Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

Twister, :hugs: mama. I agree with Bananaz suggestion. I would have OH take over for a few nights. Honestly, you may even want to consider letting him sleep train and you take a few days away at a friends. I have friends who have done this and it's worked well. If you're concerned about doing it the wrong way, you could have him follow Ferber's chart to a T. It's very detailed and pretty soft.

Regardless, this WILL pass. Charlotte also went through those long night wakings at that age. They're hell, I know.

Good point Polaris! Hope tonight isn't so bad for you. We've sometimes had multiple wakings early on only to get a nice long stretch after midnight.

I'm convinced our babies have their own forum. Bedtime has been like a dream recently, but Boo, Charlie is really fighting it tonight!

Lol I can just imagine it!

'Hey guys let's fight bed time tonight!'

'I think mummy's starting to think she has my sleeping figured out, give me a few new ideas quick! Has anyone been through this and managed to revert back keeping her awake all night again, and if so, how did you do it?'

:rofl:

Aimee, welcome hun! What's your little one's daytime routine like?

6 months is growth spurt/wonder week time, so this may pass on it's own.

Good point Polaris! Hope tonight isn't so bad for you. We've sometimes had multiple wakings early on only to get a nice long stretch after midnight.

I'm convinced our babies have their own forum. Bedtime has been like a dream recently, but Boo, Charlie is really fighting it tonight!

'I think mummy's starting to think she has my sleeping figured out, give me a few new ideas quick! Has anyone been through this and managed to revert back keeping her awake all night again, and if so, how did you do it?'

'LOL my mummy thought she could rock me to sleep and extend my naps, I even heard her and daddy talk about it, but I showed them!! Who wants to be part of the cat napping gang?!? We'll sleep even less than the WPB task force babies!'

;)

'LOL my mummy thought she could rock me to sleep and extend my naps, I even heard her and daddy talk about it, but I showed them!! Who wants to be part of the cat napping gang?!? We'll sleep even less than the WPB task force babies!'

;)

LOL, I swear they do listen in to our conversations! I was just saying to OH yesterday that it had been at least a week since she'd woken up 45 minutes after bedtime - so what did she do last night just to show me?

Twister - we did Ferber at around 5 months or so with Sofia and it worked wonderful for us. I let hubby follow the chart (as Noelle suggested) Ferber has in his book and I slept at my folks for 2 nights that it took. If you're not opposed to sleep training I find his method to work wonderfully not only for us but so many of my friends as well. I've mentioned before in this thread, but based on my experience babies cry A LOT less once they learn to sleep on their own.

I gave Advil to Sofia and she was back to sleeping through again last night. This morning I saw the second tooth poking out already. I wish they'd all come out at the same time!!!

Great news Shadowy Lady!

I know this has been posted before... possibly both in Baby Club and this thread, but whatever it's too funny not to repeat:

OK, here’s my situation. My Mommy has had me for almost 7 months. The first few months were great – I cried, she picked me up and fed me, anytime, day or night. Then something happened.

Over the last few weeks, she has been trying to STTN (sleep through the night). At first, I thought it was just a phase, but it is only getting worse. I’ve talked to other babies, and it seems like it’s pretty common after Mommies have had us for around 6 months. Here’s the thing: these Mommies don’t really need to sleep. It’s just a habit. Many of them have had some 30 years to sleep–they just don’t need it anymore. So I am implementing a plan. I call it the Crybaby Shuffle. It goes like this:

Night 1–cry every 3 hours until you get fed. I know, it’s hard. It’s hard to see your Mommy upset over your crying. Just keep reminding yourself, it’s for her own good.

Night 2–cry every 2 hours until you get fed.

Night 3–every hour.

