Question on baby rice

Connah'sMommy

Reaction score
My LO is draining 6oz bottles so im moving him onto 7oz as of tomorow,he has his feeds every 3 hours on the dot and my HV mentioned that it wouldnt hurt to give baby rice...also MIL and my mum have said it would be a good idea to give it a lunch time.

Im a little reluctant though.

Connah is a 3 months and 1 week...

What age did you give your LO baby rice? at what point in the day did you give it? and also how long did you give it before weaning onto purees etc?

Any advice would be great,thanks x

I personally wouldn't as your not meant to give any kind of solids before 17 weeks.

My MIL tried pushing weaning but I'm not budging as I don't feel like he's ready.

Are you FF? If so could you try hungry baby formula?

ETA - Only wrote the above as you said your reluctant, hope my reply doesnt sound funny to you or anything x

I wouldn't do it, but that's me, I know some ladies on here think it's ok. But the current recommendation is 6mo. Here is a couple of good article you can read before starting it just so you have all the info
https://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

I personally wouldn't as your not meant to give any kind of solids before 17 weeks.

My MIL tried pushing weaning but I'm not budging as I don't feel like he's ready.

Are you FF? If so could you try hungry baby formula?

ETA - Only wrote the above as you said your reluctant, hope my reply doesnt sound funny to you or anything x

no it didnt sound funny at all hun,i wanted honest opinions and i am reluctant to give any solids until he is ready for them.

He is on hungry baby milk already.

I think ill try upping the amount of formula first before giving solids as i really didnt intend on weaning this early.

thanks for the advice xxx

I started at 16 weeks off my own back.
First go was 1/2 a teaspoon baby rice with 11 spoons of her milk! So really hardly any rice at all! Moved onto jars first week but now using Ellas tubes as they are the smoothest and easier to keep and she loves them. the jars are quite thick I find and wasteful.
At the clinic they said to think about weaning her and she was 17 weeks, and admitted I had started a week beforehand.
She's come on leaps and bounds this past fortnight and looking forward to another great weight gain.
This past fortnight has been alot less stressful for us both. SHe loves her food and her bottle taking is getting better. She only had 6 today. It was getting to be 8 or 9 regular and in drips and drabs - all over the place with feeding and weight, like 3oz every hour for 4 hours or 2oz in 5 hours, no consistancy at all. We've been going on like that since 8 weeks when she got her jabs.
I think you'll know in yourself when it's the right time - I took the chance on 16 weeks and the clinic suggested 17 weeks.
The only downside is I don't think you'll find much support for weaning early.
Good luck x

3-4 months babies get REALLY hungry, this isn't because they need food IMO. If you can ride the storm and hold out untill 6 months then that would be best x

I agree with Toria. I wouldn't say that the only downside is the lack of support, there are proven risks to doing it before 6mo :)

strange place to have a :)!

It's actually people going on about the ''risks'' that makes the lack of support prominent here.
We've all read the same thing. it's not like a select few know stuff n one else knows.
It's about informed desicians and doing whats best for your own and letting people get on with it.

There's nothing wrong with a friendly :) on the end of a post. Not everyone is here to be blunt?

Anyway, it is about informed decisions, and that's why we're giving our views too. So the OP can make her own informed decision ;)

It's actually people going on about the ''risks'' that makes the lack of support prominent here.
We've all read the same thing. it's not like a select few know stuff n one else knows.
It's about informed desicians and doing whats best for your own and letting people get on with it.

Your right, it's about being informed. Not everyone does know the true risks. I was one of them with my first son. I had recommendations from family, friends and even the dr to do it....had no clue of the risks there were. I put a :) so you wouldn't think I was being rude, but making a point, there ARE risks that need to be taken into consideration....not having support (which there are many ladies on here that do it early I can think of many off the top of my head that give advice for anyone who is actually doing it, she hasn't made the decision yet) is not the only downside to starting food this early. Yes it's a decision up to every parent but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't push for what is proven the safest instead of just ignoring the facts. Some people just plain don't know and there is nothing wrong with offering that information just in case.

So where do you go to discuss early weaning then? Comfortably?
Because I don't feel I can here without being questioned about it and as I am onto weaning there isnt really anyother part of the forum to go to.

I think it's time to give up the forum :thumbup:

If you've chosen to wean early then that's absolutely fine, but this is a forum. People are going to have opinions. Not everyone is going to agree with what you're doing, but there are plenty of people on this forum who do agree with you too. Why do you feel you can't post? :wacko:

And I didn't see anyone question you untill you picked up on someone elses post?

