Question for those who have cloth Diapered

Kristalebear1

<3 Isobel's Mommy <3
Reaction score
I just ordered 30 pockets+58 inserts, have 3 covers, and 6 prefolds.... Do I need anymore? So far Ive spent probably $240 on my stash and I know I could use more prefolds probably, do I need anymore covers or pockets/inserts?

I just want to make sure I am done and dont want to spend more than $60 to finish my stash. In your personal opinions/experiance what am I lacking/need more of?

How often do you plan to do diaper laundry? I haven't started yet, but from everything I've read, you're in great shape for every other day laundry. I was told by several people for the newborn phase to have around 25-30 prefolds and 6-8 covers if that's what we're using exclusively. You have more than enough there for 30 diaper changes. You could add more prefolds and still be fine with the covers you have, if you think you might want to use those more often. If you want to stretch laundry to every three days, I'd figure on 15 diapers per day - it's not like you can't wash early if you realize you misjudged.

Are you good on wipes, snappis, etc? Cloth safe diaper cream? Wet bags?

That sounds like a great stash :). In the early days my DD got through roughly 10 nappies a day, so 30 would be plenty with drying time.

That is plenty for an every other day or so wash routine. Average with my oldest I changed 12 diapers per 24 hours. I had a stash of 25ish diapers, and did laundry every other day. Just be aware your pockets are not likely to fit for a few weeks. You'll want to do newborn disposable diapers, or invest in some newborn cloth diapers as well. Most affordable newborn cloth option would be newborn prefolds, at least 2 dozen. I diapered my first in disposables until he fit into the one sized pockets.

This time around I have 33 one sized pockets for baby, and around 60 inserts for doubling, etc at night. I will also be using bummis newborn prefolds until the one sized diapers fit. I am getting 2 bummis newborn starter packs, which amounts to 24 newborn prefolds and 4 newborn covers.

Sounds like you are all set! I should add that I never cloth diaper until all the meconium is gone! So maybe think about some sposies to see you through the hospital phase or first week whilst you find your feet!
I like to take my own to the hospital as they usually have size 0s and my kids are 9-10lbers! Also you can then choose your own organic or Eco branding if that is important to you.
Good luck! I think you sound super organised and will do great !

I think it's hard to know for new born stage I was easily changing my daughter 24 times a day. She would poo every single hour if not more! X

Yeah, newborn stage... you'll be changing diapers A LOT, but that will calm down a good bit.
Sounds like you have plenty of pocket/inserts though. I've never used prefolds so not really sure if you have enough there or not.

Sounds like you are all set! I should add that I never cloth diaper until all the meconium is gone! So maybe think about some sposies to see you through the hospital phase or first week whilst you find your feet!
I like to take my own to the hospital as they usually have size 0s and my kids are 9-10lbers! Also you can then choose your own organic or Eco branding if that is important to you.

I've heard the meconium only sticks around for a couple days - should I anticipate it taking longer? I'm not starting cloth til the meconium is gone, but I haven't bought any disposables yet.

Meconium usually only takes a few days to go. But new born babies especially breastfed babies tend to poo an awful awful lot everything seems to go straight through them. Well it did with my daughter anyway xx

I may buy a pack of disposables, just in case the meconium sticks around or we go home earlier than I expect. It can't hurt to have one pack around.

I have one pack of disposables bought for the hospital. She will be going home in cloth!

I have 17 newborn Fuzzibunz and 24 pockets for later on. They say 8lbs but the newborns go to 12lbs so we will stay with them as long as we can.

Newborns who are BF tend to poo at every feed or every second feed for the first bit.

IMO, that's plenty for one baby! I had about that much and was diapering two with it. I personally wouldn't buy anymore

I think you are all set. I had about 20 newborn AIO and 30 one size AIO with extra pocket for insert if needed. I have about 15 inserts as I only need when he is sleeping. I did use disposables till the umbilical cord fell off but that was my preference.

Do you have a wet bag as well? I would suggest a couple. Good luck!

I've heard the meconium only sticks around for a couple days - should I anticipate it taking longer? I'm not starting cloth til the meconium is gone, but I haven't bought any disposables yet.
My kids have only had meconium while we used up the hospital sposies. By the time we left, it was pretty much gone. (That said, you can make microfleece liners for almost nothing, a $3 half yard of microfleece from Joann's will buy you enough liners to throw them away and save your diapers from meconium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->