Most Mommies will start to respond more quickly after about 3 nights. Some Mommies are more alert, and may resist the change longer. These Mommies may stand in your doorway for hours, shhhh-ing. Don’t give in. I cannot stress this enough: CONSISTENCY IS KEY!! If you let her STTN (sleep through the night), just once, she will expect it every night. I KNOW IT’S HARD! But she really doesn’t need the sleep, she’s just resisting the change. If you have an especially alert Mommy, you can stop crying for about 10 minutes, just long enough for her to go back to bed and start to fall asleep. Then cry again. It WILL eventually work. My Mommy once stayed awake for 10 hours straight, so I know she can do it.

Last night, I cried every hour. You just have to decide to stick to it and just go for it. BE CONSISTENT! I cried for any reason I could come up with. My sleep sack tickled my foot. I felt a wrinkle under the sheet. My mobile made a shadow on the wall. I burped, and it tasted like pears. I hadn’t eaten pears since lunch, what’s up with that? The cat said “meow”. I should know. My Mommy reminds me of this about 20 times a day. LOL. Once I cried just because I liked how it sounded when it echoed on the monitor in the other room. Too hot, too cold, just right–doesn’t matter! Keep crying!!

It took awhile, but it worked. She fed me at 4am. Tomorrow night, my goal is 3:30am. You need to slowly shorten the interval between feedings in order to reset your Mommies’ internal clocks.

Sometimes my Mommy will call for reinforcements by sending in Daddy. Don’t worry Daddies are not set up for not needing sleep the way Mommies are. They can only handle a few pats and shhing before they declare defeat and send in the Mommy.

Also, be wary of the sleep sheep with rain noises. I like to give Mommy false hope that listening to the rain puts me to sleep sometimes I pretend to close my eyes and be asleep and then wait until I know Mommy is settling back to sleep to spring a surprise cry attack. If she doesn’t get to me fast enough I follow up with my fake cough and gag noise that always has her running to the crib. At some point I am positive she will start to realize that she really doesn’t really need sleep.

P.S. Don’t let those rubber things fool you, no matter how long you suck on them, no milk will come out. Trust me.

Great news Shadowy Lady!

I know this has been posted before... possibly both in Baby Club and this thread, but whatever it's too funny not to repeat:

OK, here’s my situation. My Mommy has had me for almost 7 months. The first few months were great – I cried, she picked me up and fed me, anytime, day or night. Then something happened.

Over the last few weeks, she has been trying to STTN (sleep through the night). At first, I thought it was just a phase, but it is only getting worse. I’ve talked to other babies, and it seems like it’s pretty common after Mommies have had us for around 6 months. Here’s the thing: these Mommies don’t really need to sleep. It’s just a habit. Many of them have had some 30 years to sleep–they just don’t need it anymore. So I am implementing a plan. I call it the Crybaby Shuffle. It goes like this:

Night 1–cry every 3 hours until you get fed. I know, it’s hard. It’s hard to see your Mommy upset over your crying. Just keep reminding yourself, it’s for her own good.

Night 2–cry every 2 hours until you get fed.

Night 3–every hour.

Most Mommies will start to respond more quickly after about 3 nights. Some Mommies are more alert, and may resist the change longer. These Mommies may stand in your doorway for hours, shhhh-ing. Don’t give in. I cannot stress this enough: CONSISTENCY IS KEY!! If you let her STTN (sleep through the night), just once, she will expect it every night. I KNOW IT’S HARD! But she really doesn’t need the sleep, she’s just resisting the change. If you have an especially alert Mommy, you can stop crying for about 10 minutes, just long enough for her to go back to bed and start to fall asleep. Then cry again. It WILL eventually work. My Mommy once stayed awake for 10 hours straight, so I know she can do it.

Last night, I cried every hour. You just have to decide to stick to it and just go for it. BE CONSISTENT! I cried for any reason I could come up with. My sleep sack tickled my foot. I felt a wrinkle under the sheet. My mobile made a shadow on the wall. I burped, and it tasted like pears. I hadn’t eaten pears since lunch, what’s up with that? The cat said “meow”. I should know. My Mommy reminds me of this about 20 times a day. LOL. Once I cried just because I liked how it sounded when it echoed on the monitor in the other room. Too hot, too cold, just right–doesn’t matter! Keep crying!!

