question about babies born early.

Louise

Proud mum to baby Nick
Reaction score
Morning girls.:hi:
I was just wondering at what stage of pregnancy can a baby be born, (whether be early or not), and taken home within 24 hours? For example, my midwife has said to me a few times "lets just get you to 36 weeks, that would make me happy", yet on the other hand, my obstetrician(sp?) said "Just get to 34 weeks first and we'll see...."
So what I was basically wondering is, even if the baby is born early, at what gestation can he be taken home pretty much straight away without any treatment? I know it depends on the child but realistically?

Realisticly it does depend on the baby. You cant really predict how well theyre going to do once out and how well theyre going to feed etc.

Even full term babies may have to stay in if theres feeding probs or jaundice etc...

i think it mainly depends on the weight, tho my daughter was 7lb 14 and she was in scbu for about 3 weeks..

Maddie 6lb 5oz - stayed in

Ellie 5lb 15oz - Was home 7 hours after birth (with jaundice!)

Depends on the baby hun, and also mum

xxx

Alex was born at 36+2 at home - the midwife advised us to go into hospital but we declined. I think if you have them in hospital and they're born early then it would be harder to leave, especially as it's first time round. They wanted us to transfer so they could monitor Alex's feeding. All babies deal with being born early differently, Alex was fine whereas my mum's manager's baby had to be resuscitated at 36 weeks. I would expect that a baby born at 34 weeks would be kept in for a little while.

Depends on the condition and birthweight of the baby. Lung maturity and the ability to control body temperature, blood sugar levels, the ability to feed etc are critical issues, and the hospital will not discharge you if it believes that the baby needs some extra care in hospital. Once a baby reaches 37-weeks, it is considered full term and should have reached full maturity and a healthy birthweight, and should be allowed home within a day or 2 of delivery. But this is not always the case. In general, hospitals like to keep babies in until they reach what would have been full term (37-weeks) So if you have your baby at 36-weeks, there's a chance the baby may be kept in for up to a week, but again, it does depend on the health and condition of the baby.

Quite often with firstbabies they like you to stay a coulple of days until feeding established etc and you are happy with everything.

Quite often with firstbabies they like you to stay a coulple of days until feeding established etc and you are happy with everything.
Oh lovely. :( Along with the fear of sick, I also have one with anything relating to dr's/hospitals etc: In a previous post I asked if it was possibe to discharge yourself, to which Sam (lil_baby_boo) basically said it may not have been the best of idea's. Well my friend discharged herself and took the baby with her- he weighed 10lbs+, she was 42 weeks, got induced, and had to be stitched up at all angles. At one point they were going to give her an emerg section because her baby was not engaged and didnt appear to be turning after she had been induced. Still, they let her go, even with the baby- I think she said that between going into hospital, being induced, and giving birth, she was there for just over 12 hours. To me, that did sound a tad far fetched.

It really depends on how you and baby are doing. If you can go look round the labour ward, SCBU, and post natal ward, it may make you feel more at ease. Both hospitals I went to did hospital tours. Although Alisha was my second we still did the tour 'cos it was a different hossie, but didn't bother with Kayleigh. Unless you or bubs are poorly then you only seee a paediatrician once and that is for babies check prior to you going home. on the ward its justmw and healthcare assistants to make sure you and lo are ok.

Louise I gave birth to Ella at 2.02am (arrived at 1.15am) and was home by around 10am. We had to see the paediatrician for her checkover, he came round at 7am then we were just waiting around for her NHS number before we could leave.
Nobody can make you stay in - it's your choice. If you want to leave you're well within your rights to do so. They didn't even check if Ella had fed, which was really wrong of them as by the time she was around a week old my nipples were shredded. So it is worthwhile making sure you've got the latch etc totally right before you go home.

Louise I gave birth to Ella at 2.02am (arrived at 1.15am) and was home by around 10am. We had to see the paediatrician for her checkover, he came round at 7am then we were just waiting around for her NHS number before we could leave.
Nobody can make you stay in - it's your choice. If you want to leave you're well within your rights to do so. They didn't even check if Ella had fed, which was really wrong of them as by the time she was around a week old my nipples were shredded. So it is worthwhile making sure you've got the latch etc totally right before you go home.
Was she full term?...... kinda wrong that they didnt check up on her feeds.