No one said anything bad about YOU doing it...all I said was that was not the only downside, other things need to be known before making that decision. You seem very touchy about your decision...you were in another thread too....I think you just need to calm down a bit, no one is saying you did something wrong.

Your right, it's about being informed. Not everyone does know the true risks. I was one of them with my first son. I had recommendations from family, friends and even the dr to do it....had no clue of the risks there were. I put a :) so you wouldn't think I was being rude, but making a point, there ARE risks that need to be taken into consideration....not having support (which there are many ladies on here that do it early I can think of many off the top of my head that give advice for anyone who is actually doing it, she hasn't made the decision yet) is not the only downside to starting food this early. Yes it's a decision up to every parent but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't push for what is proven the safest instead of just ignoring the facts. Some people just plain don't know and there is nothing wrong with offering that information just in case.

i totally agre if it wasnt for here i may have been weaning right now as i have had outside pressures to do so. allergies are major in my family and i may never have realised the potential damage involved in weaning early. but i made my OWN to informed decision based on facts i was given. from this forum i was inspired to do loads of research to come to a conclusion. it isnt about lack of support for early weaning but quite the opposite. ultimately it is your decision and if you are easily swayed into one decision straight away by a few forum posts then you probably shouldn't be reading them.

if you google anything then you can find a positive or negative answer to what you are looking for. Based on the two viewpoints you then make your own opinion and decision on that but really you should be doing that rather than looking for all agreeable support in one place, especially as everybody is different. there are loads of people here have weaned early and I am sure if they spoke up you would get some very positive response.

My LO is draining 6oz bottles so im moving him onto 7oz as of tomorow,he has his feeds every 3 hours on the dot and my HV mentioned that it wouldnt hurt to give baby rice...also MIL and my mum have said it would be a good idea to give it a lunch time.

Im a little reluctant though.

Connah is a 3 months and 1 week...

What age did you give your LO baby rice? at what point in the day did you give it? and also how long did you give it before weaning onto purees etc?

Any advice would be great,thanks x

in answer to your question if you are reluctant do loads if research and make up your own mind. the fact that you asre reluctant already mens that you need more information, the only way to truly get that is by reading not going on what others say. just because someone else thinks it is right ir wrong wont help you, you need to be sure yourself, support is ok but makibg the right decision is up to you.

there a few earky weaning threads here if you go through the older posts, im sure they can help you. also maybe you could PM some people who you see that weaned early then you will get the answers you need.

Just wants to share the moment I start weaning my baby

when she is 3 months old, her baby sitter asked me to buy food for my baby...what a shock that I got as I know that the right time for weaning should be after 6 months...then I just ignore her..

I told her that 3 months is too early for baby's stomach to accept anything else except milk...thank god, she never asked me to give food till my baby reach age 6 months, I prepare myself rice porridge for my baby when she is 5months and 2 weeks old, but my baby herself refused to accept food.

Have to remember that every baby is different, your baby might be can accept food in early age, but we as mother should control it to a small amount to prevent obesity...

Thanks for all the advice,i think my mind was pretty well made up from the start but now i know he isnt ready.

I know there are a few people who weaned early but as i said,i dont feel totally comfortable so wont be doing it...

Didnt want to turn this thread into a debate about early weaning but i do agree that if you feel there is lack of support for it then PMing the ones who have is the best idea :D

Hope the little argument above wont carry on?!

It was really just a genuine question as i have a very porky baby who we just can fill at the moment! lol

Thanks again for the help x

Thanks for all the advice,i think my mind was pretty well made up from the start but now i know he isnt ready.

I know there are a few people who weaned early but as i said,i dont feel totally comfortable so wont be doing it...

Didnt want to turn this thread into a debate about early weaning but i do agree that if you feel there is lack of support for it then PMing the ones who have is the best idea :D

It was really just a genuine question as i have a very porky baby who we just can fill at the moment! lol

I'm glad you didn't give in if its not what you want.
and I agree with Torias earlier post, babys get very hungry around 3/4 months due to a huge growth spurt. Halen has just stopped feeding ever hour after doing so for the past 3 weeks!

I'm glad you didn't give in if its not what you want.
and I agree with Torias earlier post, babys get very hungry around 3/4 months due to a huge growth spurt. Halen has just stopped feeding ever hour after doing so for the past 3 weeks!

thanks,he is on 7oz feeds today and still going every 3 hours but at least he is a little more settled.

im glad i didnt give in too,i wanted to do BLW anyway at about 5 month + x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"