• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Reasons you SHOULD breastfeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not read the whole thread yet, I will do now but asked a question in another thread and was directed here by dragonfly (thank you again).

My question was this;

I am counted as malnourished for some reason (unsure what, as it was being investigated when I got pregnant) my body is not taking all the stuff it needs from food (or even supplements), even though I am eating all the right things. If I chose to BF (FF first two, BF my fourth, will most likely try and see how it goes with this one if I am lucky enough to bring it home) would my malnourishment affect the baby or does it have to be extreme, like in Africa? Should I talk to a HCP?

Thank you for any help :flower:

I hope they can get your malnourishment figured out. It must be scary to be dealing with, especially while pregnant! I myself don't know the answer to your question, but hopefully BT will. Good luck with finding out the cause and hopefully it's something they can fix and you won't even have to worry about it while BFing. :hugs:

I have not read the whole thread yet, I will do now but asked a question in another thread and was directed here by dragonfly (thank you again).

My question was this;

I am counted as malnourished for some reason (unsure what, as it was being investigated when I got pregnant) my body is not taking all the stuff it needs from food (or even supplements), even though I am eating all the right things. If I chose to BF (FF first two, BF my fourth, will most likely try and see how it goes with this one if I am lucky enough to bring it home) would my malnourishment affect the baby or does it have to be extreme, like in Africa? Should I talk to a HCP?

Thank you for any help :flower:

Your malnourishment would most likely have to be extreme for it to affect your baby. You should be able to breastfeed successfully. Is your malnutrition just an issue in this pregnancy or has it always been a concern for you. What is a HCP? If I were you, I would ask what you are specifically deficent in. If they aren't doing much about it then I'm not sure you need to be too concerned.
Current research seems to suggest that your body is actually able to absorb more vitamins, minerals and nutrition from your food while you are breastfeeding. For example: most women don't need a calcium supplement while they are breastfeeding because their bones become more porous and able to remineralize using the food they eat.

This article might be able to offer you some helpful information-

https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/mom-vitamins.html

Vitamins & other supplements for breastfeeding mothers
By Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

If you eat a reasonably-well balanced diet, vitamin supplements are not considered necessary for breastfeeding mothers.

This is even true for mothers who are eating for three during tandem nursing, or while breastfeeding during pregnancy (see Nutrition for mom in our Nursing During Pregnancy and Tandem Nursing FAQ).

According to Nutrition During Lactation (Hamosh, 1991):

"The evidence does not warrant routine vitamin-mineral supplementation of lactating women... Encourage lactating women to follow dietary guidelines that promote a generous intake of nutrients from fruits and vegetables, whole-grain breads and cereals, calcium-rich dairy products, and protein-rich foods such as meats, fish and legumes. Such a diet would ordinarily supply a sufficient quantity of essential nutrients... Encourage sufficient intake of fluids -- especially water, juice, and milk -- to alleviate natural thirst. It is not necessary to encourage fluid intake above this level... Calcium, multivitamin-mineral supplements, or both may be advised when dietary sources are marginal and it is unlikely that appropriate dietary practices will or can be followed."

What if I do NOT eat a reasonably-well balanced diet?
Except in special circumstances, women in developed countries are not likely to have nutritional deficiencies that will affect their milk.
The Recommended Intakes (RI) for nutrients have a wide safety margin built in – if you do not meet the RI for a nutrient, it does not mean that you are deficient. If a mother does not get adequate amounts of certain nutrients (such as vitamin B6, vitamin B12 or iodine) it can decrease nutrient levels in her milk, however this is usually only a problem in areas of malnutrition. The best solution in such cases is to improve or supplement the mother’s diet. For other nutrients (including folic acid, iron, calcium, copper, magnesium, zinc) milk levels will be fine even if the mother’s intake is too low.

•The nutrients most likely to be of concern for a woman eating an average (unsupplemented) American diet of 2700 calories per day are calcium and zinc. However, your intake of calcium or zinc does not affect breastmilk levels of these minerals, so if supplements are needed, they are for your benefit -- not baby's.
(Hamosh, 1991; Lawrence & Lawrence, 2005)
•For mothers who are cutting calories:
Mothers who get 2200 calories per day may need extra calcium, zinc, magnesium, thiamin (vitamin B1), vitamin B-6 & vitamin E.

Mothers who get 1800 calories per day may need extra calcium, zinc, magnesium, thiamin, vitamin B6, vitamin E, folic acid, riboflavin (vitamin B2), phosphorus and iron.

Breastmilk levels of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, iron and folic acid are fine even if your diet is deficient. If supplements are needed, they are for your benefit -- not baby's.

Levels of B vitamins in breastmilk are related to the mother’s intake, but a deficiency in the mother serious enough to affect her breastfed baby is very rare in the United States.
(Hamosh, 1991; Lawrence & Lawrence, 2005)

•Mothers who eat no animal products or are otherwise at risk for vitamin B-12 deficiency need to get adequate amounts of vitamin B12 from supplements or fortified foods.
•Mothers who have little exposure to sunlight need to get adequate amounts of vitamin D from supplements or vitamin D-rich foods.
•Mothers who smoke cigarettes may benefit from additional iodine.

