I wound up calling a different OB/GYN group, and they were very polite, and schedule your first appt. at 6 weeks (I think just meet the doctor to be sure my vitamins are ok and do a pelvic exam), but I certainly will feel better with that, so I'm going to go with them. Thank you all for your support - I meant to come into first tri and properly introduce myself instead of just barging in like this, but I was so worked up this morning! :) Thanks again!

Hehe congrats hun :hugs:

Cant really add to what's already been said seeing as I'm from the UK but it seems to be a very similar story over here too. They dont usually see you before 8 weeks and they dont bother testing to confirm the pregnancy as the HPTs are so reliable these days that there's no point! It all seems very much like Limbo Land for the first 2 months doesnt it!

Glad you are feeling better about the situation. I also would have also called another office to see if they would do things differently. I really hate rude doctors offices.

Thanks girls, it makes me feel better to know everyone else has the same experience. I have done tons of reading on my own since it took us so much longer than we thought, but I just wanted confirmation from the doc about what is ok and what's not. :) I called my sis right after I posted on here and she said for all 3 of hers, her doc took a blood test just because she asked for it. So I called my gyno office back and just asked if they'd do it for peace of mind, and she said no. Even when I told her I'm hypothyroid and I need to have my levels checked ASAP, she said "Well you better call your endocrinologist because we won't see you until 10 weeks". So basically I was upset not only that they aren't going to see me, but also with their attitude and patient treatment, and my sister thought they may have a ton of patients, so that's why they're acting like that. So I wound up calling a different OB/GYN group, and they were very polite, and schedule your first appt. at 6 weeks (I think just meet the doctor to be sure my vitamins are ok and do a pelvic exam), but I certainly will feel better with that, so I'm going to go with them. Thank you all for your support - I meant to come into first tri and properly introduce myself instead of just barging in like this, but I was so worked up this morning! :) Thanks again!

SOOOO glad you decided to check out another doctor... I had a Dr from hell experience and had to switch doctors and in the process I learned a valuable lesson- this is MY pregnancy and whatever makes me more comfortable, is right, end of story!! So if you need a dr to see you and put your mind at ease, they should do it!!! ESPECIALLY since we pay for our healthcare in this country, so it's really a fight for clients... not fight for service. That doctor/nurse seemed to want to stick to protocol which is good for her, but when a patient persists, you should just give in. It's medical and you're a first time mother, there are bound to be worries. I had a list at my 2nd appointment. 1st they confirmed my pregnancy by doing an ultrasound, but it didn't show all that much but a sack, when she did the internal exam I saw the bean!!! It was great!! I wish you all the best and that nurse should go to some socialization skills, cause she's just plain rude!!! :hugs:

Thanks Irish, I appreciate your support! :) I definitely feel much more relieved and excited about my BFP now that we have the doctors sorted out. :) Congratulations on your pregnancy!! And congrats to everyone else here in First Tri too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->