puppy for Christmas :)

Melissa93

Reaction score
I've decided on getting my daughter a puppy for Christmas, I know a dogs for life not just for Christmas and there is a lot of thought behind this, wanted to get one for ages decided to wait as have holiday in Sept plus as they are so expensive thought would count it as a present and figured its best to get one for Christmas as will have some time off college so be there while settles rather then 2 weeks later for her birthday and then going to college the day after. anyway has anyone got any suggestions on good dogs, my daughter will be 2 exactly 2 weeks after Christmas and don't want too big of a dog as house isn't that big, I know a lot of people suggest staffs but personally they aren't my type of dog xx

My mum and grandma have cocker spaniels. Theyre quite good, reasonably small, manageable dogs.

Im biased though and the only doggy I will ever own is a boxer. They are mental though. But the best dogs in the world :)

I don't personally like the small breed dogs as any of the ones we've met on our walks have been really vicious towards my dog. She's big yet she cowers to the floor at these nasty little yappy dogs. Wouldn't want them around my children tbh!

Just do LOTS of research.

And slightly ahead of things here lol, don't buy colourful dog food :thumbup:

yeah i must admit i prefer bigger dogs like border collies, German shepherds, huskys and when i was researching I came across a breed I fell in love with but isn't very common here, German spitz, yeah I research loads on every aspect and welcome any advice people have :) xx

My personal choice is a dachshund (we have a red haired smooth) but since you like larger dogs a Lab would be a good choice. We have a shepherd/Golden Lab mix.

We have a GScross & he's so clever and extremely loyal. We rescued him but he is quite big & pretty hyper.

A small dog I'd deffo suggest is a shih tzu, my dad had two (he's only got one now) and they're adorable! My dads is around 13 now and has followed him everywhere since a pup. They're teeny :)

I've only had bad experiences with 2 breeds, Staffs (3 different ones, all attacking other dogs) and Jack Russells - OH has scars around his eye as when he was a toddler one attacked him and also my friend had to have hers put to sleep due to it getting very aggressive around children. Definitely do research :)

yeah I've been researching like mad and one reason why I want puppy is so can grow in with my daughter so hopefully be really close, I'd be worried about a rescue dog as you don't know what's gone on in their life before x

I'd suggest a golden retriever over a lab with a 2-year-old. Lab puppies remain puppies until they're about 3 years old, and they're very boisterous and demanding! Golden retrievers are kind of a slightly mellowed version of a lab. Incredibly greedy though, watch out for unguarded food!

Whippets are lovely medium-sized dogs with a gentle nature but some people aren't keen on their appearance and a 2-year-old might do some damage to those delicate limbs.

A cocker or King Charles spaniel would be perfect if you want something smallish and gentle. The King Charles can yap though. Avoid springers as they need a fair amount of exercise and mental stimulation. Same with collies of all kinds, and lurchers. Seriously, the only fair way to raise a collie is to be out training/playing/sporting with it every day unless you live on a farm. Most intelligent and active breed out there.

Another option is the poodle. No shedding, very intelligent and trainable. Make sure it's from good-natured lines though, a few can get snappy.

All the staffs I've come across have been lovely, but unfortunately the breed is getting into the wrong hands and some bad temperament is creeping in :(

As for larger dogs, I wouldn't in a small house with a young child. Something like a shepherd or spitz could end up owning the place.

All those dogs are rubbish ... get a dalmatian ;p hahaha

Research- don't just go with the first dog you see. And make sure you read about Puppy farmers

More info on that here:
https://www.puppylovecampaigns.org/

For goodness sake- whatever you do- DONT take a dog because you feel sorry for it. It will be YOU who has to fork out a lot of money for treatment if it is ill and YOU who has to deal with the heartbreak when something happens to it.

We have always had dogs- Labrador retrievers mostly but also had Spaniels. Very active dogs and will not take well to being stuck in a house while you are out at college- when they are fully grown labradors need LONG walks. My two are walked 2-3 miles a day.

I honestly think you need to re consider if you are going to be out of the house a lot of the time. It isn't good (or fair) on a dog and sorry to say it- but I have reported neighbours in the past who think it is right to work during the week and go out of a weekend and leave the dog to howl the place down. They are a tie- they aren't like cats who are very independent and can be left to their own devices 90% of the time. It is like having another child.

I really don't think it is a good idea if i'm honest- unless you have someone who can call in frequently (im talking 3/4 times a day- esp when they are a pup) to take them out for a quick walk and a cuddle. As I said we have always had them- but both me and my husband are self employed and work outdoors so we have the advantage that we can take them to work with us. I wouldn't even think for a second leaving them alone every day- obviously there is the odd day when they have to be left at home but it isn't a frequent occurrence.

Maybe a cat is more suitable?