What if I would like to take extra vitamins or other nutritional supplements? Is this safe?
•Most mineral supplements (e.g., iron, calcium, copper, chromium, zinc) taken by the mother do not affect breastmilk levels.
•Water soluble vitamin supplements (e.g., B vitamins, vitamin C) taken by the mother usually increase breastmilk levels. Breastmilk levels of some water soluble vitamins, such as vitamin C, only increase up to a certain point, then remain steady – even if mom increases her dose.
•Fat soluble vitamin supplements (e.g., vitamins A & E) taken by the mother can concentrate in human milk, and thus excessive amounts may be harmful to a breastfeeding baby.
•The safety of herbs and other nutritional supplements should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis – some are safe and some are not.

does sage really lower your milk? I want some stuffing with my dinner :(

does sage really lower your milk? I want some stuffing with my dinner :(

Yes, Sage can reduce milk supply when used in large amounts. However, if you are using it for culinary purposes and just to season your food it's not likely to have an affect on your milk. Some mothers are more senstive to herbs than others and if you do notice an issue then you would probably want to stay away from it while breastfeeding. But, I'd say use it for your stuffing and if you notice that your supply drops don't use it again until you're done breastfeeding.

There are also other herbs to avoid while breastfeeding. This article will give you more information-

https://www.kellymom.com/herbal/herbs_to_avoid.html

Herbs to avoid while breastfeeding
By Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

•Herbs that may decrease milk supply
•Herbs that may be harmful to mom and/or baby
•Additional Information
Herbs that may decrease milk supply
Using large amounts of the following herbs and other natural remedies should be avoided while nursing because they have been known to decrease milk supply. The amounts of these herbs normally used in cooking are unlikely to be of concern; it's mainly the larger amounts that might be used therapeutically that could pose a problem. However, some moms have noticed a decrease in supply after eating things like dressing with lots of sage, sage tea (often recommended when moms are weaning), lots of strong peppermint candies or menthol cough drops, or other foods/teas with large amounts of the particular herb. These herbs are sometimes used by nursing mothers to treat oversupply, or when weaning.

•Black Walnut
•Chickweed
•Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum)
•Lemon Balm
•Oregano
•Parsley (Petroselinum crispum)
•Peppermint (Mentha piperita)/Menthol
•Periwinkle Herb (Vinca minor)
•Sage (Salvia officinalis)
•Sorrel (Rumex acetosa)
•Spearmint
•Thyme
•Yarrow

Herbs that may be harmful to mom and/or baby
Other herbs should be avoided while nursing due to their potential for harming mom and/or baby. Here are a few herbs that are generally considered to be contraindicated for nursing mothers. This is by no means a complete list.

•Bladderwrack
•Buckthorn
•Chaparral
•Coltsfoot (Farfarae folium)
•Dong Quai (Angelica Root)
•Elecampane
•Ephedra / Ephedra sinica / Ma Huang
•Ginseng (Panax ginseng)
•Indian Snakeroot
•Kava-kava (piper methysticum)
•Petasites root
•Phen-fen, herbal
•Rhubarb
•Star anise
•Tiratricol (TRIAC)
•Uva Ursi
•Wormwood

Additional Information
Hidden Hindrances to a Healthy Milk Supply by Becky Flora, IBCLC

Too much milk: Sage and other Herbs (this website)

Birth control pills are also well known for decreasing milk supply, particularly the ones that contain estrogen.

Sudafed (a decongestant) can also decrease milk supply, particularly with regular use.

Individual herb listings (this website)

Disclaimer: Most herbal treatments have not been thoroughly researched, particularly in regard to lactation. Herbs are drugs, and some caution is necessary. I am presenting this data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and am not liable for its accuracy nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on this information.

Page last modified: 03/28/2010
Written: 05/12/1998

humm I had a lot when I was preg with Alex as It was coming up to xmas ,i dont know if supply went down as William wasnt on as much but not is never off me! I think maybe now and again I will have it. I love stuffing.

Birth control pills are also well known for decreasing milk supply, particularly the ones that contain estrogen.
see I dont like that i dont want anything to interfere like this as I would have to have that every day and I am going to doc tomorrow to ask about this. She knows nothing about breastfeeding though.

humm I had a lot when I was preg with Alex as It was coming up to xmas ,i dont know if supply went down as William wasnt on as much but not is never off me! I think maybe now and again I will have it. I love stuffing.

see I dont like that i dont want anything to interfere like this as I would have to have that every day and I am going to doc tomorrow to ask about this. She knows nothing about breastfeeding though.

I wish there were a pill that men could take to prevent pregnancy!:haha:

If there were, I know quite a few men who should be on a list to be force fed them! :haha:

If there were, I know quite a few men who should be on a list to be force fed them! :haha:

I know! And maybe it would help decrease their sex drive.:haha: I know my sex drive went down the drain when I was taking the pill.

