Questions about ultrasounds and HCG levels

Megs555

Reaction score
Hi there, I found out i was pregnant in March and I had an early ultrasound to find out dates as i don't have a last period date, I went off the pill and my periods have been all over the place.

So the ultrasound a couple weeks ago showed two sacs with nothing else yet and my hcg levels were at 38,000 and I went back for more blood work 2 days later and they were 35,000. So i had to go back a weeks later and they were 21,000 and the doc said they are going down very slow which is strange so i went for another ultrasound yesterday because they think I'm miscarrying. They saw 1 sac with the fetus inside measuring at about 6 weeks with no heartbeat and the gestational sac was an irregular shape, I read that it can still be too early and that since i am having a vanishing twin syndrome that could explain the slow drop in HCG. But the ultrasound tech said she doesn't think ill see a heart beat even if i come back in a week or two..

I am a mess and I have had to deal with a possible miscarriage now for a couple weeks and I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with vanishing twin syndrome, dropping hcg that turned out to have a normal pregnancy? And if anyone wasn't able to see the heart beat at 6 weeks and saw it later?

Yes that would be a vanishing twin and happens to most twin pregnancies. Most times even at 6 weeks a hb isnt always there. Often its there by 7 or 8 weeks. The slow hcg drop is def because of the loss of the twin.

orionfox thank you! I am thinking the same thing, I am going to see my doctor on monday, he thinks I'm miscarrying too but i haven't had any bleeding or cramping.. I am so stressed out about all of this and I know hcg levels are different for each person and each pregnancy. Im so glad to hear someone else agrees with the fact that they may be falling due to the vanishing twin syndrome, I have read a lot about it and thats one of the symptoms is falling hcg.

I am demanding another ultrasound in a couple weeks if i don't start bleeding before then and if still no heart beat or growth or bleeding i may agree to a dnc but until then i will let nature takes its course.

The doctors have me believing its a miscarrige, but after seeing a fetus and that the other twin is gone it explains so much in my eyes and i have hope again, I just hope not to be crushed again :(

Good luck to you! I've no experience with vanishing twin but sounds a reasonable explanation. Hope all goes well xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->