Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

Noelle, I have a question for you. Are you still on sleep meds? I was barely on them for the past month (like I would take 1/2 Ativan every 4 days), but the recent bad nights messed me up so 4 nights ago I took a full pill....now for the past 3 nights I find myself waking up every 2-3 hours which has nothing to do with Sofia :(

I'm scared of taking more meds and getting addicted and never being able to get off them. My DH says 1/2 pill every other night for now should be ok until Sofia's back to sttn (which she's getting close to)...but I'm sooo scared yet I need the sleep. I had 5 hours of broken sleep last night and have been up since 3:30 am!

Hi hi, yes I am. I actually just went to a follow up appointment with my doctor today. She recommended I continue taking them for a minimum of 6 more months with her preference being a year. Her reasoning was that a lack of sleep is a serious trigger for PND and I'm sleeping pretty well right now.

You may want to speak with your doctor about a different medication. At first I took Klonopin, which is very similar to Ativan (anti-anxiety) to sleep. It worked like a charm, but it is very habit forming and not really suited to every day use. I now take Trazadone and it works great! The drug was originally used for depression, but now it's basically used off-label for insomnia. It's a popular choice before something like Ativan/Klonopin or serious sleep medications like Lunesta or Ambien because it's not habit forming. You do have to reduce it gradually, but it doesn't make you "high" in any way at all. I still wake when Charlotte does too. I'm not out of it.

If your doctor doesn't really take you seriously, you may want to see your OB or a psychiatrist. Postpartum insomina is SOOO common, but sometimes medical professionals aren't super familiar with it and don't know quite how to treat it. Here's a good reference that helped me:

https://voices.yahoo.com/post-partum-insomnia-one-moms-experience-5947966.html?cat=25

Be well and take care of yourself!

The woman who runs my baby group has a story about how she had had a lot of orange juice the day her eldest first slept 7 hours, and she called her husband at work the next morning with an urgent request for orange juice... :p

Noelle - thank u so much! Just called my doc and got an appt. I'm pleased to hear there are meds that are not as addictive.

Re - ppl bragging on FB: I have two "friends" that do it all the time! There's a new status every single day I kid you not. Of course I always see the status when I'v had a bad night so I only feel worse :(

Charlie :hugs: starting to be more consistent at naptime helped us a lot with the kind of issues you are describing. Mine was a little younger at the time and didn't like to sleep in his bassinet during the day, so I let him sleep in his bouncy chair, but always there. I tried to be home for every nap for a few days and did a wind down and a brief routine (white noise, Twinkle Twinkle) and after several days he started napping much more predictably. Then it was much easier to get him from the bouncy chair into his bed once we had the routine. It did take a week or two though so don't give up after just a few days. Mine is the same in that he does really well with his bedtime routine and is super alert all day, so I think it really helps him to have a cue that it's time to rest.

we had a sttn again :) she slept from 6:30 pm to 6:30 am exactly. She would have slept more but she was stuck in her crib again. She took a little nap as I fed her this morning and I think tomorrow if she does this I'll move her to see if she sleeps more.

I slept fine too but had my half Ativan as well as Nyquil (I've come down with a pretty bad cold again). Hoping you ladies all had a great night :)

Yay Shadowy Lady!

Great night here (STTN 7pm-6:30am) and a new front tooth this morning! I slept okay, but feel utterly exhausted for some reason.

Yay for STTN!! :happydance:

We had kind of a weird night, but it was very obviously related to physical development stuff (he's learning to butt shuffle), so I'm not too concerned about it. Also, for some reason he decided to take his 5-hour stretch during a time when I was also asleep, which turned out pretty ok for me...

Lo didn't sleep well last night up at 12 for a feed an again at 4 he didn't take much food yesterday he as got to the stage of not wanting me to feed him he wants to do it himself now.

Well last night i had a much needed break which helped me get started with some serious nap business!! last night she went to bed as usual at 7pm, woke at 10.30 for a feed, which i was glad of as i knew it would be more than likely that she'd go until the morning without a feed so i could have a rest as OH was going to be in with her. And that was the case, she had her morning feed at 9am having woken at 8.30. OH got to see what my problem is during the night with the dummy and restlessness, which i think is good for him to see so he will be just as keen as me to get rid of it!

