Professor slammed for BF during class

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't see that there's any debate. In Australia if someone tried BFing a toddler while on the clock, they would be laughed out of the workplace. And I can see why. Work time is work time. Not sick toddler BF time. Stay home and look after her. Don't bring her into class, spread her illness around (what about any immuno-compromised students??) and proceed to BF her while attempting to teach a class these students have paid good money for. It might be different in other parts of the world but that sort of me-first entitlement in the workplace from that professor just would not wash here.

The guy who tweeted during the class (not that THAT is a distraction....) only did so after she started feeding the child, why not when he first went it. And he later tweeted "...I don't do feminism, I'm a pro-male chauvinism type guy #makemeasandwich"

...and yet is is the professor who is considered wrong?

......So it's the student's fault now?

I think the point being made there was rather that someone who is taking time to "tweet" isn't exactly "focused" to be distracted... this is why its laughable to me that some are trying to say she "forced" the students to watch her. Half the time students are watching a powerpoint presentation, texting, tweeting, checking facebook, or if they're actually listening then they've got their head down, and are writing notes.

For me the issue isn't that she breastfed but there seems to be a determination to make it about that, its that she took a child, who was sick, to her place of work WHILST she was supposed to be teaching students, who pay thousands for their education and deserve her full attention.

And that's a totally fair stance to take from a personal perspective HOWEVER the news headline isn't that "Woman takes sick toddler to work"

The news clearly is attempting to make the issue that she breastfed.

I just cant understand why people think this woman is in the right?!?!?! The worlds gone barking mad!!!

For me the issue isn't that she breastfed but there seems to be a determination to make it about that, its that she took a child, who was sick, to her place of work WHILST she was supposed to be teaching students, who pay thousands for their education and deserve her full attention.

And that's a totally fair stance to take from a personal perspective HOWEVER the news headline isn't that "Woman takes sick toddler to work"

The news clearly is attempting to make the issue that she breastfed.

Thats what i said... :dohh:

Honestly, i think (prepares to be killed) that the reason we are disagreeing is that she is breastfeeding. I would have the same opinion if she went in with a bottle or a tub of food. Her child should not have been there. Yes, the headline of the article is focusing on that, purely to shock however i think all the women who disagree with her actions on this thread would feel the same if breastfeeding was never mentioned.

What people are saying though is would this even have been given any attention otherwise? People bring their children to work every day. The university isn't even batting an eyelid over her bringing her children.

does anyone else have a 1 year old? because my lo is 18 months and all over the place! how could she teach a class and look after her toddler? that would be extremely distracting for the students, not to mention dangerous fir the toddler if her mother was distracted by lecturing. all this, is unprofessional and inappropriate, not even mentioning bf. although i have to say i nursed both my babies, one fir 18 months and the other 10 months, and i would be extremely uncomfortable if my prof bf infront of the class. there are more discreet ways, like nursing in a sling. but then agaun we are not talking about a baby, we are talking about a toddler. one who can have other drinks besides bm.

The guy who tweeted during the class (not that THAT is a distraction....) only did so after she started feeding the child, why not when he first went it. And he later tweeted "...I don't do feminism, I'm a pro-male chauvinism type guy #makemeasandwich"

...and yet is is the professor who is considered wrong?

......So it's the student's fault now?

I think the point being made there was rather that someone who is taking time to "tweet" isn't exactly "focused" to be distracted... this is why its laughable to me that some are trying to say she "forced" the students to watch her. Half the time students are watching a powerpoint presentation, texting, tweeting, checking facebook, or if they're actually listening then they've got their head down, and are writing notes.

So the point is then, that since the students are already distracted, it's perfectly acceptable for a professor to bring her toddler to class? I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. :shrug:

Have you not noticed a majority of breastfeeding women say this is unprofessional?! Babies have NO place in a lecture hall. None. If your students are distracted too bad. In my university we were graded on paying attention as well as test scores and professors took cell phones til the end of class or kicked out students using them.

And I am in the US. I know how bad maternity leave is. That doesn't mean she can use her classroom as a sick ward. Obviously she wasn't paying much attention to her sick child if she got a paper clip in her mouth and a student pointed it out. Which meant the student wasn't paying attention to to lecture.

Get over the breastfeeding. Child shouldnt be there. Not professional. Who cares if it's one lecture. Students are still paying for it not paying for the mom to look after her sick child.

If a professor can't devote her attention to what she's being paid for she shouldn't be teaching. There's plenty of people willing to take her place in the US right now who would give 100%

I'm not sure where I stand on the issue, and I haven't disagreed with your previous posts. But you are now starting to get very angry and insistent and rather cruel.

