Ready Made or Powder?

Discussion in 'Formula Feeding' started by aimee-lou, Apr 14, 2009.

1. aimee-lou

aimee-lou Totally Outnumbered!!

I've heard a few people say you shouldn't use the powder with newborns?

Is this right? How long before you can use the powder?

Planning on using SMA Gold as this is what I was brought up on so i trust it. You can get the ready made stuff in 1L cartons so it wont be too bad. Just wanted to know if this is correct or not. Thanks xx

2. Fossey

Fossey Mummy to Larissa

I used powder about a week after we got home (cartons were easier at the time) it says can be used from birth!
    We use powder in the day time (unless we are caught unawares) and cartons for the night feed.
    If you plan on making up as you go along, which is recommended. A top tip is boil the kettle and put in half the amount of water you need. Put in a bottle in fridge to cool. Then when you make your bottle. Use half boiling water, add powder and shake, then add the cooled water from fridge. Hey presto bottle is at right temp to use (obv test first just in case). I then fill the spare bottle again with the water ready for next feed. It has a nice 4 hours to cool then.

3. polo_princess

polo_princess ♥ Brookes Mummy ♥

You can use powder from birth, theres no reason why you cant.

Ready made is just for convienience and nothing else chick :)

4. aimee-lou

Thanks....I know it's early but I like to be prepared. I think it's ladies over in US/Canada who have been told this so maybe it's different over there.

Thanks again....will bear that in mind. :hugs:

5. bex

bex Our little princess

We use the ready made cartons cause i hate the powder! In the early days we used to buy the small 250ml cartons and 1 carton was enough for 5 feeds!!! now we have the large cartons. Powder is loads cheaper but ready made is easier.

6. charliebear

charliebear Mum to AJ & Pumpkin

Weve used powder from the beginning and ready-made for when were caught out!

7. Dizzy321

Dizzy321 very proud mammy to 3!

powder from the start...not keen on that ready made stuff x

8. Sovereign

Sovereign Well-Known Member

I've never heard this hun. Charlie had EBM at first so I don't know. x

9. Meels-Spot

Meels-Spot Well-Known Member

I am still using cartons. I make my feeds up as I go so the cartons work for me as Seth has them at room temperature so no warming them up, it's so quick and easy!

10. aimee-lou

Thanks girls....I think we're going to get both to start with and see what LO likes. long time yet though!!!

11. Chick21

Chick21 Mummy 2 Effy <3

Thats a good idea...im thinking about getting both aswell its the only way to find out which is best for you and you LO x

12. Wobbles

Wobbles BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired

Ready made are so handy for night feeds - my HV said to me with one eye open dpending how baby sleeps it can be dangerous to count scoops so we always have some in for those kind of nights.

If anything ready made are much much more exspensive - I considered it the other day with running after 2 but have decided against.

13. laura3103

laura3103 Mum to 2 expecting no3 :)

I also find that the ready made cartons are very sweet and sticky compared to the powder as anyone else noticed this?

My baby girl wont drink ready made formula!!

14. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

I'm from the US and never heard not to use it lol. They give you both in the hospital if you plan on formula feeding, even though I did breastfeeding you get a free diaper bag that has both too...way to promote nursing huh? lol. But yeah powder is fine from birth :) Good luck

15. lissaloo

lissaloo Well-Known Member

hi can i just say i feed my first 2 babies on sma then was told by a midwife that it is known for causeing constipation ,, gave my 3rd cow & gate no probs pooed fine no colic no sick was great !!

16. nikky0907

nikky0907 Well-Known Member

Lola was only on ready made for one day because it was easier to do when we just got from the hospital...the next day she was on powder and still is.

Only when we go out I use ready made

17. aimee-lou

Ooh that's interesting thanks! I suffer from digestive problems (not major - sensitive stomach mainly) so probably best to avoid this for baby. Will read up.

Thanks xx

18. claire-lou

claire-lou Jack & Martha's Mummy

I use the powder but do have some cartons for emergencies. We have a little tub with 3 compartments in that we put the right amount of scoops in, for the night feeds as Wobbles said it just makes it a bit safer when you are half asleep. I think mothercare do a version as well but ours are avent

19. Sophie1205

Sophie1205 TTC #2

Yeah you can definately use the powder with a newborn :) And Leo's been on SMA since birth and we've never had a problem with constipation with him
    x

20. AGuy

AGuy Member

My son takes the powder better than the ready made stuff. I guess each baby is different. Looking at them in different bottles, the ready made stuff looks thicker, and i think that's why my son took more of the powder than the ready made.