Random child tax credits payment?

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
Last week i rang the tax office up to inform them that my income has changed from last year. Last year hubby got around 13,000 and I got almost 10,000. This year hubby's income hasn't changed but mine has gone down by about 5,000 as I'm on maternity pay until November and then not returning to work. The woman on the phone said my tax credits should go up but to wait for my awards notification thingy. I usually get paid around 100 every 4 weeks sometime in the last week of the month. I checked my bank this morning and there is a random payment of £6.50 off child tax credits. Anyone got a clue what this means?

On the tax calculator it says our payments should go up from 25 per week to 59 per week so now I'm baffled and panicking incase the calculator told me wrong :(

It means they have adjusted your award and a letter is on it's way to let you know

You can call them if you want and they will tell your what your payments will be if you don't want to wait for your letter :)

Okay thank you! Judging by the amount it doesn't seem like they will of adjusted my payments from 25pw to 59pw does it? :(

I think ill just wait for the letter, the last time I rang them it took me just shy of an hour to get through. Not good when you have to run around after a LO and don't have a cordless phone lol

Ignore the amount as it isn't really relevant, you can never second guess them on it

I once got a random payment of £28 only to get a letter 2 days later saying I had been overpaid - they were giving me £28 (not on payment date) then when my payment date came round they were taking back over £150 due to an overpayment :dohh: you couldn't make that up eh :dohh:

Oh god no way! You've got me worried now incase I owe them :( when you use the tax credits calculator, do you find it to be accurate?

Oh god no way! You've got me worried now incase I owe them :( when you use the tax credits calculator, do you find it to be accurate?

Everytime i have used it the damn thing has been wrong!!!

When i complained about it over the phone they just said well its an estimate and doesnt mean thats exactly what you will get!!

But £20 of a difference a week worse off is some difference to be classing it as anywhere near an estimate!

We are left with an extremely tight budget now!

I would phone them as soon as you get a chance, was advised there mail can take 10 days to arrive, in reality most of the time its nearer 2 weeks!!

Seems royal mail must do special rates for them on snail mail!!:wacko:

Oh god don't worry, I owed them because the was a mix up in childcare and my claim had gone to compliance team

I was just meaning to show that the amount isn't reflective of the changes, usually these one off payments are really random and don't mean a thing, other than you know your claim has been dealt with

I would call them and ask what your next payment date and amount it, they will confirm your usually date and tell you how much, rather than sitting worrying

I never really use the calculator

Okay thanks ladies :) will try and give them a call today. Really hoping my payments do go up or I'm completely stuffed :( really don't want to have to return to work... 2.5-3hrs journey with a baby isn't good! X

Received my tax award notification thingy today. My payments are going up to £42 per week for the remainder of this tax year and then £59 per week in the next tax year. Not too sure why its going to be higher next year when our income will be the same. Going to give them a ring on Monday to clarify whether or not I need to deduct the first £100 per week from my maternity pay. Pain in the backside they are!

Received my tax award notification thingy today. My payments are going up to £42 per week for the remainder of this tax year and then £59 per week in the next tax year. Not too sure why its going to be higher next year when our income will be the same. Going to give them a ring on Monday to clarify whether or not I need to deduct the first £100 per week from my maternity pay. Pain in the backside they are!

They are never ever straight forward, if there is an arse from elbow way to do it they will find it!!
:shrug:

The calculator told me £50 a week when in fact we get £47 a month....

Wait, whats this about deducting first £100?? I never did this!

Wait, whats this about deducting first £100?? I never did this!

They don't include the first £100 per week as maternity pay. I get £136 a week and the HMRC only include £36 per week as income. Just checked my bank online and they have back paid me almost £450. Yippee :)

Rung tax credits and yes they had no idea I was on maternity leave and so have not reduced it by £100 a week. Plus they had a few other things wrong meaning they had our joint income listed as a good 5-6k above what it is.

The woman reckons our £40 a month payment should be closer to £200 a month!

Thank you to those who mentioned it :)

Ahh that's brilliant :) I had my amended notification last week and we get 250 a month now and were only getting 100 before. They really should make it more clear about the maternity pay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->