Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

Wait, Vicki doesn't your LO sleep 12 hours frequently!? Lol

He as the last two weeks slept 12 hours 3 times and most nights we are down to one wake up now. Much better than the hourly wake ups we have had since Xmas :)

Ahhhhhhh ok so you are my inspiration! Lol. Hope to get there soon :)

We had a dummy problem he would wake up for it about 10 times a night he's never been a great sleeper so once a night it heaven compared to what we were having fingers crossed for u Hun :) I know how hard it is coping on no sleep as I run my own business as well lo comes with me an somedays I just felt like curling up under my desk lol

I am beginning to think that some of Clara's wakings must be due to teething pain. I gave her Nurofen tonight because she couldn't seem to settle at bedtime even though I could see she was trying to get to sleep. And although I did hear her stirring at 45 minutes, so far she hasn't woken up! I am really reluctant to give pain meds because she actually shows NO symptoms of teething during the day (except for chewing on everything but that's just constant regardless). However I did give her Nurofen one night last week and she slept from 8 p.m. right through till 2 a.m. and had a feed and back to sleep until 6 a.m.!! Which is an amazingly good night for us! So I will be really interested to see how tonight goes. Do other people give pain meds regularly? I have no problem giving them if they are clearly needed but surely if her teeth were hurting her she would be at least mildly cranky during the day or show some teething signs? Or is it possible to teethe only at night???

Mellyboo :hugs: I totally know that feeling of questioning yourself and wondering what you are doing wrong. But honestly I have two children who have both been problematic in regard to sleep but in totally different ways. Babies are just different and some are just naturally good sleepers and some are not. Also what works like a charm with one baby may not work at all with another, as I have found numerous times with my two. What is your schedule for her at the moment? I find with Clara that if she is eye-rubbing/yawning then I have actually already left it too late and she won't settle easily. I just go by the clock now and it has really solved our napping issues (touch wood!!). Night-times are another story mind you! At your LO's age, I was trying to keep Clara up too long because she didn't really show tired signs and I had to reduce her awake-times right down in order to get her napping properly.

Noelle, yay for a lie-in until 7 a.m.!! I love the pic of Charlotte in your avatar by the way.

Socity - yes sleep deprivation makes me super irritable. I end up losing the plot with my three year old over something really silly and then feeling terrible about it. And I honestly feel murderous towards OH at times, e.g. this morning he commented that Clara "had a really good night, didn't she". Err, no, she was awake as often as usual, what you really mean is you had a really good night's sleep! I should just laugh it off but honestly I get so mad!

Lots of :hugs: :hugs: all around, especially to Mellyboo! I'm sorry you are feeling so stuck right now. Please don't blame yourself. Some babies just make it harder for us to know how to help them sleep enough. You're clearly concerned about your LO and trying to be the best mama you can. Things will get better. I wish I had some more specific suggestions!

We had a pretty bad night last night :sleep: I was disappointed, because yesterday was a PERFECT two-nap day...3/3/3.5 hr wake times, 1 hr 40 mins in the morning and then 45 mins in the afternoon, and NO fighting either of them :happydance: but it seems like it just wasn't enough yet. Or something. In any case, he was up every hour to hour and a half between 11 and 4:30, and he was very hard to resettle each time. It seemed maybe gross motor related, because he couldn't lie still at all when I put him down. I don't know :shrug: I'm just going to call it a random bad night and try to forget about it! I don't think I did anything wrong.

Bananaz, thank you for your tip about putting him down earlier after nursing :thumbup: sadly it didn't work for us quite as you suggested, but it did prompt me to experiment with changing the timing, and I think we've found something that works well. He gets really mad if I take him off when his sucking slows down, but if I wait for him to let go on his own and then immediately transfer to the crib, he's awake but drowsy enough to settle, and he doesn't seem upset about being woken up. So thank you! Crossing my fingers that it continues to work well!

