Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

Lie in's seem to be a fluke. 5.30am yesterday and 6.00am today :( On the upside he has been pretty much sttn this week. A little restless before 11pm, but quiet as a mouse after that. Now I just need to convince OH to take F downstairs when he wakes up at dawn to give me a tiny lie in and I'll be one happy mama :D Anyone been able to sleep train their partners?! :haha:

Absolutely! My nights are Sat, Sun, Tues & Thurs and DHs are Mon, Wed & Fri. On those nights, the selected parent will deal with any night wakings and in the morning, if LO wakes up before we need to for work we will look after him and similarly on the weekend, we both get a lie in until 9am. We need to recharge too xx

So yesterday LO woke at 5:30am as usual and she seemed really tired but she couldn't get back to sleep so she ended up going down for her first nap at 8:30am because she was so grumpy.

Today when she got up at 5:30 I rushed in and gave her ibuprofen (she's teething really badly), changed her diaper and fed her a little and sure enough she went back to sleep and woke up happy and rested 20 minutes later. What I want to know is, if her body needs an extra 20 minutes of sleep why doesn't she just sleep 20 minutes longer?! I'm not complaining - I actually like this arrangement because it gives me some time to wake up, it just seems so strange that she'd wake 20 minutes before she's ready every morning.

So yesterday LO woke at 5:30am as usual and she seemed really tired but she couldn't get back to sleep so she ended up going down for her first nap at 8:30am because she was so grumpy.

Today when she got up at 5:30 I rushed in and gave her ibuprofen (she's teething really badly), changed her diaper and fed her a little and sure enough she went back to sleep and woke up happy and rested 20 minutes later. What I want to know is, if her body needs an extra 20 minutes of sleep why doesn't she just sleep 20 minutes longer?! I'm not complaining - I actually like this arrangement because it gives me some time to wake up, it just seems so strange that she'd wake 20 minutes before she's ready every morning.

Baby sleep is just totally bizarre! I kept the early morning feed for ages because it worked to get DS back to sleep for that extra hour that he needed.

He also went through a phase of waking at 5.30 and refusing to go back to sleep even though he was still tired, he actually responded well to an earlier bedtime which got him back sleeping until 6.

Notnic, you are spot on, she is a baby that gets hyper when tired and she does get easily over stimulated. Mind you the over stimulated side of her is getting less and less as she is getting older. When she was younger you had to be soooooo careful not to over stimulate her. Bedtime is based on sleepy cues but between 6 and 7 so a loose time, but I think you have made a great point that I just need to get on with it quickly so she doesn't have a chance to get hyper. I think yesterday she napped so badly and had a fun filled day that I knew an early bedtime was in order. I still try to hold out to 6.30 so probably prolong the routine, which has alway being OK with her but not now. So tonight gave her a 5 min bath, quick massage with her bedtime tunes, cuddle with me and her lovey, in sleep bag, feed, sleep. I think I was done in 20 minutes and she's been fast asleep for an hour now, so thank you. I have been working on her naps tbh as her bedtime was fine until this week. Her morning nap is like bang, so quick and she's out, so for sure a quick routine seems to be what S needs, I'm happy with that:)

Melly my LO still needs her pacifier and she cannot put in back in herself either! I know I need to ditch it too but am dreading it totally. I am focusing on getting her naps down first though and once she's got in the habit of napping well then the paci will go, well I'll try to get rid of it! Have you thought how you are going to do it yet?

My LO totally does this too, but can often go back to sleep for an hour. It doesn't happen often but I love it when it does and I get an hour to get showered and have breakfast before S gets up for the day :) no idea why it happens though. Baby sleep is random to me!

I'm so pleased Charlie. Fingers crossed this is the sign of a good night for you. :flower:

Melly that sounds like an amazing night! When we have two wake ups (rare) I am over the moon the next day!

Bananaz that is bizarre about the wake up and 20min recharge...baby sleep is so mysterious to me!

Speaking of...my LO has been FIGHTING bedtime all week. It's soooooo aggravating. I know he's getting teeth, but he is going down for naps no problem. Four short naps today, NONE of which he fought me on. But 7:30 bedtime rolls around and his eyes pop open and he's instantly squirming around the SECOND I lay him down. I have tried more time awake before bed, less time awake. More naps, less naps.

