Really not sure who to believe

Harveysmum369

Mrs Christmas
Reaction score
Harvey was born with polycythemia and had a partical exchange transfusion at 3 days old...when he went for his check up at 4 months,they discharged him from SCBU and said that he was fine,I asked if any other children I had would have it and the consultant said that yes they would as its something in my genetics so I will pass it onto every child I have.
The consultant who saw Harvey at 18 months in Norfolk,said it was a one off and it shouldn't affect any more of my children.
Does anyone know anything about it?Xx

Sorry you've been given some mixed information, the same happened to me when I was told about my genetics. I'm sorry that I don't know about polycythemia as well. Have you and your partner had your genetics tested? It most likely depends on whether the gene causing polycythemia is a dominant or recessive gene. If the gene causing the polycythemia is a dominant gene, then either you or your partner would have had to have had polycythemia also, unless it was a one off gene mutation (which would mean all your future children should be fine). Otherwise, if it was caused by 2 recessive genes, then both you and your partner are probably carriers of the recessive gene, meaning that only 25% of your future children would have polycythemia. I'm sorry I don't know if it's caused by a dominant or recessive genes. I would try and arrange to speak to a genetics councillor to get a straight forward answer though, as they have been very helpful in my situation.

I have just found this information though ... https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/polycythemia-vera. It explains that most of the time it is caused by a dominant gene - meaning that all your future children should be fine. But, in rare cases, it can run in families, - not in the sense that all your children would have the condition, but would rather have an increased risk.

Thank you for that!Would I have to speak to my GP,or the hospital where he was born do you think?xx

I would ask my GP to help me arrange an appointment with a genetics councellor, failing that, I would search the internet for hospitals that deal with genetic issues near your area and call them. You would need to search for the Departmnet of Clinical Genetics. I have contact details for the Leeds hospital, but that's it unfortunately. x

I've rung the GP,they are calling me back,will prob get fobbed off :( xx

:hugs: Hopefully you won't get fobbed off hun and get some answers soon as to which is which

Hope so,she can't say yes or no though as if she knew that much surely she would be a consultant!lol.xx

Just got the nice doctor on the phone,he went back in Harveys notes and said the type of Polycythemia Harvey had ISN'T hereditary! :) But he did say when I have another baby to mention what Harvey had at my booking in appointment and then can test baby for it at birth.xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->