Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

He had a nap this morning 9:45 till 11 then he just had another nap 2:25 till 3:15 do you reckon 7:15 bedtime?

Oh yes, that's perfect - I'd probably even do somewhere between 6:30pm and 7pm.

Melly, I've done that :nope: even though LO has had nearly 8 hour stretches, I never have, even when we were going to bed at the same time... :hugs:

Seaweed, we get the 45 minute thing pretty often unfortunately. Sometimes it's overtired, sometimes I think it's dreaming (or that's what my pediatrician says) and sometimes teething. I try not to stress about it too much. The sleep coach I know said it does pass.

Is she also really hard to settle when she wakes at that time? We've had early evening wakings before but not like this, where he won't nurse and it takes an hour before he's asleep again.

I think if you can stick with it LO will be fine. Like I always say, they're adaptable!

Supposing he does what he did last time and just won't sleep in it for more than ten minutes...would you just keep resettling him and putting him down there anyway? All night if necessary? At some point I start worrying that the lack of sleep is doing more harm than good...I think we gave up at midnight last time.

Seaweed, we get the 45 minute thing pretty often unfortunately. Sometimes it's overtired, sometimes I think it's dreaming (or that's what my pediatrician says) and sometimes teething. I try not to stress about it too much. The sleep coach I know said it does pass.

Is she also really hard to settle when she wakes at that time? We've had early evening wakings before but not like this, where he won't nurse and it takes an hour before he's asleep again.

I think if you can stick with it LO will be fine. Like I always say, they're adaptable!

Supposing he does what he did last time and just won't sleep in it for more than ten minutes...would you just keep resettling him and putting him down there anyway? All night if necessary? At some point I start worrying that the lack of sleep is doing more harm than good...I think we gave up at midnight last time.

Thankfully she does put herself back to sleep within minutes. How long is the wake time between the last nap and bedtime? Perhaps LO is overtired?

Another bedtime nightmare here, she woke from her nap at 2.30, I tried for a third nap at 4.30 because she already seemed tired at that stage but she wouldn't sleep, got her into bed by six and she cried and crawled around the cot for 45 minutes before finally going to sleep at 6.45. I have a feeling she will be waking up again after 45 minutes because she was WAY over-tired.

Recently Clara is preferring to sleep on her tummy and doesn't really want to be on her back. That's fine by me, but the problem is that when she's on her tummy she seems compelled to do push-ups and crawl around in circles. She is really not great at self-settling on her tummy even though she prefers to sleep that way. Has anyone else been through this, I'm guessing it is just a phase. I guess some of our disturbed sleep at the moment could be related to crawling because she is very very close to being able to crawl properly.

Noelle - sorry about the crap night. How many teeth are coming at the same time? Are you giving her Advil at the start of the night too?

Melly - I do that quite often. I'm getting better at sleeping at the same time as baby but it's a hit and miss.

Bananaz - sounds to me that Elsie is doing better. I think in your shoes I would just give in the early bf'ing if it means I get a bit more sleep.

Polaris - OMG we're in the exact same boat! She wants to sleep on her tummy yet she can't help but trying to crawl or do push ups in her sleep. I wish I knew how to get her to stop.

We had a semi-decent night. Sofia slept from 6:30 pm till 4:30 am but then again we had the "I'm tired and whiney but can't sleep" marathon till around 5:30 am. Srsly, it's like every other night we go through this! I made a mistake of going in and see if she wants to feed after 30 mins but she then started to scream :( She finally settled on her own around 5:30 am and slept till close to 9 am :/

I still got decent sleep coz I went to bed at 9 pm and managed to sleep until she woke up at 4:30 am and another 2 hours after that. I feel like I come to this thread and repeat the same problem, lol! My baby is awake early mornings for 1-2 hours every other night...wtf for???

Noelle, I think the last wake time yesterday was about 3 hours? Something like that. A little longer than usual for him but not much.

Polaris, we have had a very minor version of what it sounds like you are experiencing with the crawling. In the past week or two before bedtime LO has occasionally scooted himself away from the boob, and then rooted around for it in a way that makes it clear he's not doing it on purpose. I'm sure the crawling is really disruptive to your LO's sleep. I hope it is over soon. :hugs:

Polaris, we went through that phase! It will pass. I'm sure you know that, but sometimes it helps to hear it from someone else I think.

Shadowy Lady, I just had a thought... I think Sofia might be getting too much night sleep. I wouldn't be letting her sleep until 9am. Even if she's restless, I'd get her up at 7am and proceed with your day as normal. If her body gets used to making up lost sleep from long night wakings in the early morning, she may continue to do it.