First, the bit in red. Who determines that babies have no place in the classroom? Is it a rule? Did you create that rule and therefore have first hand knowledge of it? From what I recall there was no disciplinary action taken on the teacher, nor do I recall a statement from the administration on their stance on the issue. The fact is that a university can be a lax environment, professors grade how they wish without anyone enforcing standards or expect them to teach in a cookie cutter way. So bringing her child to work is clearly not illegal. If she does it often, she may get a talking to.

The blue bit - how do you know the student was not paying attention to class? It's possible to pay attention to one thing and have your gaze averted from something else. Unless you can prove that the students were not paying attention in the class then it's arbitrary to claim that they didn't.

About the students paying for the class. Typical consumer entitlement. More and more in America I'm hearing the same kind of sentiment, "I'm paying for this! Do it right! This is MY time!" Just because we pay for something doesn't mean we get to control it, then more we continue to think this way the more this country finds itself in a rut. I don't even know where or how this type of mentality started and it's a shame it dictates everyone now.

Do you really believe that this mother is incapable of doing her job well or not able to focus? You think this is something she should be fired for? Do you want to throw stones at her as well or is stripping her of her livelihood so that someone more worthy can get the job is enough punishment?

Sigh. Yup I must obviously be "cruel" because I do expect to get what I pay for when there are other college choices to go to. I must be cruel because I don't think a professor should use a lecture hall as a daycare. It should be obvious for a toddler not to attend a higher learning lecture about sex or any environment where a teacher needs her attention on her class. Do you honestly think it is American consumerism at fault here? How about good old "me first" attitude of the prof who should have taken care of her baby at home when sick.
As for the paying of attention bit, it shouldn't have been a student who noticed a paper clip in the mouth of the child. Lecture halls aren't baby proof. Obviously it would be hard to pay attention if the student was worried about a choking hazard. Of course there isnt a statement about babies in lecture halls. Just as there isn't one about bringing a horse to class. Because either would be seen as an obvious do not do.

And about stripping her of her livelihood, be serious. It's a sick child. Millions of workers stay home with a sick child. I have a problem with her expecting everyone else to be fine with her decisions that affect everyone around her but only serve herself.

I do believe the university is taking no stance on it because they're afraid of being labeled as anti-breastfeeding....because I'm sure some radical extreme feminists out there would surely label them as so...

The college profs are rated s 72% liberal in 2009 so very possible alaskagrown and that's what I was thinking too

No I don't live in the dark ages, I'd say I was being realistic.

For my job, actually it would not be possible to take my child into work at all. It would be highly unprofessional. I work in mental health & take many phone calls from people who are wanting to refer to deal with their depression. Now I'm sorry but I cannot say half way through a conversation "Thanks for phoning us, I know you want to talk to someone about your depression but my one year old has just ran off with the stapler, can I call you back?"

My DH works on a blast furnace & deals with molten steel...I highly doubt it would be possible for him to take a sick child to work & still be able to do his job.

So I stand by my original point of the child should not have been at work with her in the first place.
And if either of these scenarios were the ones in question, I would agree the parents should not have their children there. But just because it doesn't suit in some situations, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done by anybody. It depends on the child and the job. I work from home sometimes and yes, if I have to have my head down in something very involved, I arrange for someone to take care of Abby. If I needed to go into the office to do it, I wouldn't take her as a boredom prone attention seeking three year old. But I did take her as a sleepy one year old. Mostly my working from home consists of answering emails and writing reports, if I need peace I tell her so, start her off with a game or activity and carry on with what I need to do. I've taken her to meetings with heads of hospitals and with politicians and she sat in and everyone was delighted to have her there. Would I take her to a make or break negotiation with a top client? Not a chance. But as a professional person I'm more than capable of making that distinction, as is this lecturer.

But foogirl, only you would be distracted by your LO. Not an entire classroom as well.

But seriously, if you can do your work well without distracting others AND watching your baby that's awesome. I wish I could do that. There's plenty of ladies on here and elsewhere who do school online and watch their babies while writing reports. I could only do it if he was sleeping or playing quiety in his bouncer. I have a hard time concentrating with distractions due to add. Which a lot of students may have as well. I am having a hard time just doing housework because LO is so clingy and I can't use the wrap because I have to bend over often to do some of the things I have to do.

But foogirl, only you would be distracted by your LO. Not an entire classroom as well.

An open plan office full of people were not distracted, nor were any meeting participants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back