Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

Tiggercats, I had a similar issue when I was looking into erf seats, in that Roo was too small. Technically still is, I don't think she's 20lbs yet! This was why I initially plumped for the duologic as it is birth to 18kg. Howver, when I emailed Hakan to ask for advise, he said that for erf seats, the weight limit is not as important. It's more that baby has to be able to sit up themselves with good head control. He would have been quite happy to sell me a multi tech or any other "9-25kg" seats, and I think Roo was about 16 or 17lbs at the time.

From the Maxi Cosi website - it rear-faces to 13kg. Then turns and will forward face to 18kg.

HOORAY - my car seat has arrived. Unfortunately, the delivery man woke Daniel up so I can't fit it just yet.

I have a Smart Car.
One of these if people are unfamiliar with them

https://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v77/202/57/646376454/n646376454_79965_434.jpg

I did have this set up in my car. The Maxi Cosi Cabriofix Infant car seat with EasyFix base

https://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/197841_10150099820276455_646376454_6517800_6318281_n.jpg

I want to rear face for as long as possible, so I am now the proud owner of the Maxi Cosi Opal Combination seat.

https://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190559_10150099820846455_646376454_6517806_1747906_n.jpg
https://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/200412_10150099820981455_646376454_6517807_7180575_n.jpg

Daniel looks very cosy in there! What a funky little car you have :)

Awww Binxy I love your car!! And the seat looks fab in there. Daniel looks like he loves it too :D

I'm looking at either the Sunshine Kids Radian Premier or Sunshine Kids Radian XT. Can anyone tell me, are these easy to use? I mean in terms of buckling them in, tightening the straps, etc...I've been doing some research on convertible seats and read reviews about other brands being incredibly difficult/annoying to use.

we've just got the radian xtsl and have it fitted in the back seat using a shoulder/lap seatbelt as my car doesn't have isofix. It comes with a D ring strap that is secured around the bottom of the front seat ( a fixed part not a part that moves) and is top tethered to that.
I've never installed a seat before and found this really easy as long as I followed the instructions carefully. it comes with everything you need and we've got it so it barely moves a ml. It is tall, and reclines a fair amount, so the front seat has had to go forward, for most this would't be a problem but my OH is over 6ft so it leaves him with little leg space. Oh well, my LO is in the car more often then he is. :lol:
They are simple to buckle up and use, we got all the strap settings right inside before we installed it and now its no problems, lengthening/tightening the straps while its installed is also simple. I'm very happy with it and P loves it.

Sorry if this has been asked before in this thread, I can't bring myself to read all 608 posts!

We have the Britax Hi Way which we got from the Sweedish website. It was £240 and we are really pleased with it. However I have just been looking through the Tesco catalogue and they have several car seats that do forward and rear facing. The ones I am looking at are:
My child travel basic car seat - £49.95
My Child Remi plus - £59.95
Britax First Class SL PLus - £159.95
Jane Racing - £179.95

Do you think these are as good as the imported ones? Are the really cheap ones just as safe?

We are due to have our second child in a few weeks and although stage 2 car seats are a little way away, I am going to be working less and if there is a cheapter alternative, I am very keen to take it!

the problem with stage 0+,1 combi seats is that they only go to 18kg and only 12/13kg rear facing, i have the britax first class plus for EJ and hes nearly at the rear facing weight limit, its a good seat for larger babies who cant stay in an infant carrier and are too small for larger purpose made rear facing seats or even from birth they can be good but its not a great solution caus you only get limited use from them before they are outgrown and have to be forward facing. iyswim

Sorry if this has been asked before in this thread, I can't bring myself to read all 608 posts!

We have the Britax Hi Way which we got from the Sweedish website. It was £240 and we are really pleased with it. However I have just been looking through the Tesco catalogue and they have several car seats that do forward and rear facing. The ones I am looking at are:
My child travel basic car seat - £49.95
My Child Remi plus - £59.95
Britax First Class SL PLus - £159.95
Jane Racing - £179.95

Do you think these are as good as the imported ones? Are the really cheap ones just as safe?

We are due to have our second child in a few weeks and although stage 2 car seats are a little way away, I am going to be working less and if there is a cheapter alternative, I am very keen to take it!

