'Reasons' not to drink on a hen weekend...

_dreamer_

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
Well I am going away for the weekend abroad for a hen do at the end of April, and don't want to tell anyone I am TTC (except one friend who will be one of two I am sharing a room with and shes not the bride to be).

I will be in my 2ww and don't want to drink just in case I have fallen pg (i know some people do, but im not a big drinker and have completely stopped while ttc). Everyone will be drinking, and the bride to be is really quite a pushy person, she always buys drinks and gives them to people even when they say they are not drinking and then makes them feel guilty if they try and argue they didnt want it (!)

I need a really good excuse for not being able to drink...was thinking of saying I am on antibiotics for something but needs to be something that doesnt make you poorly so I can still enjoy myself during the weekend!

Anyone got any ideas/previous illnesses I could use...

Hmm... you could say you are just getting over a sinus infection but still finishing up your antibiotics pack? Or a UTI/ bladder infection? Those are some common things I can think of.

Have a GREAT weekend! Hopefully it will help take your focus off the dreaded 2ww! Have fun sweetie :happydance:

The ones above are really good for why you would be on antibiotics, the only other things I can think of are:

- Alcohol gives you migraines and you want to be able to enjoy the night (this might get you out of drinking at the wedding as well if you are going)
- Detox - will probably have to give up eating nice things as well though:)

Hope you have a great time!

if u were preg the placenta doesnt start wrking till 12wk anyways :? i will b fine x

if your not too embarrassed you could say you have BV, bacterial vaginosis (or something like that im tired lol) and you cant drink whilst on the antibiotics for because it makes you seriously ill (severe vomiting etc).hopefully shell be too embarrassed to argue!

How about the ever popular anti-depressants? I know that may sound odd, but. . . it's something?!

-or-

Bad seafood? Allude to an upset tummy, and ETC. No one wants to hear gory details of food poisoning!
-or-
Tell them you want to be the designated driver! They may not even care at that point!

The baby has its own blood supply until 8 weeks so its ok to drink before then.

i'm still drinking until i get my BFP since it doesn't hurt at this point and drinking sometimes leads to babies :D

Metranidazole, (sp?) antibiotic which makes you VERY sick if you have even a sip of alcohol with it, (like an extreme hangover), as such you have to wait till it's out of your system before drinkig again... That is, you could have 'finished' the pack on a Friday, but not be able to drink all weekend in case. This way noone needs to see you taking tablets either. I had them in the past for an infected mouth ulcer. They're used a lot for dental problems, and infections down below.
Hope you enjoy the weekend, x

Take sparkling water with you and put it in a champagne glass with a strawberry! Or if you are out at a bar, just order lemon lime and bitters, or soda water with lime and tell everyone it has vodka in it!

If you can tell one person you can buy a drink and then get her to drink it when no one is looking! My sister did that in her first tri and we were none the wiser!

Good luck and have a great time!

Thanks for your ideas ladies, really appreciated. no-one will be driving as we are abroad so unfortunately can't use that one. think i will stick with the antibiotics and use one of the things you've come up with!

To the guys saying its fine to drink until 8/12 wks, you shouldnt be putting statements like that - this may be your opinion, but the official guidelines tell women to avoid any alcohol in the first 3 months. (UK not sure about elsewhere)

Alcohol can reduce fertility, and in early pregnancy can increase risk of MC. Some people may read what you've said and not know any of the other advice to make an informed decision that fits them. I don't want to take the risk so have cut it out. . before implantation occurs there may not be an issue, but thats our decision. Depending on when I ovulate I will be around 10-14dpo so if it is our month, I may even get a BFP by then.

This is from the BUPA website:

"Your baby is particularly vulnerable to alcohol during the first three months of pregnancy, when his or her organs and nervous system are developing. Because alcohol is processed by the liver and this is one of the last organs to mature, drinking any more than one or two units of alcohol once or twice a week even after three months can still cause problems for your developing baby."

Official NICE guidelines:

"Pregnant women should avoid drinking alcohol in the first three months of pregnancy because it may be associated with an increased risk of miscarriage"

Take sparkling water with you and put it in a champagne glass with a strawberry! Or if you are out at a bar, just order lemon lime and bitters, or soda water with lime and tell everyone it has vodka in it!

If you can tell one person you can buy a drink and then get her to drink it when no one is looking! My sister did that in her first tri and we were none the wiser!

Good luck and have a great time!

Oooo devious I like this one! Hmmm maybe I could make this work... thanks hun :haha:

If you're going to use antibiotics then be really specific about it because it's the most see-through excuse in the world otherwise. Worse still, people will naturally assume that not drinking coupled with a vague excuse of taking antibiotics means you're pregnant.

I use that the lemonade and lime and say it's got vodka in it - and if she buys one "accidentally" drop it x

Whilst ttc i have stopped drinking completely and at the local club i used to drink halves of lager with lime, now i drink lime and lemonade, no-one knows, or have coke and says its got whatever in, disguising a soft drink is a good way :) i have my sisters hen weekend in a few month and hope i wont need an excuse to not drink because i'll have a genuine one :) xx

Or just dont say anything. drink orange juice or something so no one would be any wiser and wouldnt ask you anyway :)

I have done that and no-one even noticed anything as they were to busy having fun to notice what i was drinking

don't stress yourself. because alcohol may not give any harm but stress of lying about why you don't drink may give you unwanted tension.
So, stress is the thing you should avoid while TTC. Take a glass of champagne and enjoy your weekend with your friends. You don't have to drink a bottle after all.

don't stress yourself. because alcohol may not give any harm but stress of lying about why you don't drink may give you unwanted tension.
So, stress is the thing you should avoid while TTC. Take a glass of champagne and enjoy your weekend with your friends. You don't have to drink a bottle after all.

Lol very true about stress, although I'm not feeling stressed about it just thinking how I can go about it. If it starts stressing me out, I would just end up telling the bride-to-be (it'll her that notices me not drinking if anyone) but we are trying to keep it to ourselves and she works with my OH. It's not the odd glass of champagne/wine/drink I'm thinking of, I know that one or two drinks wouldn't cause harm, its the fact its friday morning - sunday in a 4* all inclusive hotel with 2 nights out so they will be drinking through the day and then when we go out in the evening too...!

just take the drink if someone buys you one, and then leave it somewhere, or buy a coke or orange juice as it normally comes in the same size glass as an alcoholic one,

i dont think you should make any excuses it just makes it sound like your hiding something.
i went to a family party and got my own drinks, i had shloer and lemonade coz it looks like white wine ha x
after a while people wont realise what your drinking, and then you can pass other people your drinks x

Well if your friend is pushy, then I'd avoid any excuses that involve your vagina or lady parts. Bladder or yeast infection being one of them. Don't want to draw attention to that area! :haha:

Since its the season for it, say you are trying a new allergy med and you are trying to avoid side effects and alcohol increases them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->