Gosh so much to read through on here. I go away one weekend... :) From what I've sort of picked up there are lots of pickly behaviour. Naughty babies! Hope that things get back on track very soon.

I've discovered that F's early starts have ruined me! I went on a hen weekend this weekend to a house in a National Park with zero network coverage. The first night I was there we stayed up until 2ish , having a reasonable amount to drink - cocktails etc. Certainly tipsy but not enough to need anything more than a glass of water the next day. I woke up at 7.20am. By 7.45am I couldnt pretend to doze any longer and I was downstairs doing the dishwasher and tidying up for nearly an hour before any of the other girls surfaced. The next night, again I went to bed around 2am, but was shattered. I woke up at 6!!! I made myself stay in bed because quite frankly who knows when I might ever get to sleep past 8am again but I was the 5th girl down at 8.30 (two never even went to bed). I just couldn't lull in bed. Am I ever going to get and ENJOY a lie in again?!

I think that's the problem Noelle. If Finlay sleeps anywhere close to 7am I feel like skipping! :D

Seaweed - We have the 45 min wake up EVERY NIGHT seriously. Except for two random nights a few weeks ago, after which I analyzed everything to figure out why and there was no rhyme or reason. He doesn't wake up crying, just wakes up as if it were a nap. 9/10 times I can just get him back to sleep, but sometimes he will refuse until later.

I'm hoping he grows out of it!

Well it's 12.35am. Lo went to bed at 8 and woke up at 11. I fed her then but she's spent the last 1 1/2 hours crying. She's currently comfort sucking, I couldn't bear her crying any longer :(

jeez noelle that is a ton of teeth!

Hadley's sleep was horrendous last night. I was actually crying because I was so tired and she wouldn't go to sleep and then kept waking up.

I know she is teething because she's drooling 100x more than usual, she was doing a weird thing with her tongue and also biting.

I can't see anything yet but I think it might be more bottom teeth.

I had a horrible toothache last night, it was storming and extremely windy and noisy, I think I got like 3-4 hours of sleep.

I can't take it anymore! but at the same time can't do the CIO, I know that pick up put down doesn't work for her and CC seems to make her more mad

:(

Lo is improving so much since the dummy as gone. Last night was 7:30 till 5am when he woke at 5 I ignored him a bit as he sounded still tired he kept going quiet but wouldn't go back sleep so I got up with him at 5:50 but he as seemed tired ever since an now at 7:30 he's falling asleep would you maybe try a bedtime of around 7 tonight

Well now I feel awful. We had a horrendous night. I only got three hours sleep but this morning lo has a temp of 38.3 and a cough. She's pulled her ears a couple of times so think she may have an ear infection. How bad do I feel now! :(

OK, so this morning Clara woke at 6.20 a.m. which is very early for her, so all her naps have been pushed earlier. She had her first nap 8.30 to 10, and her second nap 12.30 and still sleeping at 1.45. But she's obviously going to be up by 2 or 2.30 at the latest. So what do I do? It seems like she needs three naps today but she hasn't had three naps for about three or four weeks. I tried to get her to take a cat-nap yesterday for similar reasons but without success. I'm wondering now if some of her crap sleep has been because she moved to two naps too early so we are stuck in some horrible nap transition limbo.

What would you do in this situation? Try and get her to take a third nap? Try for a super-early bedtime?

So sorry for the rough nights ladies :hugs: We had one too. Charlotte seemed to wake up every 10 minutes between 10pm and midnight! I am so exhausted. I guess it must be teething and I think she's also constipated. She just acted like she couldn't get comfortable. As awful as it sounds, I was about ready to let her CIO because nothing I was doing was helping at all, ugh! Of course I didn't do that and eventually she did go to sleep.

Vikki, I am thrilled to hear that getting rid of the dummy helped so much. I suspected it would :)

Polaris, around that age a third nap became nearly impossible for us too. I'd just do a super early bedtime. If she wakes at 2pm, I'd put her down at 5:30pm or 6pm. I've found that Charlotte makes up a lack of daytime sleep overnight, so the early bedtime usually doesn't result in an earlier wake-up.

OH! And Charlotte's daycare buddy's mom, who I have become friends with, was complaining about how tired she was because she had to get up last night and pump. Her daughter STTN without a peep for months. I wanted to smack her, although I like her very much and would never do that :haha: Some people don't know how good they've got it. Cue world's smallest violen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->