Pumping at work moms, help!

Wugz22

Reaction score
Today is my first day back to work. I miss 3 feedings while I'm working so I'm able to pump right when I get to work, lunch, and right after work. I am a teacher so not really any other breaks in there. My first pump didn't get enough for a feeding and now I'm in a panic! I would be devistated if I couldn't pump enough milk for him!!!

Didn't want to read and run, and I have no advice either. But wanted to say that I'm so happy to see other working mom's making it work. I'll be a career-mom who pumps at work too, and I'm scared. But hopefully things will turn out ok.

Maybe you have a bit of anxiety with this being your first day back at work. Hopefully the rest of the day goes quickly, and you get in the swing of things. :hugs:

Well I may have panicked too soon, the next couple of pumps at work made up for what I didn't pump the first round. I guess if I always come out ahead at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what I pump at individual sittings. Hoping that this keeps up!

I tried to build up a freezer stash because I could never quite pump what u needed for a day. So I used to pump a couple of Times on days I wasn't working and also do an extra late evening pump daily to increase my supply of milk. I went back to work when dd1 was 6 months part time back to 4 days when she was 8 months and managed to pump enough so she only had my milk until she started having a bit of cows milk at 12 months. Good luck it's not easy but it is do able and imo worth it

I wouldn't panic after one day - I've noticed that the amount I pump will vary. When you do the first pump how long is since you've fed baby direct? It will likely get better. If you pump at the same time every day your body will get to know that you need milk at that time so will produce it.

Try to make sure you're relaxed when pumping and try looking at pictures of baby on your phone. I'm sure you'll do great.

I pump at work and BF at home. My schedule is thus:

4-5am BF (yup! I know...) usually a single boobie.
7-8am BF usually a double boobie.

at work

10-11am pump. Yield around 200ml total. I use a Medela Freestyle double breast pump and I only pump for 10mins.

1pm sometimes OH brings wee one in for a feed - usually not though. If I feel full (not every day) then I just 'take the edge off' and pump 50ml off.

3-4pm pump. Yield about the same as before.

Home for about 6.30-7.30pm then immediate boobie when I get through the door. Single boobie

Solid food feed, then bath (yes - I know, food before bath, but we're doing baby-led so stuff ends up EVERYWHERE and there is truly no harm in bathing your baby after they've eaten).

Boobie to sleep for 8-8.30pm. Single boobie.

Up again at 11.30pm ish, and 2ish for a single boobie.

So. I bring home around 400-500ml of milk a day. OH lets the wee one choose as and when he feeds and he rarely has all the milk I supply. Wee one will no longer take my frozen stash (fussy little poo) but will take my milk if it's no older that 2 days old. We tend to bin the previous days milk if it's not drunk.

I think the take home message is that your baby will be fine. Usually they'll be like my wee one and make up for lost boobie when you get back in. It's a great excuse to have more 'close' time and there's nothing like baby cuddles and nursing to relax you after a long, stressful day at work. :)

All the best.

F&L

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"