Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

now you guys are making me think....when Sofia is moaning and I go to her and move her, maybe she's still asleep? And by going in there I'm waking her up? Hard to see in the monitor coz she's always facing away :/ The timing makes sense too - close to 4 am when their sleep is light!!

I'm bad for point 2. What doesn't help is Finlay can be quite a light sleeper and will sit up and crawl when he's pretty much still asleep. It's so hard knowing when to leave them and when to go in. He certainly whimpers and cries in his sleep. I've taken to leaving the nightlight on his monitor on, so I can check from the doorway.

Seaweed - in my experience OHs tend to have a completely different pov about how nights and sleeping went. It so funny how you are both there and yet have different conclusions! The latest nugget of insight from my husband is that apparently 'Im having a lot more sleep than I realise(!)' I may now get longer bedtime hours but months of broken sleep really can add up. Also my working hours aren't like his. I'm on duty 6am-8pm and on call 8pm-6am every day! It's not like I get timeout usually, however this wkend I'm on a hen do. I'm a bit apprehensive about leaving him but its also nice to switch the mum practical brain off for a few days.

Noelle did you get your wkend away?

SL, if it's normal for her to be moaning at that time then it does seem possible that she's still asleep or would settle on her own...but the way you described it made it sound like it's unusual for her? :shrug: I think you can probably trust your gut on this one!

NotNic, totally, there have been several mornings when, after 4 or 5 wakings, DH has said something like "So, pretty good night last night, huh?" Maybe for HIM it was! :haha:

Curious about something: our doctor recommended sleep training sometime in the next month or two because it will be an especially good time. I know I've encountered a few reasons why that might be the case, but the one he gave was that when they can pull to stand it gets much harder to sleep train. For those with babies who can pull to stand, have you found that to be the case? I thought any physical milestone was likely to be equally disruptive...

Curious about something: our doctor recommended sleep training sometime in the next month or two because it will be an especially good time. I know I've encountered a few reasons why that might be the case, but the one he gave was that when they can pull to stand it gets much harder to sleep train. For those with babies who can pull to stand, have you found that to be the case? I thought any physical milestone was likely to be equally disruptive...

By the time my LO started pulling herself up in her crib she'd already been doing it elsewhere for a while and she knew how to get herself down, so it didn't have a huge impact on her sleep :shrug:

Clara isn't pulling to stand yet but my understanding of the reasoning behind what your doctor said is that a baby who has never learned to put themselves to sleep doesn't know that they need to lie down to sleep. If they are already pulling to stand, then as soon as you put them in the cot they will tend to immediately pull themselves up. This obviously makes it harder for them to learn how to fall asleep as it's going to be much harder to fall asleep standing up. So you have a choice of leaving them to try and figure out that they need to lie down or going in and lying them down every time (they will usually get straight back up again). So I think it's specifically in relation to teaching self-settling that your doctor was referring to.

Another good night here Daniel went sleep at 8 heard a little moan around 12 an 4 and up at 6 just wish I could have slept last night

We had a better night too. She woke up around 5am but we let her be and she fell asleep or became quiet within 20 mins. She ended up sleeping till 8:40 am which is very late for her...

Vikki- Congrats on a great night! i'm with you....I wish I could sleep like Sofia....I was up at 3:30 am anticipating her waking up :(

Yawn, I'm tired today girls! Charlotte is cutting four teeth as confirmed by our pediatrician. Poor kid. She was up from 11pm to 1am last night. She kept falling asleep and waking shortly after.

I have a mom friend who is very competitive. I told her we had a rough night this morning (our girls our daycare buddies) and she said, "Oh, I don't even know what I would do if we had a rough night! My LO has been sleeping sooo well for the past two months". Why does everything have to be a competition! I was just looking for a little sympathy :haha: I always feel like a shitty person when I have these thoughts (because I hate judgement), but it's hard for me not to wish some crappy nights on her now!

Tell her that you don't mind the sleepless nights because the smartest kids are always the worst sleepers. Just kidding obviously! It does annoy me when everything is a competition, my SIL is a bit like that and to be honest I just avoid discussing the children at all with her (which is tricky because it's about the only thing we have in common!).

Tell her that you don't mind the sleepless nights because the smartest kids are always the worst sleepers. Just kidding obviously! It does annoy me when everything is a competition, my SIL is a bit like that and to be honest I just avoid discussing the children at all with her (which is tricky because it's about the only thing we have in common!).

You might be kidding, but I'm totally telling her that :rofl:

After being thoroughly sick of Facebook posts about 12 hour stretches a friend posted: Im so grateful that my baby loves spending time with me enough to wake up every hour last night!

Ha!

Do it! Who posts about how their baby is sleeping on facebook?! Get a life :rofl:

Better night here too!! Some trouble in the early morning but then he slept until 7:15, which I think is probably a first...ever.

But then I went and let him fall off a table and hit his head :cry: poor boy! The doctor said he looks ok fortunately!

Noelle, clearly we don't have the same facebook friends...my news feed is full of people broadcasting to the world about their baby's sleep! :dohh:

Really?! That's nuts!!!

Glad you had a good night though, despite your bragging friends LOL

Another question. What do you all think of waking up LO from an afternoon nap that's too late? I'm wondering if I should wake Munchkin when we get home if he falls asleep on the way back from daycare. I let him finish that nap naturally last night (so 5-5:30 or a bit later) and he was pretty full of beans at 7 PM bedtime. (On the other hand, if going to bed slightly later somehow magically resulted in the late wake up, that's not a bad outcome! :haha:)

Haha, I've had FB friends bragging about their babies' sleep too. The "My 7-week-old FINALLY just STTN!! Can't believe I've survived this long lol" status update was probably the worst. Several weeks later she posted about her baby being up every hour and I couldn't help feeling happy about it. Then I gave her some advice and within a week her baby was back to sleeping through! Totally not fair, I wish my advice would work for my own kid :growlmad:

I think more common than bragging about sleep is complaining about what to me is a really really good night...e.g. "My 4 month old woke up to feed at 2 AM! SO EXHAUSTED :("

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->