Ella was full term, she was born at 39+4. I was really anxious to get out of the hospital, but even when I expressed concern that she wasn't latching on they made out that I was just being daft and that I should calm down about her feeding. Noone watched her feed etc. Because Alex was born early at home and we were left to go to hospital under our own steam it was easier to refuse, though we did get several phone calls which I asked DH to deal with. I can't lie, it was stressful with the MW keeping on at me, but staying at home was best for me, Alex and the rest of the family.

Hmmm..Kassidy was 32 wks and 3lbs 11 oz. She had absolutely no problems. She was in regular nursery and treated as a "normal" newborn. The only requirement, because of low birth weight was that she had to gain three ounces in three days consecutively. Sounds easy, but new borns lose weight in the first few days. She dropped to 3-8, then back up and down one or two. lol So, it took 12 days to accomplish. We actually stayed 18 days due to my pre-eclampsia and other issues. Bailey was 4 lbs 15 oz. We came home after three days. That's the general stay for a c-section and I had one with both. There are sooo many factors though. Baby's health, your health, your doctor's mood, hospital policies, etc. No one could believe I was allowed to bring home a 3lb 14oz baby, but we did..with strict instructions and she flourished immediately.

Hmmm..Kassidy was 32 wks and 3lbs 11 oz. She had absolutely no problems. She was in regular nursery and treated as a "normal" newborn. The only requirement, because of low birth weight was that she had to gain three ounces in three days consecutively. Sounds easy, but new borns lose weight in the first few days. She dropped to 3-8, then back up and down one or two. lol So, it took 12 days to accomplish. We actually stayed 18 days due to my pre-eclampsia and other issues. Bailey was 4 lbs 15 oz. We came home after three days. That's the general stay for a c-section and I had one with both. There are sooo many factors though. Baby's health, your health, your doctor's mood, hospital policies, etc. No one could believe I was allowed to bring home a 3lb 14oz baby, but we did..with strict instructions and she flourished immediately.
My friend was telling me last night that a girl she knows has just had a baby, and she only weighed 3lb, too. She also was allowed to bring her home which I thought was kinda weird.
Was ur 32 weeker tubed up to machines, etc:? The thought of that really scares me. I would HATE to see my child in that kind of way, whether it only be for one day or ne hour, I wouldnt be able to stand it.

Thats a hard question to answer. Bethanie was born at 37 weeks and 6 days, yet she had hypoglaecemia and polycythaemia (low blood sugars and her blood was too concentrated basically) so she had to stay in SCBU for a week, when I was expecting to take her home the next day.

We also did a tour of the unit, maternity ward, SCBU etc.. and I saw all the little premature and ill babies and wanted to cry, never did I think my Bethanie would end up there, it's an emotional place to be honest. :(

Edit - Just saw what you said about tubes etc.. Bethanie didn't have loads, but I remember she had one in her nose and I panicked as soon as I arrived, when I got to hold her for only a few minutes I just wanted to cry. We also had to see her having a lot of blood tests and seeing your new babies blood when you just want to take them home is dreadful.

chloe had a tube for bein fed, i learnt how to change em etc, she was also strapped to a few machines, but she was a giant compared to most babies in scbu as she was late, not early, some were just tiny!

I have seen 41 week babies have to stay a day or 2. Really depends on what is going on with them, not when they are born,

chloe had a tube for bein fed, i learnt how to change em etc, she was also strapped to a few machines, but she was a giant compared to most babies in scbu as she was late, not early, some were just tiny!
Yea we saw some tiny ones and it was heartbreaking. The worst thing is them being in the incubators bless them. Sounds like you were involved a fair bit.. I really feel I missed a special time with Bethanie because we were just treated like the neighbours popping round to say hi.. even got told off for cuddling Bethanie once even though she was only still in hospital because she wasn't feeding well. Never heard anything so silly in my life, babies need cuddles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->