puppy for Christmas :)

don't worry nugget80 I think that comment was aimed at me, if I classed it as just buying a toy why would I be looking into things and researching months in advance

Sorry but I have read both of your threads and your are talking as if you are buying your child a toy. An animal isn't a toy.

Would you like to be left for 10 hours a day 3 days a week? I wouldn't- especially when i'm in new surroundings.

I dont think any reputable breeder would go near you if you tell them how long you are planning on leaving it for.

Read the thread before you start being rude. Her boyfriend will be coming to let the dog out, take it for a walk part way through the day just like millions of people with dogs have to do! Not once has she made it sound like shes buying her child a toy. Not once.

She won't be back to reply ;) :wave: don't worry about her!

My personal choice is a dachshund (we have a red haired smooth) but since you like larger dogs a Lab would be a good choice. We have a shepherd/Golden Lab mix.

Woop, woop!! :happydance:

My vote are dachshunds too. We have three little lovies and they are wonderful. <3

I would suggest a Golden Retriever or a Labrador Retriever (unless those two breeds are too big for you). When trained properly, they're amazing family dogs!

We're going to get a Border Collie and German Shepherd soon. :)

I would suggest a Golden Retriever or a Labrador Retriever (unless those two breeds are too big for you). When trained properly, they're amazing family dogs!

My oh wanted a german shepard when we were looking at what puppy to get. He had them as kids and they were so lovely. My auntie used to have a lovely one, so well behaved. Then when the dog died she got another german shepard... and she is the naughtiest thing ever lol. Shes literally destroyed the entire house! She has severe separation anxiety and when her season came it was horrific! Lol! Its put me off ever getting one! xx

Anyone who is truly worried about "but you'll be at work and the poor lonely dog will be alone allll dayyy looong!!" - is simply not realistic. :wacko:

Do you know what dogs mostly do while you're home? Sleep.
Want to take a guess at what they'll probably do while you're gone? Sleep.

Anyone who has read my posts on pets (or my journal) knows my dogs are not just dogs, they are furkids to us. But we must make a living and don't let them run our life. We work, we run errands and we also have a wonderful time with our dogs at home/the park/out on walks/etc. We have timers on lights in case we'll be out after dark (or during the winter when it gets dark earlier) and a doggy door so they have full run of the house and backyard.

Its just another thing to balance in life. Make sure they're loved, healthy and comfortable - and the same goes for yourself.

The only time this may not be too applicable is for high energy dogs, and that is why I didn't choose that breed. I also did feel a little bad about them being alone, so that's how we have three furry lovebugs. But to be honest, some dogs prefer to be an only dog. They all have very different personalities. :)

My oh wanted a german shepard when we were looking at what puppy to get. He had them as kids and they were so lovely. My auntie used to have a lovely one, so well behaved. Then when the dog died she got another german shepard... and she is the naughtiest thing ever lol. Shes literally destroyed the entire house! She has severe separation anxiety and when her season came it was horrific! Lol! Its put me off ever getting one! xx

Awww! Poor baby! We're getting one to become a personal protection dog. We're spending $2000.00 on him, so he better be good (kidding, of course). :haha:

Dont worry about leaving the puppy, I bought a puppy 2 weeks a go (a staffy) and I started off leaving her just for 30 minutes per day adding on 30 minutes each day, she'll happily be left for upto 3 hours now. I've crate trained her and she just sleeps when I'm out. I leave the radio on for her and she has a teddy in her crate she cuddles, I just make sure she goes to the toilet and has a good play before I go out, my mum has a cockapoo who's 7/8 months old he'll happily left for about 6 hours in his crate xx

We have a lab mix, and we're rescuing a new dog soon. Labs and retrievers are great, but a little big. Spaniels are a great smaller breed. Spitz (jap or german) are gorgeous, and i've seen more of them around lately actually. I know someone with 3 kids under 7 and they're thinking of getting a either a bichon or a westie. Both great dogs too. Maybe you could visit a shelter, and let a dog pick you?

And I wouldn't worry about it being home or being for Christmas. Sounds like you've really thought this through, and you still have another 6 months nearly to keep on thinking, haha.

I just want to add I think it's great that your planning in advance it shows responsibility :) it's not like you've suddenly decided to get a dog and bought one the next day without research, dogs can fit in anyone's life not just those who don't work and spend 24/7 in the house :) I'd love a dog but my house is to small and I don't have a garden for one yet :( when I do I think we'll be looking into getting a Labrador :) good luck in your puppy search x

I dunno why I said German spitz haha it was the Finnish spitz i loved but they all have similarities, my only reason for not getting a rescue dog was dont know what's happened in their past and I thought if got ouoo then it would grow up with my daughter and they would be really close, yeah lm thinking way ahead haha probably would have got one already if wasn't for goin on holiday in Sept x

Thanks louise88 i just thought my daughter loves them so much and I think she would get so much out of us having one and I just want to make sure I've made the right decision first as I want to give a dog a home for life not get one then give it up x

looks like this idea may have to be put on hold as just found out i am going to have to have my kidney removed and operation won't be till towards the end of the year x

been told 6 weeks recovery and won't be able to look after my daughter for about 3 weeks so definitely not a good idea to get a puppy, have to wait and see when operation is x

My personal choice is a dachshund (we have a red haired smooth) but since you like larger dogs a Lab would be a good choice. We have a shepherd/Golden Lab mix.

Woop, woop!! :happydance:

My vote are dachshunds too. We have three little lovies and they are wonderful. <3

Me too! My mum has had 2 daschunds (one passed away last month) and they are such lovely dogs they really are, they are like big dogs trapped in a little dogs body :haha:

I have an amazing dog. Her mom was rescued from a puppy mill so we are not 100% on what her pedigree is her mom is a shih tzu and that's what she looks like. She is amazing with everyone, loves people, babies even. But if you are looking for a big dog that is in the house I would go with a golden retriever, I have never had one personally. But my friend in school raises them, they are great dogs, very social and not as hyper as labs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->