If I really can't convince you otherwise- then please remember about puppy farmers. And here is a couple of points for you to consider:

1. If you can, have a look around the outside of the property- can you see several cages? If so the chances are they are farmers and have more than one breed in poor condition. LEAVE and ring the RSPCA immediately (or a local rescue centre)
2. Ensure the puppy is engaging with its mother- sometimes puppies are put with random dogs if something has happened to its own mother
3. Ask if the father can be seen.
4. Ensure the puppy is engaging with its siblings.
5. Ask for the purchase to be subject to veterinary check within 48 hours of purchase. If your vet finds anything wrong with it- return it immediately.
6. Ensure all paperwork is ready at collection- don't be fobbed off with "I will send it to you in the post" this includes vaccination cert, healthcheck report from vet and pedigree/kc certificate.
7. Ensure the area the puppies are kept is clean.
8. Make sure the puppy is at least 8 weeks old.
9 Make sure puppy has been wormed and vaccianted.
10. Many reputable breeders will subscribe to a scheme so the puppy has 6 weeks free insurance. Ensure this is in place and ask for relevant documentation.
11. Give the puppy a once over- does it have any discharge? is it alert? any scabs/sores? any bald patches?

Please make sure you do this- it could save a lot of heartbreak in the long term.

^ Ooh, if your gonna be out a lot I'd definitely swerve away from getting a pup. Maybe an adult dog that's used to being on its own but most dogs hate it & will howl and scratch doors.
I rarely leave our dog home alone and when we do its for an hour.. Like PP said they're like children! If your gonna be out a lot I'd 100% go for a cat or rabbit or something along those lines x

Do you have a family member that doesn't work that can look after the dog while your out at college? A teacher used to pay me weekly to walk her Labrador while she was at work she also asked me to sit in with the dog for an hour so the dog got some company during the day. Her mum then took over and the dog got dropped off at her mums mon-fri so the dog was never alone.

Some dogs can become destructive out of boredom especially pups who are left to their Own devices while your out. My oh brought home a staffy cross gorgeous dog but if I ever left her she'd rip the place apart I'd come in to clothes and rubbish all over the place and one day I came home after leaving her for 2 hours to find she'd ripped up the stair carpet, I was pregnant with my dd and completely lost it she was rehomed that same day! After that experience I'm deffinatly put off dogs for a while! It's deffinatly like having another baby/toddler to keep an eye on.

I'll b out 3 days a week 8-6 my boyfriend has said he will come round on days I'm not there and spend time with the dog and walk it I don't have anyone who could have the dog during the day though, my days won't be consecutive so that would be broken up and my garden backs onto a park so when I get home from college we can take dog there for a walk as well plus I have a big garden for it to run around in, obviously when I'm there x

I have a cocker spaniel and she is wonderful with my 2 yr old as they grew up together (she is 6 months older) i was still working when we got her at the start of Easter hols so she had 2 weeks with us all there before going back to work/school. She is fine when left on her own however she is like a little furry shadow when we are home and hates to be left out. She does not need a huge amount of walking and generally gets a mileish each day. She does have a doggy flap and is happy to entertain herself in the garden of there is no one to play chase. During the week she is home alone 8-4 as she does not destroy things i have never had to worry about leaving her. Though we do have a cage for the post! Any questions feel free to ask...

Thanks nugget80 thats definitely helpful, my friend has a Cocker spaniel x cavalier I think it is and she's lovely, what was your dog like for training? dog you give her free range of house while you are out, sounds like a definite possible breed for us then cos involve if going to be out 3 days a week don't want a highly active dog as wouldn't be fair x

Rubbish at training but that is a much me as her. She was not motivated by treats so was tricky. However she does sit, responds to off when i want her to get off furniture and is good at waiting! Bit rubbish on lead but great with pushchair and has got alot better. She has free range of downstairs when i am out but not the bedrooms or upstairs. We have a baby gate on stairs anyway and that's enough to stop her. Tbh she is not a hugely active dog but Will go miles if we need her to! She is very clingy when we are home and loves her cuddles but as she is a much loved member of our little family there is always someone willing to cuddle up...!

awww she sounds great definitely sort of dog that would fit in well with our family my daughter loves dogs she now shouts doggy, come back whenever she sees one even when she was stroking 2 that went up in her face she wasn't bothered and the other week we was up the park she was in front of me a bit on the grass and a black lab ran past me knocked her over stole her toy and ran off with it, when I picked her up she was just laughing and saying aww doggy xx

Sorry but I have read both of your threads and your are talking as if you are buying your child a toy. An animal isn't a toy.

Would you like to be left for 10 hours a day 3 days a week? I wouldn't- especially when i'm in new surroundings.

I dont think any reputable breeder would go near you if you tell them how long you are planning on leaving it for.

no im not classing it as a toy and im fully aware dogs are not toys it will be a family pet but due to how expensive they are I thought it would make more sense financially to get it as a 'present' and you obviously haven't read the posts that well or you would have seen my boyfriend will be spending time with it and walking it while I'm not there

I'm sorry you think like that... I never claimed she enjoyed being on her own however i know she is not distressed. She is not happy to be alone when she knows people are home. She is alone from 8-4 max, as she is a happy little dog all the time i don't think being home at those times causes undue distress as she shows no signs of stress...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->