Well, they do have chemical castration, which is actually the depo shot, but that makes it impossible for them to get an erection, and it's still fun to have at least once in a while... :haha:

Well, they do have chemical castration, which is actually the depo shot, but that makes it impossible for them to get an erection, and it's still fun to have at least once in a while... :haha:

Yes, it is fun...once in a while. Chemical castration sounds so aweful! :wacko:

They have it so dam easy dont they! then we get called hormonal. not surprised with all that goes on in our bodies and the meds we then have to take to stop getting pregnant so that you can have fun :growlmad:I havent got a sex drive at all any more anyway :cry:I am to tired, I dont care about it and still sore down there. I be happy never to do it again the way I feel. I am scared of getting pregnant again most of all. one or both of us carries the cycstic fibroses gene and we where lucky to have two children without it as we found that out after William Alex now carries the gene and we dont know about William as they wont test him now unless he wants to when older. I dont want any more any way for a lot more reasons.

poor Alex is sensitive to what I eat in my milk, if I drink milk few hours later he spews all his feeds up. And if i stay away from fairy he is fine. Worked that one out now.

My doctor printed out that Women's Health website-- she gives it to all of her new patients so that they understand what they could gain from breastfeeding.

Honestly, I wasn't going to make the decision until the time the baby got here, but looking back... my brother is 9 years old now, and remembering my mom getting up at 2am to put a formula bottle together for him... that was a big pain in the butt. Breastfeeding just seems easier.

I'll breastfeed for at LEAST 6 months. Maybe I can make it to a year... but I don't know how I feel about a little sucker with teeth always wanting my boob! LOL

My doctor printed out that Women's Health website-- she gives it to all of her new patients so that they understand what they could gain from breastfeeding.

Honestly, I wasn't going to make the decision until the time the baby got here, but looking back... my brother is 9 years old now, and remembering my mom getting up at 2am to put a formula bottle together for him... that was a big pain in the butt. Breastfeeding just seems easier.

I'll breastfeed for at LEAST 6 months. Maybe I can make it to a year... but I don't know how I feel about a little sucker with teeth always wanting my boob! LOL
well mine has lots of teeth and I dont get bit,. you dont bite when sucking :winkwink: but I got a nip once or twice.

I BF my son until he was one. He had about 8 teeth at that point, and he never tried to nibble me :)

They have it so dam easy dont they! then we get called hormonal. not surprised with all that goes on in our bodies and the meds we then have to take to stop getting pregnant so that you can have fun :growlmad:I havent got a sex drive at all any more anyway :cry:I am to tired, I dont care about it and still sore down there. I be happy never to do it again the way I feel. I am scared of getting pregnant again most of all. one or both of us carries the cycstic fibroses gene and we where lucky to have two children without it as we found that out after William Alex now carries the gene and we dont know about William as they wont test him now unless he wants to when older. I dont want any more any way for a lot more reasons.

poor Alex is sensitive to what I eat in my milk, if I drink milk few hours later he spews all his feeds up. And if i stay away from fairy he is fine. Worked that one out now.

A low or a nonexistent sex drive while breastfeeding is very, very normal. It's the body's way of preventing pregnancy until your baby is ready for a sibling. I feel you on the soreness down there. I was sore for 6 months after my son was born.

Yes, the idea of being bitten can be scary but I can tell you that it ususally only happens once or twice while they are trying to figure out the whole teeth thing. Giving him something as a distraction, like a toy, can help. Never flick, hit or pinch a baby for biting (not that you would but I have heard other people advise this) because this may scare a baby and cause a nursing strike. Stopping the feed and setting him on the floor ususally works well. Then, resume after five minutes and repeat if you are bitten again. Good for you for choosing to breastfeed! :thumbup:

Can I ask a question please? How do you know you have a successful latch and do babies often come off and then relatch?

I'm asking because with Aidan when I was trying to get a latch I got sort of a tugging sensation and quite a lot of pain. He then used to come off and scream as if he wasnt getting anything? I would then struggle to get a latch again as in didn't know how to hold him or how to get him on the breast when he was crying and pulling his head back :( when I asked my hv she just popped him on my breast no problem but never actually showed me how to do it?
Xx

Can I ask a question please? How do you know you have a successful latch and do babies often come off and then relatch?

I'm asking because with Aidan when I was trying to get a latch I got sort of a tugging sensation and quite a lot of pain. He then used to come off and scream as if he wasnt getting anything? I would then struggle to get a latch again as in didn't know how to hold him or how to get him on the breast when he was crying and pulling his head back :( when I asked my hv she just popped him on my breast no problem but never actually showed me how to do it?
Xx

When my son had issues latching I would use my thumb to pull his chin down once he attached to my nipple to make his latch wider. Make sure his lips are completely visible and not sucked in. Make sure his tongue is over his bottom gums and lip. I remember feeling that tugging feeling when my son's bottom lip and top lip were sucked in. Hope that helps.

ETA: And to answer your question- Yes, a baby will latch and unlatch and relatch if they cannot get a comfortable latch. Don't worry, they usually figure it out eventually.

I posted this thread in third tri in case you are all interested- https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-third-trimester/525046-breastfeeding.html#post8944704 (I posted it earlier but it doesn't look like it came through.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back