It took awhile, but it worked. She fed me at 4am. Tomorrow night, my goal is 3:30am. You need to slowly shorten the interval between feedings in order to reset your Mommies’ internal clocks.

Sometimes my Mommy will call for reinforcements by sending in Daddy. Don’t worry Daddies are not set up for not needing sleep the way Mommies are. They can only handle a few pats and shhing before they declare defeat and send in the Mommy.

Also, be wary of the sleep sheep with rain noises. I like to give Mommy false hope that listening to the rain puts me to sleep sometimes I pretend to close my eyes and be asleep and then wait until I know Mommy is settling back to sleep to spring a surprise cry attack. If she doesn’t get to me fast enough I follow up with my fake cough and gag noise that always has her running to the crib. At some point I am positive she will start to realize that she really doesn’t really need sleep.

P.S. Don’t let those rubber things fool you, no matter how long you suck on them, no milk will come out. Trust me.

I love this, someone put it on Facebook before, I seriously think that our little girl could have wrote it.

Twister so sorry you having so many problems, it sounds similar to what my friend went through, her little boy started sleeping through at about 9 weeks I think, then the 4 month sleep regression started and he was a nightmare, he's now 9 months and sleeping through again, I know it seems like a long way off, but I think if you were able to do some sleep training it wouldn't last as long, my friend couldn't bring herself to do it until recently.

So last night Jasmine slept better, she went to bed just before 7, cried for a minute or so at 155 and 230, woke at 530 and went back off until 550!! She's much happier today :thumbup:

Noelle, our daytime routine usually looks like this-

7:30-8:30- wake up
9:45- (hour and 15 after waking) 1st nap
10:45- wake up
1:00- nap
2:30-3:00- wake up (usually the longest nap)
5:30-6:00- cat nap
8:00- start winding down for bed, change, feed, then the sleep process
9:00-9:30- usually asleep by now

Looking at it like that, I'm thinking maybe her last awake time is too long? I've tried tons of times putting her to bed earlier though and she will often treat it as a nap an wake up at like 9-10 pm ready to play!

Last night I tried moving up her bedtime a half an hour and getting her to sleep by 8:30, but she fought it so hard! So I put her down for a few minutes and let her get some energy out playing on the floor, then tried again. When I looked at the clock right after she was asleep, it was 9:00!

Seaweed, I think I'll try waking her a tad bit when I set her down to see if that helps. I'm afraid she'll turn into a screaming mess though from being woken up!

Last night I tried not to feed her first thing during her night wakings. She woke up about 8 times!

Her first was 45 minutes after bedtime and it was most difficult to get met back to sleep. But I managed to without feeding.

Her third and sixth wake ups I also managed to get her back to sleep without the boob. She loves the boob so much though, sometimes I wake up and find her latched on and I know I didn't put her there!

Sorry for the novel y'all.

Twister, I've been keeping tabs on your sleep journey with Jessica since our Los are closer to the same age. I hope it gets better soon!

Thanks Aimee! You're going to want to adjust your schedule slightly to get that cat nap earlier and bedtime earlier. It means slightly stretching the wake times earlier in the day to reduce the wake time before bed to prevent her from getting overtired. Give it a week to work. I think this will really help her night sleep. So you're routine would go something like this (the time awake is more important than the actual times, you don't have to go by the clock):

7:30am wake

9:15am-10:15am nap 1

12:30pm-2:30pm nap 2

4:45pm-5:15pm nap 3

7:30pm bedtime

I hope this helps! You also may want to wake her by 7:30am at the latest. I know that's no fun, but it will make doing an easier bedtime earlier. If she doesn't wake until 8:30am, everything will be pushed later and less in sync with her natural rhythms.

Twister I'm going through the same thing right now, she literally slept good for a week and right now its like 2 good days and 1 super bad day and I've changed nothing to her routine in the last while... I dont understand how she can self settle her self at bed time and naps but the in the middle of the night it's a no go.. I have a feeling its to the point if it doesn't get better when she is 8 months i'm going down the CIO route because its just wearing me down i swear during the day i've started seeing dots in my vision i'm so darn tired and wore out all the time!

