Quick Question!

Chel

Reaction score
Its New Years eve and I'd planned to have a few drinks tonight quietly at home to celebrate. I did my best to express as much milk as possible today and managed to only get 100mls.

Jasper is 6 weeks old, how much milk does he need for a feed of breast milk? Is 100mls enough for his next feed, or should I be careful and maybe cap my night at two drinks so I'm able to top him up on the breast if need be?

I personally never took the risk but I would nurse him up until bedtime then have your drinks. Does he still wake up at nght? I would probably do no more than 2 drinks, you don't hav to pump and dump or anything but it needs time to work through your system, I think its 3hrs for every drink? But I might be wrong, I can look it up for you though.

Here you go

Guidelines
Current research says that occasional use of alcohol (1-2 drinks) is not harmful to the nursing baby. The American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Drugs classifies alcohol (ethanol) as a “Maternal Medication Usually Compatible With Breastfeeding.”
Many experts recommend against drinking more than 1-2 drinks per week.
It is recommended that nursing moms avoid breastfeeding during and for 2-3 hours after drinking (Hale 2002).
There is no need to pump & dump milk after drinking alcohol, other than for mom's comfort -- pumping & dumping does not speed the elimination of alcohol from the milk.
Alcohol does not increase milk production, and has been shown to inhibit let-down and decrease milk production (see below).
If you're away from your baby, try to pump as often as baby usually nurses (this is to maintain milk supply, not because of the alcohol). At the very least, pump or hand express whenever you feel uncomfortably full - this will help you to avoid plugged ducts and mastitis.

And there is more info on this page
https://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

Bah, I ended up having 1 glass of champagne, got a thumping headache and went to bed at 5 passed midnight, just long enough to see the fireworks from my balcony and then crawl into bed... ready to breastfeed baby 4 hours later.

Thanks heaps for the advice though! Definately put it into the memory bank for future reference... and I've also decided to 'collect' some breast milk in the freezer so I know I'll never get caught out in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->