recycling

k8y

Reaction score
just wondered what the recycling policies were like in different areas,

We have 4 different bins,

a big green one for food waste, garden waste and thin card which has a little kitchen caddy that you keep inside and fill up then tip this into the big one outside, your not allowed to use plastic bags in here and its collected every two weeks.

A black big bin which is for all landfill stuff (all that left after recycling) collected every two weeks.

a small green one for mixed glass, batteries and printer cartridges

a black tub for newspapers and squashed milk bottle, paper, aeresols and tin cans

I think its fab that our area is so good at recycling. It was a bit tricky getting the hang of it to start but we have all been doing it for ages now and just do it without thinking. What is recycling like in different areas?

The only down point is that they only collect either one every other week and so you can imiagine in the summer we get maggotts in the food bin :wacko:

We have the normal landfill rubbish, no wheelie bins allowed, just put your black bin bags on the edge of property.[London]

A big white bag for plastic recycling

A big red bag for garden waste, but no soil

A green box for all other recylcling, they sort it into different recycle 'groups' right on the truck.. tins&cans, paper, carboard and glass all go seperately

A small green bin for food waste. We tend to freeze food waste and put it outside the night before tp avoid maggots in the summer

All rubbish is collected once a week

In Bristol we had a black box for paper, glass, tins, foil, clothes, batteries etc. A small brown bin for food waste and could leave card by the black box. All of that was collected weekly. Then we had a black wheelie bin for landfill, collected fortnightly. You could also pay for a big green wheelie bin for garden waste which was collected fortnightly in summer and monthly in winter I think. We didn't bother with it as we didn't have much of a garden.

Here we have a wheelie bin with a blue box inside, paper and thin card in the bottom and glass and tins in the blue box. Big orange bags for plastic bottles. That's all collected monthly. Green bags for garden waste are collected fortnightly in summer. Landfill wheelie bin is collected weekly.

Although we have plastic collected here, which we didn't in Bristol, I prefer Bristol's scheme (we just took our bottles to the recycling point at Sainsbury's once a month). I don't like only having a monthly collection here, our recycling bin gets pretty full and I don't like not having a food waste collection. We need to sort ourselves out with a compost bin in the garden really.

When we had the snow in February they didn't come to collect the recycling and didn't arrange an alternative collection, and they hadn't done one since just before xmas, so we had all of our recycling from xmas (wrapping paper etc) waiting until March for collection.

oh my god till march ! thats awful !

In my town in Minnesota USA, we only have 1 bin for all plastics and glass. Then we have this little box thing that is for paper and cardboard. I've noticed other towns are different. And they only come every other week to pick them up, and our stuff is always over flowing.

interesting thread. Nice to learn what other areas do :D

Here we have a bin for our landfill waste (the stuff that's not recycled)

A green bin with organic wastes (we have a small one in our kitchen that we line with newspaper, which we wrap up and take out nightly to a bigger one in the garage that has a lid that seals).

And two blue boxes for recyclables (we don't have to sort these by type, they all go in the box)

and for yard waste we can put it in a bag/or trashcan but have to adhere a label to it

everything is collected weekly (the yard waste is only collected through the summer)

Here in Ft worth we get a huge bin for all the regular trash and then another huge bin for anything that can be recycled..it's not seperated here. I have heard of some places here that weigh what you recycle and you get money based on it! To help encourage more people to recycle

Here in Ft worth we get a huge bin for all the regular trash and then another huge bin for anything that can be recycled..it's not seperated here. I have heard of some places here that weigh what you recycle and you get money based on it! To help encourage more people to recycle

Oh money for it that sounds like a good plan to me, I could buy more nappies !! haha. :thumbup:

I think its roughly the same everywhere now with recyling. Our guys are out collecting as a I type and its only 07.15 am. I can here all the glass crashing into the truck. I love that noise. Its funny how when they started the recycling scheme it was so confusing but now its just easy.

I live in Suffolk and we have a brown bin for garden waste and compostable things (left over food, tea bags etc), blue bin for all plastic, tins, paper and card and a grey bin for all landfill stuff.

We personally keep everything else we can recyle - glass, bags, tetra packs etc etc and take it to the tip ourselves :)

Here we also have three different ton/and one plastic bag/which is in some areas also a ton)
each have a diff colour and I think it started in the early to mid nineties to seperate all the rubbish.

We've got a yellow bag for everything thats got the 'green dot' (a ying yang sort of symbol with arrows )thats all for typical packaging material , like cornflake boxes , alloy take away and anything plastic, cans etc.
We have got the brown ton that for biological waster for those who don't have a compost pile. That's where all compostable stuff comes in such as fruits peel, veggies, eggshells etc.
We have got a blue ton that's is for paper and cardboard. Additionally the standard black/anthrazit ton where all the other rubbish that doesnt fit into the other categories

Glass if it is one way glass , has public collection places(huge container ) and gets seperated into green(coloured) glass, white glass and brown glass. Anyother kind of bottles are given back to the shops .

We are allowed one large garbage bin full or one black bag per week to go to the landfill (we almost never have than much), all of our recycling (paper, plastic, glass, cans, etc.) goes in a blue bag and there is no limit on that, then they recently started compost pickup which can have any yard waste or food scraps and that is put in any sort of bin so long as you put a big orange sticker around it or put it out in a paper bag.

I live in a condo townhouse area, so we have a communal garbage bin and large recycling bins. We only have the blue for cans/bottles and the black for paper products.

I'm so disappointed that we don't have green bins. :hissy: All the regular households have them... but because we don't have individual pick up they won't do it here. :(

in my street we have a blue sack for cardboard/paper and a white sack for plastic/cans

in some areas of rhyl they have dif coloured wheelie bins for dis recycling and a small bin for food waste

Ours isn't great.

Green bin for household rubbish
Brown Bin for garden waste

Very small blue container for cardboard
Very small orange container for cans and glass, but no plastic or anything else.

That's it! We get our bin collected once every two weeks too so it's quite frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->