Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

Waaaaaa back to being up for 2 hours in the middle of the night (3 am to 5 am). Why is my baby sooooo inconsistent???

I often wonder this too. I haven't come up with any answer other than "she's a baby" :haha: And that's after quite a bit of research LOL

Haven't posted in here for a while but things are no better with me. Tried cc, CIO, all sorts! I had two hours sleep last night. :cry:

Haven't posted in here for a while but things are no better with me. Tried cc, CIO, all sorts! I had two hours sleep last night. :cry:

Aww. So sorry. Tell me about the sleep training you tried and why it didn't work.

Aww. So sorry. Tell me about the sleep training you tried and why it didn't work.

Ah noelle you've commented on my posts before trying to help me :)

First we tried gradual retreat. Us being in the room with her just winds her up even more, so that and cc checking on her don't help. She self settles for bed an naps fine so I know she can self settle.
It's when she wakes at night. She usually does about 5 hours. Wakes for a feed- and will go back down fine usually. But after this she can wake between 1-5 times and not get back to sleep. I'm 99% certain she just wants to comfort suck on me.
Last night she woke at 1 for a feed. Put her bk down and after 30 mins she was awake again. We left her to CIO (I have a video monitor) and she was a pain til 5 am when I caved and fed her again to see if that would help. It didn't.
She would occasionally doze off for 20 mins before waking up again xx

I'm sorry hun. This is probably unhelpful , but sometimes the best medicine is truly time.

Erghh we did not have a great night. LO didn't go to sleep until 8pm and then woke up a bit before 4am, her usual wakeup time. I've been working yet again on gently eliminating that last feeding and had gotten it down to only 3 minutes so I thought that it was time to just get rid of it altogether.

After letting her fuss for 10 minutes I went in to pat her. Well 40 minutes and 3,000 pats later (yes I count, lol) I finally tried to creep away and guess what? She immediately stood up and started crying :growlmad: So I chased her around the crib for a while trying to get her to lie down, and when she finally seemed like she was going to stay down I left.

Five minutes later she was up and crying again and by that point I was so tired and frustrated I decided to just leave her to it. She cried off and on for 20 minutes, then finally fell asleep for 10 minutes, and then got up and cried intermittently until 6:15 when I finally just gave up and got her up for the day.

I know that I just need to grow a pair and stick to a plan here but she has this amazing ability to make me second-guess every decision I make. It's like, "Oh you're not feeding me until 6am? Well how about 5:55am? Hmm, what if I wake up at 5:30am now, that's pretty close isn't it?" And then suddenly we're at 4am feedings again!

Gaiagirl, how'd F like the back carry? We tried once and it freaked Munchkin out! Maybe I did it wrong, or he could tell I was nervous or something.

Ugh not a good night at all here either :sleep: I'm actually not at all sure what's going on. Bedtime was normal then he woke at 10, which is unusual...then woke at 12:30 to poop :shock: and didn't really settle well after that. He hasn't pooped at night since he was tiny. After that, it was like he thought it was morning. He would be up for 30-45 minutes and then sleep for less than an hour. Perfectly cheerful, squealing and babbling away. I basically ignored him until the fussing picked up, then went in to nurse him...repeat. I think we got a couple hours between 5 and 7 so I can't really remember all of it. :coffee: Although when DH changed him this morning he said he thinks he pooped again during the night and we missed it. :dohh:

The poop is getting a little out of control. He's had more than usual for the past week or so but never at night. I'd already called the clinic about it and they said it wasn't enough to worry about without other symptoms. My best guess is teething??? Because that would cause both night wakings and diarrhea, right? But wouldn't he also be waking in pain?

He's also babbling up a storm, butt shuffling, and very nearly rolling (for the first time :blush:) so all of that is probably keeping him up as well.

So do you guys have any tips for moving him into the crib?? With all the moving around he's doing, it's really starting to be urgent. I'm pretty scared of that...although, as DH pointed out, maybe it's just as well if his sleep is crap already... :sleep: :sleep: (I probably will regret that last part tomorrow.)

Shadowy, I hear you! My LO is sooo inconsistent! 2 awesome nights, 3 ok ones and then 2 rough ones all in a week. Sigh....

Seaweed - He liked it! Was squirmy after a little bit as he always gets in carriers but luckily stayed still while doing the wrapping which was so freaky!

Crazy about the poop! I think we had a little last night but that's probably because he woke up at 3:30 acting like it was 7:30! Arg I hate MOTN parties!!!! I can handle his frequent wakings because we bedshare, but when he doesn't quickly go back to sleep (or stay asleep since most of his wakings are partial) it is infuriating! Lol.

I knew we were in for it last night when he had a late nap and late bedtime (my fault). And yup, he was restless alllll night!

He also took longer naps yesterday and I'm seriously starting to wonder if that makes his sleep worse! His two awesome nights were when he had 3/4 very short 40min naps. Most of which were in the car which is usually lower quality sleep!

eeek last night seemed to have been a bad one for most babies :( what's going on in this thread???

