Question about Qualitative & Quantitative blood tests

Smallmcfry

Reaction score
I went to my university's clinic yesterday and my nurse practitioner ordered a qualitative blood test because that one just says yes or no to the hcg hormone. But how much does a qualitative blood test actually pick up on to determine yes. Some places I read it is not any more sensitive than an HPT.

That just makes me feel like Monday will just be a negative result since my current HPT's are super faint. .. Should I have asked for a quantitative?

I'm thinking if this one comes up negative on Monday and if still no AF on the 20th, I may ask for the quantitative.

I'm going insane not knowing. I have no idea how I got through this stage last time.

lol I never asked about my levels when I was pregnant with my first.

I have a history of getting negative qualitative tests even with positive digis so now I always ask for quantitative too.

Qualitative hCG tests are a simple 'yes/no' pregnancy test and the threshold for the 'yes' is a bit on the higher end (I want to say 100mIU but don't quote me on that...) so it is very possible to get a false negative with that test. I had it happen with DS. My dr ordered a qualitative test on CD28 as no AF and I had mega symptoms. It came back negative so I kept going about my days until I realized I still hadn't gotten AF and I was now two weeks late. Decided to test with an hpt just to prove to myself it was a long, funky cycle and to my utter astonishment, I got a blazingly obvious bfp. DS will be 6 this winter. The quantitative hCG test tells you exactly what your hCG levels are and if you get a repeat in 2-3 days, you'll be able to see how well that number is rising.

It depends on the clinic. Mine counts quals positive at <10miu. Some places are higher.

You can always ask them when they give you results. I typically just ask from a quant up front because of my history.

Fx!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->