Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

I think you can still use the referral code with the 10% off so you should get $10 more off :)

Okay so I've been looking more into extended rear facing. I have a few questions for you.

When do I know it's the right time to switch to a convertible seat? Right now Emma has a Graco Safeseat that goes up to 30 pounds. She isn't even close to that weight. In fact she isn't even half of that weight yet. But do I keep her in an infant seat as long as possible? Or is a convertible seat safer? She still has one more notch to go as far as the height as well so I think she'll be good for a while but I'm considering my options with convertibles for when the time comes. Do convertibles tend to take up more room back there? We have a tiny car. A Honda Fit to be exact. The seat in there now is pretty scrunched. Just curious about everything I guess!

It really depends, they are both really safe. Some say convertibles are safer because they sit up higher. An issue with rear facing is they can come out of the seat, like fly out of the top of the seat kwim? And it can happen more in infant seats than a convertible because convertibles sit up higher. BUT if you are using the seat properly and the harness is at or below their shoulders while rear facing and tight and chest chip at armpit level you aren't going to have that problem in either seat.

Some babies like convertibles better because they can sit up higher so they see more.

But really it's all up to preference, and of course them fitting. Like I said harness needs to be at or below their shoulders, never over for rear facing...it's the opposite for forward facing. And the need to have atleast 1 inch of hard shell above their head still. As long as they meet those guidelines, and are within the weight limit either are very safe used properly 100% of the time.

Convertibles usually take up less room because they sit up more....the exception can be the radian because it can be hard to get a more upright install. Depending on the brand it can be between 30-45 degree angle...45degree is for newborns, so with say 5mo and up, when they can sit up more on their own, they can be up to 30-35 degree angle, again depending on the brand.

I've seen some talking about the Honda Fit on my car seat forum I'm a part of so I can check that thread I saw and see which convertibles were recommended for that car :)

Ok I'm looking now and someone said for the middle position of the fit a True Fit and Britax seats...like a Marathon, Boulevard and so on. But Britax are really over priced for what they are now, they only have a RF limit of 35 which is on the lower end. True Fit has the same but it's much less expensive. Also under 22lbs you don't have to use the head rest portion of the seat so it takes up even less room.

Also do be aware that the Fit doesn't allow the backs of the front seats to touch the rear facing car seats.

I'm reading another thread and it says the Radian will fit in the middle and works because it fits over the front seats...like doesn't touch it. So that is the one I have and it RF to 45lbs if you get the 80SL or XTSL so that's a great one, highest weight limit in the US so far.

But most say it will fit almost any convertible in the center position as long as you can get a good install. I would go to babies r us and they will let you try out seats in your car. They don't carry the Radian but you could try the True Fit, MyRide and some Britax seats..a few others too.

I was going to say that the Radian fits, but barely, in my Civic. It makes for less leg room for the front passengers. Maybe the different shape of the Fit seats make it fit better? :shrug:

But I love my Radian and wouldn't trade it! Will be getting another one when the next one grows out of the infant seat we already have.

Yeah I read that it looks like it can't touch the passenger seat in the Fit because of the advanced air bags. But that the middle seat's belt is a bit off center so it makes it touch the drivers seat and not the passenger so it works well.

I love my Radian too :D

Thanks so much hun! I'll look into the radian once she grows out of this one. :thumbup: I'm kind of excited to try a new one out. I can see where these would be addicting. :haha: Thanks to you mommyof3co, I am for sure going to do extended rear facing now. So thank you!! :flower::flower:

I'm so glad that you have decided to!!! Hopefully more will decide to too :)

I am going to ERF and I have a 96 astro van where the middle seat is a half seat. (Seat type 26 on this website). Is it safe to rear face in the middle seat even though it is only a half seat?

I have a question, sorry if it's been asked before! We have a Britax car seat, can't remember which one but it's suitable from birth to about 4 years and is rear and forward facing. When we were having it fitted, the guy said it's designed to be a forward facing seat rather than a rear and is more stable that way. We've tried it in the car both ways and it doesn't move about as much when it's forward facing.

We still have it rear facing and intend to for another while to come but wonder if it would be safer to have her forward facing because of the type of seat?

I am going to ERF and I have a 96 astro van where the middle seat is a half seat. (Seat type 26 on this website). Is it safe to rear face in the middle seat even though it is only a half seat?

Do you mean it's a bench seat but the middle spot is small? Or is just a chair in the middle nothing on either side? The first option is def safe. The other it depends on the brand, some seats require that every bit of the base be on the car's seat, some don't. But of course making sure you can get a good install in that seat is most important, using one of the outboard seats would be safer if you get a better install there :)

I have a question, sorry if it's been asked before! We have a Britax car seat, can't remember which one but it's suitable from birth to about 4 years and is rear and forward facing. When we were having it fitted, the guy said it's designed to be a forward facing seat rather than a rear and is more stable that way. We've tried it in the car both ways and it doesn't move about as much when it's forward facing.

We still have it rear facing and intend to for another while to come but wonder if it would be safer to have her forward facing because of the type of seat?

I would have to imagine if it was marketed as a forward/rear facing seat it has fully passed all testing. The only movement that matters in when installing a rear facing seat is at the belt path, it shouldn't be able to move more than 1in at the belt path. The top, back part of the seat is ok to move. It is designed and tested that way so it's fine. A properly installed seat is the most important thing though, they all have to pass safety testing. Rear facing properly installed will always be safer than properly installed forward facing.

Cool thanks, I'm going back and forth with my husband, me saying rear facing is best, him worrying about the design of the chair! :dohh:

It is two bucket seats with a small seat in the middle which also folds down to a console https://www.superlambauto.com/seat-types.aspx its easier if you look at the picture I forgot to put in the link last time. Seat Type 26.

We get a good install in the middle seat (the seat is tight doesn't move and touches a lot of the seat) I was just concerned because the middle seat would only go to mid back height on an adult so if the car seat went backwards into the seat and tipped forwards it wouldn't hit the seat.

Does it install well in your car? What part feels loose on it? Some seats aren't compatible with certain cars so maybe that one isn't? I would think if you had it fitted though they would have told you that. You have to be careful, atleast here in the US, some people that claim they are professionals aren't really certified techs...like example, people that work at babies r us, so some advice they give isn't really correct

It is two bucket seats with a small seat in the middle which also folds down to a console https://www.superlambauto.com/seat-types.aspx its easier if you look at the picture I forgot to put in the link last time. Seat Type 26.

We get a good install in the middle seat (the seat is tight doesn't move and touches a lot of the seat) I was just concerned because the middle seat would only go to mid back height on an adult so if the car seat went backwards into the seat and tipped forwards it wouldn't hit the seat.

Oh yeah that's def safe :) Our seat is similar, our middle seat is much smaller...ours folds down too for access to the trunk. The rebound thing is ok, the height of the seat might be an issue when you go to forward facing, and especially with a booster. Alot require that there a headrest and support on the entire back of the booster.

Thanks so much the cars manual had nothing about rear facing car seats. Probably because it is so old.

Sounds like you have the same seat as us Lu, mine is more wobbly RF as well. Guess we just have to trust that it's ok! :)

I just got an email that diapers.com has the Radians on sale for anyone interested.

The XTSL is $269.99
The 80 is $239.99
and the 65 (40lb rf limit) is $199.99

I'm sure you can still use my referral code to get another $10 off that too and it's free shipping :)

^^ That's $50 less than I got mine for! Snatch them up!! I'd get one now for Meerkat if I had the extra dough lying around. :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->