I give my lo a small dose of calpol before bed some nights when his cheeks are burning an he Is drooling I can't say I have noticed it help with his sleeping xx

Seaweed eater - I know that feeling of disappointment when the whole day has gone so smoothly and then the night is a disaster! Clara's daytime sleep is actually really good now and every single night I put her to bed convinced that tonight she will actually sleep properly. Which unfortunately always turns out to be wishful thinking. There doesn't seem to be any direct correlation between what sort of day we have and what sort of night we have.

Clara is the easiest baby in the world during the day, about one thousand times easier and more laid-back than DS, which is why I can never understand why she is such an awful sleeper! It just doesn't make any sense.

Vikki, that is the thing, I wouldn't mind giving medication if she had visible teething symptoms like flushed cheeks and drooling. But she doesn't. The only symptom she has is being unable to settle to sleep and this kind of whiny cry that may or may not indicate discomfort/pain. I don't think she's in agony but maybe it's more of a niggly pain that just won't let her settle? She hasn't woken up yet this evening which is extremely unusual for her! Also my toddler had a no nap day and so has been fast asleep since 7.30. I am really really enjoying a child free evening for a change!!

Finlay regularly has calpol and nurofen. I would say at least half the week he has at least one daily dose. The dose on the bottles are far less than would actually be harmful and the difference is very noticeable. I don't give him medicine unless he cries the pain cry.

Today was another early start - 5.30 though I managed to get him to doze until 6.20 (resettling at 6am). Yesterday he had two naps totalling 40mins but ended up going down and being asleep by 7.20. Today he had 20mins in the morning but we also had two short naps in the car. Fingers crossed for a good night

Gah teething and the intro to WW37 means grumpy pants baby and multiple night weaklings from 3am and early wake ups.... I'm exhausted already, and WW37 has like a month to go!

Socity I definitely get really mad when sleep deprived xx

Ah Sunnie :hugs: That ww was a tough one for us. Fingers crossed your lo has peaked early.

I think F has an ear infection :( we have a drs appt tomorrow to check. He woke at 5.30am again but he's still tired. He fell asleep in his highchair this morning and had 20mins really early. He hasn't napped properly all wkend either and its tough figuring out what he needs. Most of his naps have been in his new carseat.

Aw poor F. Ear infections are the worst!

A tough night here last night. Bed at 7:30pm and then wakings at 11:30pm, 12:30am and 5am. Yuck.

I think Charlotte was a little overtired/overstimulated. We had a great day, but did so much. We played at the JCC in the morning, she had a babysitter in the afternoon so that DH and I could have some alone time and they went to the park and had a picnic and then my best friend and her 8 month old came over that evening. They hung out while I gave C her bath and I just don't think she had time to wind down. I was getting spoiled with good nights! Hopefully it was just a fluke.

Sunnie - WW37 was rough for us too :( Hang in there.

NotNic- Aww poor baby. I hope you get it sorted out.

Noelle - Sorry for the tough night, but I'm sure it was just a fluke!

So normally Elsie has around 2 hours of naps total per day, but yesterday her first nap lasted 2.5 hours (would've been longer if I hadn't had to wake her), and then she had another 45 minute nap in the afternoon. Anyway, I thought since she'd gotten so much daytime sleep it might be a good day to try out a slightly later bedtime and see if it solved the early waking problem. All I can say is - big mistake! And she still woke at 5:30am. Ugh :coffee:

I cant wait for the day's my baby can wake up go make some cereal and stay infront of the tv until i wake up in about an hour more of sleep.. sounds bad i kno LOL!!

I cant wait for the day's my baby can wake up go make some cereal and stay infront of the tv until i wake up in about an hour more of sleep.. sounds bad i kno LOL!!

LOL me too! I was always an early riser as a kid, but I remember getting up at 5:30am and popping in a video and just hanging out until the rest of the family got up.

My mom and dad always slept in on Saturdays. They said they were "talking about our Christmas presents" so that my brother and I would leave them alone, but I'm pretty sure they were lying :)sex:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->