Are you getting a travel system for your new LO? I mean, what carseat are they going to be using first? The reason I ask is because there are seats you can get which do birth-18kg rear-facing. Depends on how big your child is, but that could be at least 4 years old.

My seat, you can take the seat part off and carry it (like a normal infant carrier), and it'll go in the car without the base as well. It's the Graco DuoLogic 2. They also do a DuoLogic1, which is cheaper, but I don't think the seat comes off. It's the same in every other way though.

If you're wanting to have an Infant carrier first, and then go for a stage 1 ERF seat, then you could look at the Volvo (Britax) MultiTech. It's the exact same as the Britax MultiTech, just it has a Volvo badge. The Britax seat sells for £200+, the volvo one is £130 from a Volvo dealer. It'll ERF to about 5 or 6, then be a forward-facing harnessed seat, then be a booster seat. So it's a lot of seat for the price! We got one for my Mum's car :) It's a 9kg + seat, so you could probably start using it when your LO outgrows their infant seat :)

Hope that helps :flower:

When I asked Hakan about the same thing, he said in combi seats there is always something that has to give to let them be both RF and FF? I just purchased a hi-way from a british company for £200 inc delivery if that helps?

Peanut56:

I agree with this. :thumbup: I've got 2 Radian XTSLs and love them. They are definitely tall and recline a bit, so compromise the front seat leg room a bit. Not a problem for me (5'9) but more of a nuisance for my DH (6'4). However, he still manages to tolerate it.

The first time I installed one it was a bit of a bear, especially because I don't have LATCH in the SUV I use them most in. They are much easier to install in the Honda that has LATCH. But, as long as you follow the instructions carefully and keep at it, you'll get it. Now, I can install them quickly with no trouble from memory. :thumbup:

As far as tightening straps and getting them in and out, I find this MUCH easier than other ERF seats. MIL has a different one in her car and it is much harder. The low profile of the Radian is very nice for this. It can be a little tricky to pull the strap to tighten the harness, but there is a trick! Use one hand to reach behind the seat, gather the straps in your hand, and pull them down to tighten. Then use the other hand to pull the strap by their feet to secure the harness in place. Works like a charm!
we've just got the radian xtsl and have it fitted in the back seat using a shoulder/lap seatbelt as my car doesn't have isofix. It comes with a D ring strap that is secured around the bottom of the front seat ( a fixed part not a part that moves) and is top tethered to that.
I've never installed a seat before and found this really easy as long as I followed the instructions carefully. it comes with everything you need and we've got it so it barely moves a ml. It is tall, and reclines a fair amount, so the front seat has had to go forward, for most this would't be a problem but my OH is over 6ft so it leaves him with little leg space. Oh well, my LO is in the car more often then he is. :lol:
They are simple to buckle up and use, we got all the strap settings right inside before we installed it and now its no problems, lengthening/tightening the straps while its installed is also simple. I'm very happy with it and P loves it.

Anybody have any experience with ERF and a 3door car? Its a Clio. I just think i wont be able to see the wing mirror with him in the front. (i am able to turn air bag off and i currently use his infant seat in the front)

Im also interested in the Britax Highway II anybody had any experience with these? also do they recline? or just tilt a little bit? if at all.

xx

Anyone here got the volvo cobination seat? on another forum everyone said they paid £146.50 and we just rang and was quoted £200 just a month after they purchased theirs :wacko: was certain on getting it now not so sure? x

Anyone here got the volvo cobination seat? on another forum everyone said they paid £146.50 and we just rang and was quoted £200 just a month after they purchased theirs :wacko: was certain on getting it now not so sure? x

A friend of mine has just got this and she ended up paying more than was originally quoted. Apparently they have only just put their prices up.

Oh that's annoying if they have put their prices up :nope:

What amount of VAT were they charging on it? If it's 20% then they need to recalculate it, as it should be 5%. That could reduce things a bit, and still make it cheaper than a Britax-badge Multi Tech.

No they have put their prices up, the guy I spoke to in the garage phoned his head office and there wasn't anything that could be done about it (it was 5% VAT).

I was so excited about it, now going for one off carseat.se - just out of spite :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->