Ready Made or Powder?

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
I've heard a few people say you shouldn't use the powder with newborns?

Is this right? How long before you can use the powder?

Planning on using SMA Gold as this is what I was brought up on so i trust it. You can get the ready made stuff in 1L cartons so it wont be too bad. Just wanted to know if this is correct or not. Thanks xx

I used powder about a week after we got home (cartons were easier at the time) it says can be used from birth!
We use powder in the day time (unless we are caught unawares) and cartons for the night feed.
If you plan on making up as you go along, which is recommended. A top tip is boil the kettle and put in half the amount of water you need. Put in a bottle in fridge to cool. Then when you make your bottle. Use half boiling water, add powder and shake, then add the cooled water from fridge. Hey presto bottle is at right temp to use (obv test first just in case). I then fill the spare bottle again with the water ready for next feed. It has a nice 4 hours to cool then.

You can use powder from birth, theres no reason why you cant.

Ready made is just for convienience and nothing else chick :)

Thanks....I know it's early but I like to be prepared. I think it's ladies over in US/Canada who have been told this so maybe it's different over there.

Thanks again....will bear that in mind. :hugs:

We use the ready made cartons cause i hate the powder! In the early days we used to buy the small 250ml cartons and 1 carton was enough for 5 feeds!!! now we have the large cartons. Powder is loads cheaper but ready made is easier.

Weve used powder from the beginning and ready-made for when were caught out!

powder from the start...not keen on that ready made stuff x

I've never heard this hun. Charlie had EBM at first so I don't know. x

I am still using cartons. I make my feeds up as I go so the cartons work for me as Seth has them at room temperature so no warming them up, it's so quick and easy!

Thanks girls....I think we're going to get both to start with and see what LO likes. long time yet though!!!

Thats a good idea...im thinking about getting both aswell its the only way to find out which is best for you and you LO x

Ready made are so handy for night feeds - my HV said to me with one eye open dpending how baby sleeps it can be dangerous to count scoops so we always have some in for those kind of nights.

If anything ready made are much much more exspensive - I considered it the other day with running after 2 but have decided against.

I also find that the ready made cartons are very sweet and sticky compared to the powder as anyone else noticed this?

My baby girl wont drink ready made formula!!

I'm from the US and never heard not to use it lol. They give you both in the hospital if you plan on formula feeding, even though I did breastfeeding you get a free diaper bag that has both too...way to promote nursing huh? lol. But yeah powder is fine from birth :) Good luck

hi can i just say i feed my first 2 babies on sma then was told by a midwife that it is known for causeing constipation ,, gave my 3rd cow & gate no probs pooed fine no colic no sick was great !!

Lola was only on ready made for one day because it was easier to do when we just got from the hospital...the next day she was on powder and still is.

Only when we go out I use ready made

hi can i just say i feed my first 2 babies on sma then was told by a midwife that it is known for causeing constipation ,, gave my 3rd cow & gate no probs pooed fine no colic no sick was great !!

Ooh that's interesting thanks! I suffer from digestive problems (not major - sensitive stomach mainly) so probably best to avoid this for baby. Will read up.

Thanks xx

I use the powder but do have some cartons for emergencies. We have a little tub with 3 compartments in that we put the right amount of scoops in, for the night feeds as Wobbles said it just makes it a bit safer when you are half asleep. I think mothercare do a version as well but ours are avent

Yeah you can definately use the powder with a newborn :) And Leo's been on SMA since birth and we've never had a problem with constipation with him
x

My son takes the powder better than the ready made stuff. I guess each baby is different. Looking at them in different bottles, the ready made stuff looks thicker, and i think that's why my son took more of the powder than the ready made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->