Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

To me, fluff now means either cloth diapers or woven wraps. As in "Got some long awaited fluff mail today!"

Our euphemism was 'toot'!

I "fluff" my laundry. Smells nice when it's done!

Fluff? As in, "who fluffed?" :lol:

Exactly! There's been a lot of fluffing going on in my house last night (and not from me or DH).

Noelle, sorry for lowering the tone of your thread - although Gaia started it :haha:

We had a better night last night. It still took ages to get him down at the start of the night and he woke probably every 90 mins but he was much easier to settle. I'm going to keep working on our awake times today x

Yeah, we refer to LO's "fluffy butt" due to additional girth from his cloth diaper...guess that would mean something rather different in the Stephie household! :haha:

Glad your night was better! Every 90 minutes is still rough, but much much better than every 45! :hugs: I hope things continue to improve.

Munchkin refused his afternoon nap again, so the fun continues over here. I wonder whether sleep training would help him with this given that they (try to) put him down asleep at daycare. IIRC it did help him extend his naps in his old classroom, but that's when he was willing to go down but just unable to stay asleep, which is different.

SE that's so rough! I can't imagine Cully on one nap. He would be a mess. Does he let you rock him to sleep for naps at home? How do you think sleep training will help the napping situation? Poor Munchkin! Any chance he's a super early one nap transitioner? I know that suggestion always gets rubbished but I know a 10 month old on one nap in real life. What if you tried putting him down later in the day? Would he be ok or would he struggle?

good that your night was better stephie. wow every 90 minutes must be tough!

Aron did his longest first stretch of sleep since he was 3 months.
8:30pm-00:30 (damn should have gone to bed here)

but then woke up every two hours :haha: i think he is just a surprise every night :haha:

anyway and then woke up early. 6:50.

last days putting him to naps is like holding a screaming pig. i feel so guilty, but he needs a nap. so it takes 10 minutes. not so bad in the end. just hope he is only difficult due to his teeth. some part of it is out already but not the whole tooth if you know what i mean. could that be it?

cant wait until i try to put him in his room again. i will try after my dad leaves. i wanna have him on the matress, coz by then he might start crawling, and i am scared he will fall from my bed. hope he will sleep better then without me. prolly not :haha:

Yeah, we refer to LO's "fluffy butt" due to additional girth from his cloth diaper...guess that would mean something rather different in the Stephie household! :haha:

Glad your night was better! Every 90 minutes is still rough, but much much better than every 45! :hugs: I hope things continue to improve.

Munchkin refused his afternoon nap again, so the fun continues over here. I wonder whether sleep training would help him with this given that they (try to) put him down asleep at daycare. IIRC it did help him extend his naps in his old classroom, but that's when he was willing to go down but just unable to stay asleep, which is different.

i remember with ds1 he would refuse his 2nd nap around this time. and i ended up walking with him for 2 hours outside for a week with no success but me being tired lol.

then my friend said. her ds1 stopped napping way earlier. and would never nap 1 nap at 1year. she would just lie with him in bed to have quiet time. but nothing worked to make him nap. so she said i should worry. so if i remember correctly about 10 months ds1 napped only ones. he still naps ones now, i am glad for that :haha: can have both nap at the same time while i nap too.

I love a humorous tone to our thread once in awhile! You gotta have sense of humor or you might as well just give up, right? ;)

This is a hilarious discussion. I think of "fluff" as marshmallow fluff, which is something you put on a peanut butter sandwich when you're little :haha: I bet none of you have ever heard of this!

Mmmmmmm marshmallow fluff!

Stephie, yay for improvements however small :)

Bababas - Yay four hours! Nice! I always make that mistake of not going to bed at the right time...darn!

SE - F would be such a mess! Impressed Munckin can hold it together! I totally stress about naps too (obviously) but I DO try to tell myself that all we can do is give them opportunities to sleep and try and facilitate it. They have to meet us halfway! Lol. There is nothing I can do personally to make F sleep if he isn't into it...

Having said that, I would be weirded out on one nap so I can imagine why you want to change that!

AFM - *Stay away curse* Night two of having some evening back. F slept in his bed from 7:30-12. I only had to go in ONCE in that time. DH and I watched a movie and even had some...romantic time! ;)

DH pointed out that F has usually two good evenings followed by 20 miserable though, so glad we enjoyed it while it lasted.

Tonight will be the interesting one! Back to normal or another easy one!?!?

Still sticking to 2 naps and glad I stuck it out with 2 a bit longer because I don't think that was th problem...

Maybe his teeth migrate down for 20 days then take a 2 day break!? Lol.

Stilllllll getting the 8th. It's broken through but hasn't risen up much. Actually all his teeth are still kinda 'short'...for those with older babies, is this normal? I can't believe how slowly they seem to fully move into place...

Noelle, I have never heard of marshmallow fluff! It sounds delicious! How is Charlie? Still enjoying 2 naps? What are they doing with her at daycare?

Bababas, what an awesome sleep!! Good luck getting him back in his room.

Gaia, such wonderful news!! I still can't believe F is working on his 8th tooth. Poor little man. That must have been so painful for him. Culver still only has two teeth!

I tried a little experiment today and just let Cully crawl around our room until he started to get tired. 4 hours and 45 minutes after his last nap (and almost SEVEN hours since his last feed) I put my foot down and started feeding him to sleep. So total awake time = 11.5. I will report back in the morning!! Surely 5 hours is far too long for him to be awake? He seemed to get a bit manic towards the 4.5 hour mark but not too bad.

i remember with ds1 he would refuse his 2nd nap around this time. and i ended up walking with him for 2 hours outside for a week with no success but me being tired lol.

then my friend said. her ds1 stopped napping way earlier. and would never nap 1 nap at 1year. she would just lie with him in bed to have quiet time. but nothing worked to make him nap. so she said i should worry. so if i remember correctly about 10 months ds1 napped only ones. he still naps ones now, i am glad for that :haha: can have both nap at the same time while i nap too.

