Rather belated birth story of Ruby, 2nd May 2009

Mum2b_Claire

Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!
Reaction score
Well I thought I might as well share my story as it's a positive one! Better late than never, eh?

So on the Wednesday night, one day shy of 41 weeks, I had a bloody show which shocked me, as I'd been for a sweep the day before and my MW Sarah had said she couldn't do it because I wasn't dilated at all. I was a bit achy all day Thursday, then in the evening it got worse, my back was very painful, but no more so than period pains. I didn't sleep that night as lying down was the worst position ever for the pain.

On the Friday morning my OH said he wouldn't go to work but I tried to persaude him to go as I was sure there would be like 3 days of this to go through! He refused though and thank god. All day the pains got worse, all still in my back and kind of inside me too. OH bought me a load of magazines but I struggled to read them. I didn't want to eat either, but OH just brought me food regularly anyway and I ate what I could.

At about 2pm I started struggling with the pain. I phoned the birth centre and asked for advice. They were quite dismissive and just said have a bath and only come in when contractions were 5 mins apart and lasting a minute each! (btw - this never happened!)

Later on OH phoned the birth centre again as I was getting quite distressed and although short, the contractions were coming all on top of each other and very painful. They said we could come in but would likely be sent home after an examination.

I was sooo happy to see that Sarah, the MW I'd seen before was on duty. She was lovely and took us to one of the rooms. I was 3cm so was sent home. Sarah did say she expected to see us back in the next few hours though.

Sure enough, after being at home for about an hour I started to bleed a lot more and have an urge to push with each contraction. OH rang Sarah and she said come in.

When we arrived, the pool had been filled, the lights were low and Magic FM was playing. It was lovely. I got into the pool and stayed there for a few hours. I found it lovely at first but it got too warm for me and I also felt a bit out of control during contractions. So I got out, and just paced up and down. During contractions, I just held OH in a tight hug and did deep breathing. Without the deep breathing I would not have been able to cope with the pain at all.

At about 9cm my contractions slowed a bit. Sarah offered to break my waters as they were bulging apparently. She did but things didn't really start up again. I carried on walking around to encourage the contractions. Eventually Sarah manually dilated me the last 10cm.

I pushed for 40 minutes, feeling like I was going to explode each time, and Ruby Rosemary was born at 5.40am weighing 7lb 2oz, to the sounds of Duffy's 'Warwick Avenue'! I felt no pain as I delivered her, had no tears and needed no stitches. I remember telling my Dad on the phone that I felt like I'd been run over by a steam roller though!

I can hardly believe I had no pain relief, not even gas and air, and only swore twice! But I credit that to Sarah who was fantastic, the OH and the good old NCT who taught me the deep breathing technique!

Thanks for reading :)

I LOVE positive birth stories like this!! Congrats on your little girl, well done!! xx

awww congratulations! thanks for sharing such a positive story :D x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->