Recent home birth info book?

xxembobxx

Reaction score
I'm looking for info on home births and although there's loads of websites out there I find I have loads of silly questions still.
I'd love a book and have seen a few authors names pop up but they all seem to have been printed over a decade ago!
Is there any recent ones out there or does it not really matter? I figure birthing has stayed the same for centuries but I'm sure attitudes and standard practices haven't :shrug:

Nicky Wessons handbook is a good one. In practical terms home birth hasn't changed in decades :)

my midwife have done lots of births with all kind of seneriarios. Her book is "count it all joy! birth stories by Judy Kay Jones

I'm reading the Nicky Wesson Guide to Homebirth and it's pretty good - and very informative :)

I just downloaded Nicky Wessons book for on my Kindle. Hope it's as informative as you ladies have said :)

I got Nicky Wesson's Guide to Homebirth and am finding it rather dated and quite a bit irrelevant.
I searched for something it a bit more up-to-date but can't seem to find anything :nope:
Not to say the book isn't helpful but it goes on a lot about doctors kicking you off their patient list if you ask for a home birth - does this still happen? I haven't even spoken to a doctor about this pregnancy, they just tell you to make an appt. with MW.
Also it mentions a lot about the flying squad :shrug: I'm assuming it must be for women in NZ/Australia? Not relevant to the UK.
Lots of reference points for further research was a plus but I would have liked stories of how to obtain a homebirth, what the usual routine is and a list of things you might need.
Haven't read it all yet so I may be judging prematurely although I skipped ahead to one part and it was stories where things have gone wrong and was about one baby dying after 3 days. Although it was told in as positive a way as possible it still brings tears to my eyes when I think about it now :cry:

Yeah I've skipped a lot of it actually, it was quite disappointing wasn't it :( Wish I'd got another Ina May book instead now

I really love the book I am reading. US based and it has helped settle my nerves. It is on amazon Count it all joy birth stories with lessons for life Judy kay jones

Thank you for that tripletsOMG - I'll have a look to see where I can buy it but is it about US home births? I know birthing is the same the world over but the institutions and medical practices vary quite a lot between the US and UK.
And TegansMama I'll have a look at Ina May also. I have heard good comments about her before.
Congratulations on getting wed soon too - how exciting - have you got everything sorted? I watch quite a few wedding programs and there seems to be so much to do in the last week!

And TegansMama I'll have a look at Ina May also. I have heard good comments about her before.
Congratulations on getting wed soon too - how exciting - have you got everything sorted? I watch quite a few wedding programs and there seems to be so much to do in the last week!

I have Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May that I really really enjoyed. She uses a lot of "hippy" speak - psychedelic and smooching being my favourites :lol: - but I love the way she makes birth sound like a normal thing. Something that just happens!

Oh hun, the wedding. Don't remind me :lol: I am stressed to the nines, mostly with family being unable to decide whether or not they're coming to be honest, and I'm drawing the line at tomorrow, if they haven't said yes, I'm taking it as a big fat no! :lol: OH and me haven't even bought our outfits yet (we're not having a "big" wedding, nor a party after, neither of us are big drinkers and there are massive rifts in both our families that would cause tension if we invited extended family) and I haven't bought my little flowergirls dresses either... We have a dilemma there, Tegan is in 2-3 years clothes and my niece Lacey is in 9-12. So it's either get a "babyish" dress for Tegan so they both match, or dresses that are different. GAH!!

Sorry for the rant :lol:

I'm sorry I asked! :haha:
Awww so much stress on what should be a happy day. Hopefully all who want to wish you well will be there.
Tegan must be excited - if only for the new pretty dress lol.

Count it all joy is about homebirths in the midwest (where i live) and its on amazon.com

I'm sorry I asked! :haha:
Awww so much stress on what should be a happy day. Hopefully all who want to wish you well will be there.
Tegan must be excited - if only for the new pretty dress lol.

I'm feeling much better today, 99% of the issues up there are sorted and now I'm just excited! :happydance:
She is excited. BUt she's a really excitable child who gets excited about everything and squeals "I'M SO EXCITEDDDD" at the top of her cute little lungs :lol: :cloud9:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->