This is really interesting! Ten months seems so early but it really is true that all babies are different.

hi stephie. yes like my boys are black and white in every way :haha: they are supposed to be brothers :haha:

btw here in iceland most babies begin playschool at 9-12 months and for 12 months all play schools have only 1 nap. the special playschools here the privAte ones supply 2 naps for the younger ones.

It's still so hot here! 28 degrees in Clara's room this evening. It took forever to get her to sleep this evening. No more long stretches, she has come down with a cough which was disturbing her sleep a lot last night, and I also think I can see tooth number 5 under the gums.

28! wow. ok im glad that i am in iceland now :wacko: our room is 21. but anyway therefore you get no summer here :haha: 18-22 degrees is summer outside. with cold winds.

Noelle, of course I've heard of marshmallow fluff! Yummy :)

Stephie, even on good days Munchkin routinely goes close to 5 hours after his last nap. IIRC that started when WW37 started, so a couple of months ago. (We had success for about a week trying to put him down right at 4 hours, but then that stopped, and I tried 3.5 hours with no success.) I'm sure if 12 hours TWT is in the normal range, at least 4.5 hours before bed must be, too. 12 must look something like 3-4-5 or 3-4.5-4.5. Otherwise it would have to be 4-4-4 or 3-5-4 and I think it's definitely better to have the longest one before bed. Long-winded way of saying...if it works then I think you can go with it! :thumbup: But if he's not doing well on it, of course, intervene.

Gaia, so glad things are improving for you!! :happydance: Stay away curse! I really hope the better evenings continue. Munchkin's one tooth that's fully grown in looks short to me, but I think it's done. So maybe it's normal? Or maybe normal among glacially slow teethers, anyway? :haha:

Polaris, sorry you had a rough night :hugs: hope that tooth is out soon, the weather cools down, and her cough goes away. All transient things, at least, and hopefully brief!

Thanks ladies. I'm at least 99% certain Munchkin is not ready for one nap. Before his sleep got worse he was often taking two 1.5-hour naps per day. Today, his first nap was short, but he went down great for his second nap and is currently well into its second sleep cycle. From what they've said at daycare, he falls asleep in their arms but just won't let them transfer him, so I think it's the new environment and the new people, plus general overtiredness. Also I'm thinking of asking them not to put him down before 3 hours awake at an absolute minimum, and probably 3.5 unless he really seems exhausted. They go by his cues and sometimes I think they try too early, and then I'm afraid that sleeping in their arms for a few minutes throws him off. I don't know how he's keeping it together, either, honestly!

SE that's Fs issue too, the transfer. I wonder if they would be willing to just bounce him in a carrier and wear him for at least a sleep cycle if it doesn't change soon? That way he's at least getting a short nap!

They can't use carriers because of their licensing. They're not allowed to use anything that restrains babies, so no swings or anything either. Licensing is also the reason they can't let him use his blankie in the crib, which I think is actually a pretty big problem for him. :( For the most part the licensing gives me immense peace of mind but some of these little details are annoying. I think they typically hold him for about 10-15 minutes after he falls asleep but I've seen them say to babies, "We need to sleep in our beds." Personally, I support them in that, actually -- it's the same rule I've always had at home. If I'm in WIO mode then I'll help him get to sleep as many times as he wants, but he needs to sleep in his bed. There was one day they told me they tried for two and a half hours to put him down, so I'm happy with how hard they are trying. And I don't think having them hold him through his naps is a long-term solution.

Anyway so he is getting a few minutes of sleep in arms at least. And he's slept in his crib at least 20 minutes most days since he started, too, so hopefully the more he does it the easier it will get. Part of the problem is probably that they actually changed the location of his crib last week, so that he's closer to the white noise and farther from the play area. I think that will be a good change in the long run (even when he would fall asleep he wasn't sleeping a full cycle, I think because noise was waking him up) but for now it's probably made things harder since it was yet another change.

Stephie, I realized I never answered your question about how sleep training would help with this. When we've sleep trained in the past it's been my sense that he becomes able to fall asleep more easily in any given situation. Like he even falls asleep more quickly in the car! So I'm wondering whether, if he is waking up upon transfer, he'd be more able to just go to sleep when they put him down. :shrug: Might not help, but I don't think it would hurt.

Well. We are either still teething or teething again. I don't know. He has been intensely drooly and chewy and rashy all day and was biting me and fighting bedtime tonight.

I give up! I cannot catch a break!

Guess DH was right. 2 nights off and then the teeth are back at it.

I can't believe I'm writing this but our night was better!! The evening was horrendous - he woke a few times hysterical, but I suspect this is him getting used to the longer awake time (or our old friend teething of course). I went to bed at 10ish and I think we only had 3 wakeups (each pretty quick to resettle) until 430 am. He then had to be resettled every half hour but this is pretty normal for us.

I'm thrilled and feel so stupid for pushing the 12 hours at night for so long. I had in my head he had to sleep 12 hours (or be given the opportunity to sleep 12 hours) or I would be damaging him!

New plan - 2.5 (cat nap) 3.5 (at least 1.5 hour nap) 5. I did think about abandoning a plan altogether but this doesn't suit my personality and I'm sure Culver would just stay up forever and not breastfeed and we would both be a quivering mess.

I'll be back soon to respond to everyone - cat nap time!

Yay, awesome news Stephie!

F never gets 12 hours at night. Usually 10-11 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->