Questions about expressing

gemxgem

Reaction score
Hi

I am wanting to start expressing my milk so that my partner can share feeds.

I have an electric breast pump. I'm confused, do I pump in between feeds? He feeds every 3 hours so would I pump in between that? Also, do I pump off both breasts? Also, how much do I need to pump off? How much does baby usually drink?

The midwife told me to express into ice trays and then defrost one ice cube, this doesn't seem very much?

I find I get more if I express whilst I feed but my lo only ever took one side otherwise I would wait 10-20 mins after a feed and express both sides. How much they eat depends on age. At 4 months my lo takes 4oz every two hours.

Hi there! I would start expressing in the morning when you have more milk. After baby's first feed express as much as you can - I usually empty my breasts. Don't worry, they will fill up by the next feed! This is a good way to boost your supply too. Milk is better from the fridge, and can stay there for a while, so I would pump every day and on days you don't give LO a bottle freeze that (I usually freeze in 3 or 4 oz lots) but otherwise give LO 'fresh' milk.

If you want more than the occasional bottle you can pump after each feed x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->