question about breastfeeding..

beanzz

Reaction score
Thought it'd make more sense posting this over in this section instead of the pregnancy section :thumbup: ...

Im planning on breastfeeding (or at least giving it a go) but i also want my OH and other family members and friends to be able to join in with the feeding so i was thinking about bottlefeeding with breastmilk.. (this is my first baby btw)

Im just wondering which is the best way to go about it. like, should it be JUST breast for a certain amount of time then introduce the bottled breastmilk or can i express straight away and use both boob and bottle? :shrug: Or is it best to stick to one or the other?

I appreciate all opinions and advice :flow: i know its a little early to be thinking about this but it's been bugging me for ages :dohh:

xxx

I think its best to stick with one or the other?
Im really not sure tho, im breastfeeding my son, hes 9 months old. and i still am.
but he will NOT take a bottle now, so i think if you want to start a bottle. start it earlly

Yes you can express and feed from a bottle, as well as breastfeeding.

Personally I didn't express, I just wanted to breastfeed. But I think the general thoughts is try and keep just breastfeeding for a couple of weeks to make sure that you've established the breastfeeding, and then introduce the expressed milk in a bottle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this of course.

Thanks girls :flower:
I'm just really set on breast feeding as, like they say, breast is best. I just felt bad about my OH not being able to participate as its both of our first child and I want us to go through it all together :)
I don't mind it being just boob for the first few weeks as theres so much more than just the feeding that OH can help with until I introduce the bottled breastmilk :thumbup:

Thanks for replying :flow: xx

For the first six weeks if you want to do part time bottle you should refrain from any bottle use as it can cause nipple confusion. However it's not easy - great if you can get your exclusively breastfed baby to take a bottle, some are easier than others, but my one still puts up a fight at 9 months - if you're in the vicinity they're likely to fuss.
A few people here have exclusively expressed but it's a LOT of hard work. It's also easier to get your baby to sleep and to soothe with the boob so if you can exclusively breastfeed rather than exclusively express I'd recommend it. :) Good luck!

You can express and you can BF. It's completely up to you.

I breastfed from day one and I expressed and gave the bottle when he was 3 days old and continued to do that (along w/ breastfeeding). Personally, if you're not self conscious about BFing in front of other people and you are only introducing a bottle because you want your family members to give him a bottle, I wouldn't start expressing in the beginning unless absolutely necessary. Like, with me.. I had to return to work and school so I knew I would have to introduce a bottle, if you can just breastfeed rather than express. If you do express one of the most important things is to let your baby latch on first and feed, than you can express afterwards. What I would do is put LO on the breast for 15 minutes each, then express for 15 minutes. I built up a lot of supply and it really helped for when people would give him bottles. In the beginning you need to build your supply, so breastfeeding and than expressing is probably the best decision you can make. Most breastfed babies should feed in the beginning about 8-10 times, so if you expressed in the morning, afternoon and at nighttime that should be OK. But if someone is giving him a bottle, make sure you either just expressed or that you will express at the same time. Your body will only create milk when you're expressing or when you're feeding your LO, so don't fall behind on it otherwise your supply will drop. As your LO gets older than it will be easier to determine how many times you need to express but there isn't anything wrong w/ doing both at the same time! Do whatever you feel most comfortable. If you need any advice don't hesitate to ask me :D I expressed for 12 months and breastfed for 16 months!

For the first six weeks if you want to do part time bottle you should refrain from any bottle use as it can cause nipple confusion. However it's not easy - great if you can get your exclusively breastfed baby to take a bottle, some are easier than others, but my one still puts up a fight at 9 months - if you're in the vicinity they're likely to fuss.
A few people here have exclusively expressed but it's a LOT of hard work. It's also easier to get your baby to sleep and to soothe with the boob so if you can exclusively breastfeed rather than exclusively express I'd recommend it. :) Good luck!

Thank you :) I spose I'm just gonna have to see whether my LO is up to having both, it's not the end of the world of OH can't feed him I spose :flower:

I breastfed from day one and I expressed and gave the bottle when he was 3 days old and continued to do that (along w/ breastfeeding). Personally, if you're not self conscious about BFing in front of other people and you are only introducing a bottle because you want your family members to give him a bottle, I wouldn't start expressing in the beginning unless absolutely necessary. Like, with me.. I had to return to work and school so I knew I would have to introduce a bottle, if you can just breastfeed rather than express. If you do express one of the most important things is to let your baby latch on first and feed, than you can express afterwards. What I would do is put LO on the breast for 15 minutes each, then express for 15 minutes. I built up a lot of supply and it really helped for when people would give him bottles. In the beginning you need to build your supply, so breastfeeding and than expressing is probably the best decision you can make. Most breastfed babies should feed in the beginning about 8-10 times, so if you expressed in the morning, afternoon and at nighttime that should be OK. But if someone is giving him a bottle, make sure you either just expressed or that you will express at the same time. Your body will only create milk when you're expressing or when you're feeding your LO, so don't fall behind on it otherwise your supply will drop. As your LO gets older than it will be easier to determine how many times you need to express but there isn't anything wrong w/ doing both at the same time! Do whatever you feel most comfortable. If you need any advice don't hesitate to ask me :D I expressed for 12 months and breastfed for 16 months!