Seriously about to lose it...

It's now been an hour and I'm sitting in the rocker as he lies chattering away in the crib.

GO TO SLEEEEEEEP.

I need wine.

It's now been an hour and I'm sitting in the rocker as he lies chattering away in the crib.

GO TO SLEEEEEEEP.

I need wine.

Ugh that's tough. Does he have big developmental stuff going on right now? Elsie is learning to walk and she's been getting so excited during the day that she has a really hard time unwinding and going to sleep at night. Extending the bedtime routine seems to help her.

I want to blame it on something, maybe the teeth. It's not a wonder week BUT I was just texting a friend this evening about how I incredibly physical he's been this week! Rolling tons, almost sitting, going from sitting to tummy, doing downward dog...he's been crazy!

This evening in particular he was a very hyper little madman!

Another bad night last night. She went to bed at 7 p.m. and she settled perfectly and I was sure that she was going to have a good night! However, she woke at 7.45 p.m. (usual 45 minute wake-up) and just wouldn't resettle at all, I actually ended up getting her up for an hour which I never do because she was just so wide awake. She finally went back to sleep at about 10 p.m. then woke at 1 a.m. for a feed and again at 3 a.m. for unknown reasons (wouldn't resettle for an hour). However she started properly crawling yesterday so I am guessing she is just a bit wired because of that.

She's resisting every single nap and bed time the pass 2 days, I have no idea what to do..

She had that one good night sleep ( good for us) friday night last night was every 30 mins again...

We used to be able to put her down in her crib she would whine a little and go off to sleep lately she's been crying on and off until she falls asleep we obviously go up there and re assure her and everything but it seems we just make her worse by going up to her and trying to calm her down..

I'm at a loss of words I try putting her down when she starts rubbing her eyes, yawning i cant hit that magic moment ever...

I'm so disappointed in myself I'm obviously doing something wrong it seems like we get it good for a bit and then HORRIBLE... it's been a long 6 months of no sleep and im now convincing myself it's something i'm doing.

I only get help with her on the weekens, OH works nights so his secdule is sleeping all day until supper time (5pm) or 6pm and going to work at 11 40pm.. so his never around and on sunday nights he leaves around 9 the only day's he can help is friday nights and saturday nights..

I need to rant.. I need some guidance right now!

We have been having really good nights! Charlotte napped a lot yesterday and didn't go to bed until 7:45pm, which is late for her. She then slept until almost 7am and so did I. It was shocking to get up when it was light outside! Felt so strange. You know you're a mom when 7am feels like sleeping in.

We have been having really good nights! Charlotte napped a lot yesterday and didn't go to bed until 7:45pm, which is late for her. She then slept until almost 7am and so did I. It was shocking to get up when it was light outside! Felt so strange. You know you're a mom when 7am feels like sleeping in.

I love those 7am lie in they are very rare :)

Not to bad here I took Daniel to soft play Friday he was shattered when we got home an slept 12hrs last night he did 7pm till 1:40 had a bottle an back down till 6:15.

Another weird night here. She was super wound up when she went down last night and didn't fall asleep until almost 8pm, then she was up at 5:20 this morning screaming and hysterical. I wasn't planning on feeding her until 6am but she was so upset even after I gave her pain meds and changed her diaper that I went ahead and nursed her. Then she went back down at 5:40 and slept until 6:15. I feel like this is the beginning of that damn feeding creeping back until 3-4am again :dohh:

Will go through and read everyone's posts when I have a bit of time later...

Is feeling rage a side effect of not sleeping for 10 months? I feel like ripping everyone's head off recently :(

Is feeling rage a side effect of not sleeping for 10 months? I feel like ripping everyone's head off recently :(

Yes Hun I am the same I think I use to be so laid back before I had lo now I am evil lol

Awwwww hugs xxxxxx

I have heard time and time again that 4/6 to 10 months is the toughest. Seems like a ridiculously long time to me but it will pass (sooner for you than for me)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->