Red Rasberry Leaf Tea

Taking them past 37 weeks could contribute to going overdue.

Could you point us to a source for this? I've always heard RRLT was great at *all* stages after the 1st trimester, even as a lactation aid, labor aid, etc.

Also, does anyone know which is preferable or stronger, the pills or the actual tea?

I'll have a look and see if I can find anything. It's been a long time since I researched taking RLT. I read this in a few places so stopped at 37 weeks JIC it was right because Liam was 10 days overdue and I wanted to do anything possible to avoid having to fight induction with Amelia.

I still went overdue by 9 days with Amelia anyway x

I can't find ANYTHING on google that says about it increasing the risk of going overdue at all. I definitely read it a few times when I was pregnant with Amelia.

All i can see on google is that it could induce labour.

x

I'm using RLT and EPO. I tried RLT when ttc because it helps tone the uterus. Hope it helps all of us for a speedy labor!

I haven't read the replies so I assume it has been said but incase it hasn't, please don't start drinking it until you are passed 32 weeks minimum, some midwives say 36 weeks. It is quite powerful stuff and shouldn't be drunk too early, I swear by the stuff, I drank 3 cups a day from 34 weeks and the second stage labour was only 26 mins for a first baby, we'll never know what would have happened if I didn't drink it but it's enough evidence for me!

I'm thinking RRLT may do me some justice this time as I had a 19hr labor last time :wacko: wouldn't mind getting that down by quite a bit

With my son I took red raspberry leaf capsules from 37 weeks on and continued after giving birth. I can honestly say it helped loads. I had a 6 hour labor and it seemed like right after birth my uterus shrank so much, the doctors were seriously surprised. If you bf you will feel your uterus contracting and it may be a little painful every time lo latches on, at least that was my experience. I also took evening primrose oil capsules from 37 weeks on.

ETA, I went into labor at 39+3.

I'm 32 weeks and 2 days and started drinking this tea this week after reading up on it. Even though I'm a massive tea drinker (the milk and sugar type, I usually hate herbal teas with a passion), I was not looking forward to drinking this as it looks like cut grass (I've got a big bag of the loose leaf stuff) lol but it is really lovely! It's really nice and if it helps me have a good labour bring it on!

There is a great long thread here on baby & bump that I read for info regarding drinking this, especially as I had a preterm labour scare during second Tri. Hopefully any other ladies looking for info will find it helpful too: https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...eaf-tea-rlt-evening-primrose-oil-epo-faq.html

I started a cup a day at 32 weeks and moved it up to 2 cups/day at 35. It's so yummy! Since the weather is so hot lately, I make it with honey and chill it.

Is everyone keeping up with the RRLT? I have started making a big, strong carafe of it on Sunday and then drinking the ice tea over the week with lemonade. It's delicious! I'm not really worried about drinking too much, although I do notice I get slightly more Braxton Hicks when I up the amount.

I spoke with my mw the other day about rlt. She said under NO circumstances should it be drunk/taken before 36 weeks, and not at all if you've had a previous c section.

I spoke with my mw the other day about rlt. She said under NO circumstances should it be drunk/taken before 36 weeks, and not at all if you've had a previous c section.

Such important advice that I mentioned earlier in the thread but some people don't seem to understand how strong it can be, and I don't mean the earlier the better the labour I mean too early and can cause complications! I won't be drinking anything that fiddles with my uterus before 36 weeks! I have heard 32 weeks is ok though, but my mw also said 36.

So PLEASE everyone here drinking it in second trimester speak to a health professional or do some research.

My MWs flat out said it was fine while TTC and during every trimester and actually encourages it...so i guess the advice varies. :shrug: (im not referring to previous CS though as i havnt had one so havnt been advised based on that). Im not encouraging others to listen to a thing ive said. i agree. i think everyone should speak with their care provider, especially bc no two women are in the same health boat. But also just pointing out that there are different beliefs and the information isn't always merely googled simple bc it might go against a different theory.

My midwife has recently undertaken a herbal course due to so many women now taking herbal supplements. She said there's a lot of evidence that drinking it during the early trimesters can increase your risk of miscarriage. That's not saying you have 1 cup at 9 weeks and you will miscarry, but that it heightens the risk percentage dramatically. As I said, I can't take it anyway due to previous c section.

My MW is a certified herbalist... she actually creates and makes the tea that she gives me herself. (so maybe thats why, could be better than the stuff you get at the store or online, not sure)
but again, not a previous CS mommy, so could be different.

I should reiterate though, that was specifically from my MW about MY health. That is why seeking professional advice is best. Every woman is different. Any treatment (herbs included) should be based off the patient, not based off the general population.

The fact that on the box of the RLT I drank last time said not before 32 weeks says enough to me. It's not a risk I would take, I understand wanting to shorten second stage labour but to the extent you could be jeopardising the pregnancy? Not worth the risk for me so I would stick to the more cautious advice (which seems to be more widely advised). I drank it from either 34 or 36 (can't remember) and I had a 26 minute 2nd stage labour.

It's not merly about a shorter labor, at least for me. It does so much more. Than that it can prevent low iron and other deficienys etc it helps create a healthy uterus. But at any rate if u buy it from a company there could more items in it than just RRLT, thus the don't take before X week on the label (and I'm sure there's and element of covering their butts too). I trust my certified herbalist MW over a company's advice. But that's besides the point. Everyone is entitled to an informed decision. And since no two women are created equal then seeking professional advice is good. For some women, no they shouldn't take it. For others it coukd be exactly what they should be taking. But health interventions are to be based off the patient not just the general population. Which is why health care advice is important and not just reading about it on a pregnancy board. Or taking it bc someone else did or not taking it bc someone else decided to wait.

I agree! Worryingly though not many health professionals know a lot about it.

They don't. Sadly alternative medicine is not as well known.
I'm really glad I have someone who is actually knowledgeable on it tho and how it can't rally work and of course how it applies to me.

In time I hope more care givers learn about things like herbs and other remedies. I think starting here is good tho. When more women know about stuff like this, they (hopefully) start asking questions to their care givers. Supply in demand. Eventually if enough women want to know about it, hopefully more medical professionals will get certified etx

I did ask my midwife before I started drinking a cup a day, and she gave me the green light, but only limited me to 1 cup a day until I got to 37 weeks, and then I could increase to 2 or 3, which is exactly what I've been doing. I've been drinking a cup a day for nearly 3 weeks now, I'm new to RRLT, but I've already noticed that my uterine growing pains aren't nearly as painful as they were before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->