I have a doc appt on Tuesday so I'll have Sofia checked out at the same time. I just don't understand why she wakes up and won't go back down. She's cranky and tired today of course. She had a one hour nap an hour after she woke up and she's on her second nap now for the past 1.5 hours :/

We're having a horrible evening here too so far. Clara woke up after 45 minutes which she hasn't done for ages and she just wouldn't resettle at all and I ended up feeding her. I just feel totally demoralized that we went through all that crying and her sleep is still so rubbish. I just don't understand why she's waking - her daytime schedule is good, she's totally happy during the day, she doesn't seem to be teething or anything. I don't know how to respond to her when she wakes either. I'm not willing to continue letting her cry but if I go back to feeding her every time she wakes then will she gradually go back to waking up every hour again? Just feeling so depressed about it to be honest.

Well I am just putting last night down as a write off! Clara went to bed at 7 and woke up at 7.45, 9.30, 12, 1.30, 4, 5.30, and then I had to wake her at 7.30 to start the day. I managed to resettle her without feeding at about half of the wake-ups but she just never seemed to go into a deep sleep until after the 5.30 wake-up when she slept soundly until I woke her at 7.30. There has to be something wrong like teething or something, surely. The only thing is that during the day she is in great form and shows no sign of being in any discomfort. I honestly don't know what to do now, just hoping for a better night tonight.

Oh no, crap nights! Sorry girls.

Polaris, it may have just been a bad night. It happens. C sleeps pretty well these days, but we've still had some shitty nights even after a normal day. Hang in there.

Thought I'd update you all on our crazy weekend with S. well I have been pretty strict with morning nap and even got my OH in on getting S to nap and he's doing great at sticking to plan so far. So yesterday her morning nap was 50 minutes, the rest of the day was trickier what with her christening and Lots of family wanting cuddles which really wore her out, poor baby :( but I did hide her away in a quiet corner in her buggy for an hour long nap in the afternoon. Bedtime took a lot longer for her to settle, but after her day that was as expected, she woke at 10 and 5 am for feeds, a few times with the dummy for OH. Today she napped 1 and a half hours :)' so nice, now off for some more family cuddles!

Sorry about all the rubbish nights, Polaris yours sounds awful, it must be teething with all those wake ups?

Thought I'd update you all on our crazy weekend with S. well I have been pretty strict with morning nap and even got my OH in on getting S to nap and he's doing great at sticking to plan so far. So yesterday her morning nap was 50 minutes, the rest of the day was trickier what with her christening and Lots of family wanting cuddles which really wore her out, poor baby :( but I did hide her away in a quiet corner in her buggy for an hour long nap in the afternoon. Bedtime took a lot longer for her to settle, but after her day that was as expected, she woke at 10 and 5 am for feeds, a few times with the dummy for OH. Today she napped 1 and a half hours :)' so nice, now off for some more family cuddles!

Sorry about all the rubbish nights, Polaris yours sounds awful, it must be teething with all those wake ups?

Polaris - eeeee I'm so sorry :( u think it may have been an off night?

Sofia slept through again last night this time 13 hours straight!(6:30pm to 7:30am). While I'm happy and rested, I think she's gotta be the most yo-yo'ing baby on here!! I just don't understand how one night is so shitty and the next is so great....

Well we've had an odd time - jack sttn until 6.10am and I heard him but didn't go in. The next thing I knew he'd slept until 8.30 am! This he has never ever done since the day he was born. Sooo no amount of trying made him have a morning nap, he was just full of the joys of spring! So he ended up falling asleep in the car at 1pm. I managed to get him from his seat into his cot (!!) and he's asleep there now. By the time he wakes up it may well be a similar time to when he'd wake (ish) from his usual pm nap. Soo he seems to have decided to have a one nap day. How random. I go back to work in 6 weeks and obv 8.30am will be no good! Plus it's confused the rest of the day! So I'll be waking him from now on at 7.30. If I ever get that luxury - I'm sure tomorrow he'll have reverted back to his usual early wakings hehe

Also - my friends keep banging on about how their babies sleep became terrible when they started crawling. Jack is getting pretty close now (!) and I feel like they're almost using it as a 'haha he won't sleep well then!' thing against me! Thing is, 3 of them still have night feeds and one (11 months) is still rocked to sleep. All this is fine and works for them! But I'm hoping that maybe we won't have all the same sleep issues when he crawls? Pretty please!

We had a brief visit to urgent care last night when LO woke up screaming and wouldn't nurse. They said it sounds like a stomach bug. I still think it's teething, but I'm just glad it's nothing serious. After that the night was bad but not as bad as I feared. I thought he didn't poop but DH said in the morning that he did and I missed it :( sorry buddy. He had another MOTN party so I'm starting to think MOTN party = poop. At least this week.

Anyway, hoping he's on the way to getting better. He's racking up more and more sleep deprivation and I'd really like that to end before we attempt another night in the crib. He won't nap there for more than one cycle, so yesterday DH had to drive him around in the afternoon to give him a third nap.

Polaris, SL, glad you had better nights last night! :hugs: Boo, how old are they supposed to be when they move to one nap? Anyway, it sounds like it worked well for you to go with it just for the one time! :thumbup:

Seaweed - we had MOTN due to pooping for like a week when Sofia was 6 months old. It will pass :) glad to hear your LO is ok...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->