Regarding naps, i went for the 1st one at 10.30, i did a much shortened version of her night time routine, it took 50 minutes to get her to sleep!!! but it was worth it as she napped for 1 hour and 20 minutes in her cot! :) so she was up at 12.40 so was looking at her second nap at 2.30 to 3pm. Unfortunately this got a bit messed up as i had popped out with her and planned on getting home for 2ish for her 2nd nap but got delayed, however she fell asleep in her carrier (for the 1st time in 3 months!!!) and we managed to get her room ready and put her in her cot when we got home. It was later than it should have been at 3.15pm she napped for 30 minutes, so not too bad for a start. Think the nap must have exhilarated S as she rolled from tummy to back for the first time today!! of course i had my back turned when she did it!! but she gave me an encore later with her nana and my OH :)

Tomorrow will be tricky as it is her christening, so i am hoping to try with the morning nap again, like this morning, but we will be out until 5pm. The same again on Sunday as having a family do, so will focus on getting that morning nap at home for the next 2 days as that's all i can do.

Thank you ladies for your tips, i think i am going to concentrate on the naps before i remove the dummy, as want a rested baby when i deal with that rather than a chronically overtired one!!

Good to see lots of babies STTN here, gives me hope :)

Sounds like it's going well charlie! It will take some time, so no need to worry about the 50 minutes. It's so funny that she fell asleep in the carrier for the first time in months :haha:

We had a sttn 7.30-7am here! I think I have noticed now that he seems to sleep later in the morning if his afternoon nap is shorter. Could he have been under tired all this time to wake at 6 so often? Hmm now I've worked it out watch him wake up early tomorrow despite me capping his pm nap!

We had a sttn 7.30-7am here! I think I have noticed now that he seems to sleep later in the morning if his afternoon nap is shorter. Could he have been under tired all this time to wake at 6 so often? Hmm now I've worked it out watch him wake up early tomorrow despite me capping his pm nap!

Are you sure it wasn't because your nephew pushed him in his walker? :winkwink:

It's great to see all these STTNs! Hopefully Elsie will get there someday, though I will admit I'm starting to lose hope again lol. Most nights she only has one waking, though, and it's after at least a 7 hour stretch so I can't complain (which is why I haven't been on this thread much, usually I am here to complain :haha:). Last night she was up a bunch but I think it was teething-related, and also more fun developmental stuff. Hopefully tonight will be better.

bananz, she will sleep through the night by the time she's five... I promise :rofl:

Just to be clear, Charlotte isn't perfect now. She will STTN for like a week and then we'll have night wakings. I am happy with this too, which is why I haven't had many personal updates lately. I know how bad it can be. Honestly, I cannot even conceive of a baby that sleeps through the night without a peep every night.

Are you sure it wasn't because your nephew pushed him in his walker? :winkwink:

It's great to see all these STTNs! Hopefully Elsie will get there someday, though I will admit I'm starting to lose hope again lol. Most nights she only has one waking, though, and it's after at least a 7 hour stretch so I can't complain (which is why I haven't been on this thread much, usually I am here to complain :haha:). Last night she was up a bunch but I think it was teething-related, and also more fun developmental stuff. Hopefully tonight will be better.

LOL that really made me giggle! Quite possibly!!

Wow, Charlie, that's a lot happening at once! Congrats on the rolling and on her 5 month birthday! :happydance: And her christening tomorrow!

I think 50 minutes for the first attempt with your new routine is very promising, actually. I remember a couple times it took me about an hour and a half to get mine down for naps after I started trying to implement more of a routine. Keep going, when you can, and she'll get it eventually!

bananz, she will sleep through the night by the time she's five... I promise :rofl:

Just to be clear, Charlotte isn't perfect now. She will STTN for like a week and then we'll have night wakings. I am happy with this too, which is why I haven't had many personal updates lately. I know how bad it can be. Honestly, I cannot even conceive of a baby that sleeps through the night without a peep every night.

Yup we get 'peeps' most nights too. But I still describe it as sttn as usually I don't have to get up, it's just enough to make me stir slightly then he settles.

STTN still feels quite a long way off here. But at least we are down to two or three wakings which seems manageable in comparison to how she used to be.

Great things on here today! I really can't fathom no peeps for 12 hours either! It would freak me out. I'd be pretty happy with just 1/2 wake ups!

Charlie - sounds great! Good progress:)

Nothing new here, except I did my first back carry with a woven wrap today! Not sleep related but fun nonetheless :)

Waaaaaa back to being up for 2 hours in the middle of the night (3 am to 5 am). Why is my baby sooooo inconsistent???

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->