Quitting smoking

MackMomma8

Reaction score
Hey ladies... DH and I have decided that we are going to quit smoking after we get back from our trip to Vegas in 2 weeks. Yes, I know, neither of us should have ever started in the first place... but we both know that quitting is something we need to do for more reasons than just TTC.

I've never tried to quit before though... any of you other ladies trying to quit a bad habit before you TTC? I know I can do it, especially if DH is quitting with me. We have another couple who is going to try to quit with us, too.

Any suggestions?

I'm really trying to cut back on drinking. I don't have a drinking problem, really, I just love grabbing a drink when we're at dinner or cracking open a bottle of wine and splitting it with hubby while watching a movie. And I know, it's best for me to cut back, stop altogether when we start TTC. But it's just habit now - he grabs a bottle of wine and goes, "Care to share?"

And all I can think is, uh duh! lol.

So yeah, it's slow going, but I have time. Good luck with quitting, though! YOU CAN DO IT! :D And like you said, with 3 other people to support you, that'll be so great. Just ignore the haters - I know a friend of mine who recently quit had to delete people from her FB because they'd be like, "OH you'll be back to it in a month or two." Really, really awful.

Best thing I can say is surround yourself with positive people and be positive, because you can do it. :D

ive never smoke nore drunk so i guess i dont really have any bad habits to give up, but i am trying to lose weight which reguires the much needed will power :haha: good luck with it though, here in the UK the local doctors help to quit smoking with patches and gum x

ive never smoke nore drunk so i guess i dont really have any bad habits to give up, but i am trying to lose weight which reguires the much needed will power :haha: good luck with it though, here in the UK the local doctors help to quit smoking with patches and gum x

Here in the US, you're on your own, unless you have the $$ and insurance to go see a doc. :( I know there are patches and gum and whatever, but each type of quit-smoking aid is like $50 a pop! I know that's way less than what we'd spend on cigarettes in the long run, but plunking down that $100+ all at once for something like that just irks me.

i want to quit smoking before ttc too...and i cant even begin to imagine how hard its going to be. i plan to cut down slowly, 1 at a time....it will take a while but i think with will power its the best way xx

I'm also in the UK and got my stuff on prescription so it was a lot cheaper than in the US, but, I was on the highest pateches for a month, and also Lozenges, gum and the inhaler thing. In the 2nd month I was on the middle patches and only the inhaler thing, and the 3rd month I didn't quite complete the lowest patches, by a few days, but I was cured! And I knew it! That was 4 yrs 2 months ago! I am so proud of myself! I was spending Approx £30 per week on the evil ciggies - sometimes more! How much are tabs in the US for a pack of 20 say? In the UK they're over £6! Not sure ont he exchange rate but that's over $10 I think! It's definately worth doing, but in my opinion you have to really really want to do it! It would have been so easy in that 1st month to cave and have a cigarette, but as each day went by, I felt myself getting stronger! It's all I thought about for ages after quitting too! The smoking ban in public places came in at the 5 month mark, and this helped me so so much!

Lots of luck to you and your OH xxx

MissKM - We should be quit-smoking buddies :) We've decided we'd like to be smoke-free by the 4th of July.... we can do it!!!

i want it all - I pay about $4.50 USD for a pack of 20 here. We generally buy them in cartons, which is a bit cheaper, it averages out to about $4.25 a pack then. Either way, we each smoke about a pack a day, so say that's $10 a day... 7 days a week... 365 days a year... it adds up to be a lot, fast. :( Congrats to you on being smoke-free for over 4 years!!! That's a huge accomplishment!!

You can do it! Over $3500 in a yr!! But wow! It's so cheap to smoke there! How much is petrol?! Lol!

Gasoline is $3.49/gallon where I live... and I live in one of the cheapest cost-of-living states in the US. I have a friend in California who is paying $4.49 - and that's the cheapest station within 10 miles of her house!

MissKM - We should be quit-smoking buddies :) We've decided we'd like to be smoke-free by the 4th of July.... we can do it!!!

lol id love a quit smoking buddy, especially how all my friends smoke so its going to be hard...my OH doesnt smoke so at least that will make it a little easier...ive decided to get my exams over with 1st though (i dont think i could give up with my exams getting closer, im stressed already :haha: )...and our big move in june/july!! (its getting so close its scary lol) then ill have about a year to give up so ive been smoke free a good few months before we ttc xx

Gasoline is $3.49/gallon where I live... and I live in one of the cheapest cost-of-living states in the US. I have a friend in California who is paying $4.49 - and that's the cheapest station within 10 miles of her house!

I'd love to pay that amount! Not perfect exchange rate but, in North East England - where it's supposed to be cheaper than South, we're paying $9.50 per gallon!:cry:

I'd love to pay that amount! Not perfect exchange rate but, in North East England - where it's supposed to be cheaper than South, we're paying $9.50 per gallon!:cry:

:cry: is right!! HOLY SMOKES!!! If gas here in the US starts to get around $5/gal, people freak out. They line up at gas stations and stuff. Weirdos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->