Ok ladies, I've been doing a bit of googling and have made the decision to do Ferber. Starting tonight. This simply cannot go on, it's getting silly and neither of us are getting any decent sleep. I found a version of the chart online, is this right:

Day 1 - 3 min (1st wait); 5 min (2nd wait); 10 min (3rd wait); 10 min (subsequent waits)

Day 2 – 5 min; 10 min; 12 min; 12 min (subsequent waits)

Day 3 – 10 min; 12 min; 15 min; 15 min (subsequent waits)

Day 4 – 12 min; 15 min; 17 min; 17 min (subsequent waits)

Day 5 – 15 min; 17 min; 20 min; 20 min (subsequent waits)

Day 6 – 17 min; 20 min; 25 min; 25 min (subsequent waits)

Day 7 – 20 min; 25 min; 30 min; 30 min (subsequent waits)

So. Any advice? I would make my own thread but I don't want to get bombarded by people who are anti sleep training :)

Oh my, I am Nervous (note capital 'N') for tonight. It took me over an hour to put him down, and I nurse to sleep! I held him for the usual 5 mins then put him down... Cue eyes open, red face, legs kicking and crying. I rocked him to sleep, tried ten minutes this time... Same again. I tried holding him for 20 minutes after his eyes closed... Same again!!! Finally after half an hour of holding him I managed to ease him down. Eek! And that's normally the easy part of our night!

Good luck everyone!!!

Twister, no advice but good luck. You might want to read this blog post:

https://www.healthytippingpoint.com/2012/12/adventures-in-baby-sleep-training.html

I remember reading it a while back and finding it quite thorough.

Ok ladies, I've been doing a bit of googling and have made the decision to do Ferber. Starting tonight. This simply cannot go on, it's getting silly and neither of us are getting any decent sleep. I found a version of the chart online, is this right:

Day 1 - 3 min (1st wait); 5 min (2nd wait); 10 min (3rd wait); 10 min (subsequent waits)

Day 2 – 5 min; 10 min; 12 min; 12 min (subsequent waits)

Day 3 – 10 min; 12 min; 15 min; 15 min (subsequent waits)

Day 4 – 12 min; 15 min; 17 min; 17 min (subsequent waits)

Day 5 – 15 min; 17 min; 20 min; 20 min (subsequent waits)

Day 6 – 17 min; 20 min; 25 min; 25 min (subsequent waits)

Day 7 – 20 min; 25 min; 30 min; 30 min (subsequent waits)

So. Any advice? I would make my own thread but I don't want to get bombarded by people who are anti sleep training :)

That's perfect dear. My advice is to be consistent and send daddy in when your checks get her more worked up than calm.

Thank you both! I'm nervous.

Question: what if she wakes and she's genuinely hungry? Like how would I know? Should I just guess based on how long ago her last feed was? So if she wakes 2 hours after her last feed chances are she's not hungry and to go through with CC, but if she wakes 6 hours after then she's probably hungry, right?

Thank you both! I'm nervous.

Question: what if she wakes and she's genuinely hungry? Like how would I know? Should I just guess based on how long ago her last feed was? So if she wakes 2 hours after her last feed chances are she's not hungry and to go through with CC, but if she wakes 6 hours after then she's probably hungry, right?

I would set a feeding cut-off of 6 hours. Feed her once at night after 6 hours and perhaps again after 4 hours if necessary. For other night wakings use CC.

Quick question: if he sleeps fine in my arms but cries the minute I put him down is this consistent with teething? Or some new form of sleep torture? He keeps waking crying but is fine as soon as I pick him up. He's crying/waking much more than usual and it's only 2 hours since bedtime. I don't want to give him pain relief for bad sleep but will give him some paracetamol if he is in pain.

ETA- sorry that is not very clear. What I mean to ask is can teething pain be soothed just by picking them up or would they keep crying even if you pick them up when teething.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->