Thank you so much this was really helpful :D my mind can be at rest about it now until LO is here :haha: my mum JUST breastfed me and JUST formula fed my 3 little brothers so I couldn't ask her for her opinion on it :dohh: she just told me from her experience babies sleep better and longer when formula fed but that's just her experience, could of been that I was just an awkward child! :haha: I've got a few months left to go but if you're still on here when I have my LO (which I hope you are!) then i'll deffo look you up if I need some advise! :thumbup:

Just do what I do, I breast feed majority of the time, but always have one or two bottles of expressed so OH can have a go, normally when I'm really stressed or asleep :)

People do breastfeed and express, but it's really hard work.

We exclusively breastfed for six months gave expressed milk twice, then she started having formula while at nursery around seven months. It was difficult finding a teat she'd latch to. You should use a bottle designed for breast babies, Breastflow is the best design, but Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature works for us :thumbup:
You should wait until breastfeeding is established before introducing a bottle, to stop confusion when latching, this is usually around a month or so.

I think you'd be best trying to go completely breastfed, and then expressing if you need to go out or something. It's a lot of work if it isn't necessary :flower:

Nope, you can do both if you want! :)
I did boob for a couple of days while I was in the hospital, and then when I got home I was thinking maybe I wasn't producing enough, or maybe Dallas wasn't getting enough (because you can't tell really) also, he was hurting my nipples a lot. So I switched to bottles (breast milk) on the third day and everything is going really well. I did have to get these pills to make me milk supply come in a little more though. But anyways, lol. You can do whatever you want really, one or the other, switch whenever you want or both. Good luck! :)
You are doing the best thing for your LO.

Personally, I wouldn't introduce a bottle for 4-6 weeks, to get bf and milk supply established.
I pumped from when my milk came in though, to help my poor boobs and to help with supply. And you can build up a nice stash in the freezer :) good luck with whatever you decide!

Thank you so much this was really helpful :D my mind can be at rest about it now until LO is here :haha: my mum JUST breastfed me and JUST formula fed my 3 little brothers so I couldn't ask her for her opinion on it :dohh: she just told me from her experience babies sleep better and longer when formula fed but that's just her experience, could of been that I was just an awkward child! :haha: I've got a few months left to go but if you're still on here when I have my LO (which I hope you are!) then i'll deffo look you up if I need some advise! :thumbup:

Awww, yeah that's definitely myth although I know a lot of people who believe that formula fed babies sleep longer. Just do whatever you want to do, you have a few months left anyways to make that decision. I'm sure I'll be around. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

My mom is a lactation consultant, she recommends people don't choose to bottle & BF their babies so the partners have a turn. Often times enough it will just be the mother who ends up feeding the baby and when you bottle feed you run the risk of "screwing" with your supply or causing nipple confusion.. which eventually leads to no more milk and a FF baby. I know people do it.. so it must work for some but this is what the "expert" has to say on the matter. (this is why I keep her around, free advice :haha:)

your partner can still "help" feeding, my OH knows there might be days in the beginning where all I do is BF, sleep, eat and shower and he can help take the baby so I can do those things

i think every1 has more or less answered the question, but just a note, Iv always exclusivly Bf and Amari slept threw from 5 weeks, so its defo a myth about formula fed babies sleeping more :winkwink:

i think every1 has more or less answered the question, but just a note, Iv always exclusivly Bf and Amari slept threw from 5 weeks, so its defo a myth about formula fed babies sleeping more :winkwink:

I did reckon so hehe. Hoping my baby sleeps a decent amount at night with breast milk too! :haha: Although napping through the day doesnt sound bad as I'll be off work for months :)

Thanks for everyone's comments! :flower:
Even if I exclusively breastfeed I'll have to either stop or introduce bottled breast milk when I go back to work so its not just for OH to join in but that is the main reason so as I said, If it doesn't work out doing both it's not the end of the world :)

I'll just have to keep feeding/pumping all day so I don't run out of milk whatever I end up doing :haha:

It's really up to you but its not easy to express. It's hard work and you may find you never have time to do it. I was like you and wanted others to be able to but in the end i just did what was best for bub and i exclusively breast feed.

It definitely is, Noah was formula fed and didn't sleep through til 14 months :hissy:

expressing is a pain in the butt! you will soon realise hun :haha:
i was recommended not to introduce a bottle for ten weeks to make sure my supply was sroted and to avoid nipple confusion, i waited that long but she didnt want anything to do with it :/ but it was easier for me to exclusively breastfeed anyways and the novelty of feeding her soon wore off for FOB when he realised he's have to be up in the night!
there are plenty of other ways for your OH to be involved, everyone seems to get caught up with the feeding but there's cuddling, nappies, bathtime, baby massage, playtime etc etc which he can do! :thumbup:

expressing is a pain in the butt! you will soon realise hun :haha:
i was recommended not to introduce a bottle for ten weeks to make sure my supply was sroted and to avoid nipple confusion, i waited that long but she didnt want anything to do with it :/ but it was easier for me to exclusively breastfeed anyways and the novelty of feeding her soon wore off for FOB when he realised he's have to be up in the night!
there are plenty of other ways for your OH to be involved, everyone seems to get caught up with the feeding but there's cuddling, nappies, bathtime, baby massage, playtime etc etc which he can do! :thumbup:

I know, im just also worried about when i go back to work. LO wont be able to come with me cos i work in retail so wont i need to try expressing then anyway? Or should i be weening him off boob by that point anyway? :shrug: Im taking 39 weeks off and working right up until my due date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->